Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
T-Maxx vs. Savage SS >

T-Maxx vs. Savage SS

T-Maxx vs. Savage SS

Old 09-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: T-Maxx or Savage SS

Originally posted by XtremeMDX
Base your decision on what you will be using the truck for. If you are going to use it mainly for bashing, then Savage, the Savage has the plushest suspension in the market. It will land big jumps more consistenly compared to the T-Maxx but the cushy suspension is it's downfall if you will be racing. This is where the T-Maxx shines. Since it is lighter it is more nimble and more responsive. I think the HPI camp thinks the T-Maxx is less reliable because they theorize that since the TMX has less suspension travel it is proned to more breakage, maybe so but since the HPI is heavier then I would say that it is also more proned to breakage if not more since heavier objects when in motion carries more force.......Don't mind the reliability issue, if there was an issue you think Traxxas could sell millions of dollars worth of T-Maxx, and that goes the same with the HPI as well. Reliabilty is sketchy since reliability can really take a nose dive if you are a beginner or a seasoned rc driver and of course maintenance is key. I think if you get the chance to try out each one from friends, do it. Only hands on driving can really tell you what your decision will be. I was fortunate to do this, and it was the T-Maxx for me because it suited my type of driving, I liked the TMX because of it's sporty handling, I come from an onroad background.

Well said.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

I bought BOTH jsut this month ,,,,,and well the Savage "SS" is very disapointing for all the hype,,,,,,Yes I have spent the extra 350 or so on the "T_Maxx" hopups BUT still like the stock T-maxx verus Stock savage ,,,,,heavyier DONT LIKE the motor ,,,,and now reverse sucks ,,,,,,,I dont race I like to climb Jump and just flat out run in the dirt (Mountians) and I have had the savage torn down three times now the fix stuff and this is the first time on the T-maxx so any one wanting a USED Savage SS let me know NEED $ for the "TRUCK OF THE YEAR" thanks guys
Old 09-22-2003, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

How much do you want for it?
Old 09-22-2003, 06:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Oh yea I forgot, The Truck of the year thing..... That was compared against the Savage 21. The SS is 8 to 10 mph faster and has a huge bottom end compared to the 21. We will have to wait till spring to get another comparision, but I think HPI has closed in on the Tmaxx espesially when its an 11 pound truck.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just curious what you've broken on your SS???

I've beat the living crap out of my Savage 21 without breaking anything...unless you count a serioustly deformed roll bar...but I bent it back to nearly original shape...

my LHS has a HUGE wall of T-Maxx parts....
and they order more of the save every week....

The Savage parts they brought in are collecting dust...

The Savage is one tough truck...mind you we pay a hefty price for that toughness...it's heavy...

The only problems that I've heard of on the SS is the backplate coming from the factory without locktite and loosening after break-in...

and HPI has adressed the issue and has posted instructions on how you can fix it yourself or return the parts to them for repair/replacement....

They're customer service has been pretty good in that regard..
The Savage's plush suspension doesn't seem to hurt it as much as you'd think on a race course...the geometry for the shocks is fixed..but the position seems to work...

The Savage can certainly hang with the Maxxes...the T-Maxx having the edge on tight turns, the Savage having the edge on the rough stuff...makes for some fun racing
Old 10-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Savage ss. Thats what im getting. You don't have to upgrade it to put .21 or larger size engines in it because thats what it comes with. You get to build it. And you dont pay for a crappy radio system that you would sell anyway. Or atleast I would and a bunch of people I know.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Regional Moderator

Hi Guys,

For you who do not know whicho ne to pick from Tmaxx monster truck and HPI Savage try to read Radio Control Monster Truck Magazine Summer 2003. They had tested from Duratrax, HPI, Kyosho, OFNA, Tamiya, Thunder Tiger, Traxxas and XTM racing monster truck and the results was Traxxas Tmaxx TRX 2.5 is still the BEST.

Again Radio Control Car Action September 2003 looked at "Truck Of The Year 2003".....THE WINNER is TRAXXAS TMAXX.....

From this 2 magazines we can tell which monster truck are the best....and for my self personally, I've been playing monster truck nitro since 1995 and I can tell you guys that I never found anything better than this Traxxas Tmaxx TRX 2.5 monster truck, believe me it would not dissapointed you.

