Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
nitro rock crawling >

nitro rock crawling

nitro rock crawling

Old 03-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default nitro rock crawling

hey all: I love electric rock crawling,but was just woundering is there any nitro rock crawling classes? I ask this because it alway seems that what ever class is popular in electric always seems to have a nitro class version of it at some point and i think the sound of the nitro engines would help to add to that scale look and sound. Just some thoughts thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default flame out

idling would be hard and might need and fan to help out on the cooling.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
hey all: I love electric rock crawling,but was just woundering is there any nitro rock crawling classes? I ask this because it alway seems that what ever class is popular in electric always seems to have a nitro class version of it at some point and i think the sound of the nitro engines would help to add to that scale look and sound. Just some thoughts thanks
Been crawling for over 3 years and have seen several attempts at nitro crawlers w/ no success.

Just to many obstacles to overcome as high RPM nitro engines and low speed crawling are not a good fit. Add cooling issues, clutch engagement, center of gravity, reverse, fuel starvation at extreme angles, ect..... and you see the issues that you'll face.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey there: Thanks mike G. and crawler for the info it was helpfull.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have been wondering the same thing and have thought that 4 strokes might be the ticket.

Colin
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's not so much an engine problem as it is a clutch problem. You can't creep with a centrifugal clutch without burning it up and you can't crawl if you can't creep. That's not to mention the problem of not being able to hold on an incline since you can't go from throttle to brake without the driveline being completely disengaged from the engine in order to apply any brake. If you want to crawl just accept that nitro is not going to get the job done, or invent some kind of clutch that does not depend on engine RPM to engage. Of course once you get over that hump there's the issue of a nitro toy car engine stalling if you engage the clutch at low RPM. While I've always been a firm believer in "never say never" when it comes to toy cars, there's just too many major engineering hurdles to producing a nitro crawler for us average spuds to overcome. If crawling blows up enough I'm sure some of those clever guys in Japan will figure a way to make a nitro crawler, but barring some major design work at the factory level I doubt we will ever see any such animal.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Oh yes