Anyway read the magazines and see yourself okay....

Cheerss...........
Old 10-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by niffken
All I know is that my maxx breaks all the time. Everytime I use it.
I can tell if you're the new boy for rc nitro or a rookieeeee hhahahhahah

no offense

cheerssss
Old 10-13-2003, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

The magazines are what they liked the best. Well I and most other people arn't the magines. And I'm sure that everyone that has bought some other monster truck over the t-maxx has their reasons. Here are some of the main reasons why I'm buying the savage ss and not a t-maxx:

1. Last time I was at a off road track with lots of monster trucks (it was a little while ago) 8 out of 10 monster trucks were t-maxx's.
2. You don't have to spend a lot of money to make it possible to bolt in a big block engine. Although I do know the traxxas 2.5 is a very good engine.
3. I would just be wasting my money on a crappy radio system that I would sell anyway.
4. I get to build the kit.
5. I get to paint the body.
6. The tvp chassis looks sick.
7. You can use all t-maxx bodies, wheels, and tires anyway.
8. The suspension conponents are very beefy looking.
9. You don't have to wait for a 6 cell pack to charge if your e-z starter dies. And if you get a engine tuned good enough starting it with a pull starter is very easy anyway.

Just my .02
Old 10-14-2003, 03:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by racerdx6
The magazines are what they liked the best. Well I and most other people arn't the magines. And I'm sure that everyone that has bought some other monster truck over the t-maxx has their reasons. Here are some of the main reasons why I'm buying the savage ss and not a t-maxx:

1. Last time I was at a off road track with lots of monster trucks (it was a little while ago) 8 out of 10 monster trucks were t-maxx's.
2. You don't have to spend a lot of money to make it possible to bolt in a big block engine. Although I do know the traxxas 2.5 is a very good engine.
3. I would just be wasting my money on a crappy radio system that I would sell anyway.
4. I get to build the kit.
5. I get to paint the body.
6. The tvp chassis looks sick.
7. You can use all t-maxx bodies, wheels, and tires anyway.
8. The suspension conponents are very beefy looking.
9. You don't have to wait for a 6 cell pack to charge if your e-z starter dies. And if you get a engine tuned good enough starting it with a pull starter is very easy anyway.

Just my .02
The magazines will tell you the true about all the monster truck that they have tested and I'm sure you yourself even do not know all about one monster truck right. Only the team from the magazines could test any brand of monster truck and they can tell you which one is the best and which one is the worst. And I'm pretty sure you cannot afford to test any brand of moster truck by yourself right. Why they make a magazines for? Of course for peoples to read, to get an idea, informations and to compare which stuffs that they gonna buy, which one is good, which one is fast or which one is reliable, etc......

Here I'll give you my reasons why Savage is suckkssss....:

- with .21 engine cannot win from a small block engine....
- if you said a while ago then it must be a trx 15 engine from tmaxx right, even at that time Savage .21 cannot win over a trx .15 engine in so many competitions. (for your information trx .15 is equal with .12 engine)
- look at the design..terrible man .....
- pull start? hahahhaha you gonna break the cord easily...when you pull for a while you gonna get heart attack after that...
- you do not need to sell the radio unless you need money to tune your savage and you are wasting your time because no way savage can pass Tmaxx..you're wasting your money mannn..
- how many company that made optional parts for Savage??? you can still counting it with your finger, and how many company has made optional parts for Tmaxx???? so so so manyyyy..it means that that monster truck is pretty good stuffs that made a lot of company dare to invests for tmaxx parts.....

Last for the fact...TMAXX is still the BEST..pls refer to the magazines and read why they pick TMAXX for TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2003 ....if you're not satisfied...write a letter to the RC Car Action magazines and tell them that they pick a wrong monster truck okay

JUST an ideas................
cheersssss
Old 10-14-2003, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

I can appreciate that you love your Maxx.....but...

-the Monster truck mag you're talkign about IS RCCA, just recycled info in a special edition
-if you read the entire article, they are very inconsistent with their rating system, giving the same points for vehicles with differing performance
-The Design of the Savage doesn't suck...far from it...it's strong, jumps well, is stable on rough terrain and isn't as hard to work on as you might think
-They didn't rate things like durability...The spare parts counter at my LHS is what keeps the place going...if they had to rely on those of us with Savages to sustain them by buying spare parts they'd go out of business...yes..there are more Maxxes....but no...the Savages don't break
-A properly tuned Savage 21 CAN hang with the T-Maxxes on a race course..I know..I do it on a regular basis
-the T-Maxx WILL blow the Savage 21 out of the water in a drag race
-and your point about 3rd party support for hop-ups...Savage hop-ups are probably the fastest growing segment on the rc parts landscape...

I can't honestly say that I think that the T-Maxx sucks...or even that the Savage is the ultimate truck. The SS has some improvements, but I have yet to see a Monster Truck that is perfect

I guess the main point is...The T-Maxx has been king of the hill for a long time and has a very loyal following, due in no small part to the fact that it was the ONLY game in town.

HPI, with the Savage has upped the ante...and with competitors like Losi and Associated looking at the Monster Truck market, we should see innovations and performance improvements at a rate never thought possible.

Competition is GOOD as long as you lookt at it with an open mind. The 'I have a Maxx so everythign else must suck' mentality is silly and just plain inaccurate.

And for the record...a LOT of people with a lot of time of time in RC have broken Maxxes...it's not just a newbie thing...

I'm just wondering if you feel so insecure in teh superiority of your truck that you feel the need to belittle anyone that has anythign bad to say about it...even if they speak the truth?

It's ok to admit your Maxx has weaknesses....so does my Savage...so do all of the MT's I've seen so far..and it looks like the new crop still won't be perfect for all applications...

You just gotta accept that....and stop trying to be so insulting...makes you look like an uneducated twit
Old 10-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
I can appreciate that you love your Maxx.....but...

-the Monster truck mag you're talkign about IS RCCA, just recycled info in a special edition
-if you read the entire article, they are very inconsistent with their rating system, giving the same points for vehicles with differing performance
-The Design of the Savage doesn't suck...far from it...it's strong, jumps well, is stable on rough terrain and isn't as hard to work on as you might think
-They didn't rate things like durability...The spare parts counter at my LHS is what keeps the place going...if they had to rely on those of us with Savages to sustain them by buying spare parts they'd go out of business...yes..there are more Maxxes....but no...the Savages don't break
-A properly tuned Savage 21 CAN hang with the T-Maxxes on a race course..I know..I do it on a regular basis
-the T-Maxx WILL blow the Savage 21 out of the water in a drag race
-and your point about 3rd party support for hop-ups...Savage hop-ups are probably the fastest growing segment on the rc parts landscape...

I can't honestly say that I think that the T-Maxx sucks...or even that the Savage is the ultimate truck. The SS has some improvements, but I have yet to see a Monster Truck that is perfect

I guess the main point is...The T-Maxx has been king of the hill for a long time and has a very loyal following, due in no small part to the fact that it was the ONLY game in town.

HPI, with the Savage has upped the ante...and with competitors like Losi and Associated looking at the Monster Truck market, we should see innovations and performance improvements at a rate never thought possible.

Competition is GOOD as long as you lookt at it with an open mind. The 'I have a Maxx so everythign else must suck' mentality is silly and just plain inaccurate.

And for the record...a LOT of people with a lot of time of time in RC have broken Maxxes...it's not just a newbie thing...

I'm just wondering if you feel so insecure in teh superiority of your truck that you feel the need to belittle anyone that has anythign bad to say about it...even if they speak the truth?

It's ok to admit your Maxx has weaknesses....so does my Savage...so do all of the MT's I've seen so far..and it looks like the new crop still won't be perfect for all applications...

You just gotta accept that....and stop trying to be so insulting...makes you look like an uneducated twit
hahahhaa..nobody say that TMAXX is PERFECT..nobody man..so please next time read carefully what peoples wrote okay...or maybe you have so trouble reading

I never said that TMAXX is perfect all over but the truth is Tmaxx got the best truck right ???? Accept that man....

Everything has the weakness for sure..even Tmaxx has the weakness, but the good one are more than the weakness one that's made they choosed Tmaxx..........For sure all parts from RC's can break up...but not every single time when you play the parts will break right? It means that the person is a beginner for RC. Like me I used to break parts when I played it for the first time..that was true....so it does not mean that the parts are suckksss right?

I'm saying all these just to let you know that accept the truth that at this moment Tmaxx is the King but we never now for next year or maybe next 3 months some brand came up and better than Tmaxx right? So just be cool.....and I never insulting people just brought up my ideas about it....

Why don't you send a letter or email to RC car action and say that they are inconsisten with their rating? Why not you're free to throw a complaint right? common if you cannot accept that Tmaxx is Truck of the year 2003 at this moment..do something man....okay....

If you feel that you're the educated person, do something with that article then...and ask RC magazines to say sorry that they made a mistakes by choosing Tmaxx truck of the year 2003 on their October or November issue....could you do that pleaseeee educated man I beg you...
Honestly I really doubt...that you can do that even you're a king of educated man or anything you feel...

Last let's accept it that Tmaxx is the truck of the year 2003 and hopefully next time would be other brands that even better than Tmaxx or maybe HPI SS will be truck of the year 2004 right? who knows......
Old 10-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Nothing has come out of the woodwork to dethrone the T-Maxx from the box...

as for it being declared truck of the year by car action..I really can't see what difference that really makes?

The T-Maxx has probably one of the largest user bases of ANY RC car or truck...it came into the market and there was nothing else like it at the time...

It's spawned an entire class of competition and it should be recognized for that...

I'm not trying to get into a fight with you...because really...it doesn't matter to me...

You seem to be getting really defensive..so I'll just let this topic go for now...

for the originator of this thread.....the simple response to your question is...get whichever one you like...both trucks are different...the Maxx is quicker, more nimble on tight tracks and is pre-built...the Savage SS will jump better, be more durable and allow you to build it on your own...

with the changes to the suspension and motor the SS may be able to hang with the Maxxes out of the box, but the larger size and heavier weight of the savage are still going to give the Maxxes the edge on a tight track.

If you want to win a drag race...the T-maxx is your truck..although again...no accurate testing has been done on release level SS kits (no the review in Xtreme does NOT count...they had non-standard gearing in the kit..why? I don't know)

If you want to go out and do crazy jumps and bash, the Maxx can't touch the plush suspension of the Savage...

or better yet...if you want to SCREAM around a track..and get something that FLIES like an eagle....just get an 1/8 scale buggy
Old 10-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Articles in RCCA and other magazines only matter to the novices, I'd advise people other than the novice to totally disregard these so called "King", or "number one editors pick" and thats what this adds up to, an editor choosing the so called "Best of the bunch." I actually hate these Truck A vs Truck B threads. They just end up making people mad in the end. Look both the Tmaxx and Savage are very good at what they do best. The Tmaxx is "King" of the 1/10th truck class hands down, the Savage is the "king" of 1/8th truck class. Yes there are other trucks, but from a total performance stand point no other trucks even come close. I personally have had a Maxx with the trx-pro engine , and the newer 2.5. I could never get it to run without constantly messing with the needle setting, I guess its just the high humidity (65%-90%) and the heat 80-110 depending on where you are standing, that made it so difficult. I'm about to get the Savage 25 RTR, and I'll be able to give an honest opinion on that truck. As for the person who started the thread, look at parts support first, local tracks,and or area where you plan to run. Then and only then can you made an "educated" decision. God knows I've bough one to many R/C's without knowing its capabilities and facts first.

Last edited by hobbipro; 10-14-2003 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

What do you guys think would be a good replacement plug for the nitro-star 25 engine? Also, is there a difference between the plugs in .21 and larger size engines and small block engines? Thanks.

Here is one of the plugs I was looking at:

Fox Pro series #8 long plug-
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG900&P=7

Does anyone know if this is a good plug? I'm assuming it is because I've been told Fox makes good glow plugs. Would it fit in the nitro star 25? It says it will fit in .21 and larger size engines, but I'm wondering if anyone has just tried it. If this isn't a very good plug, what plug do you guys suggest? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.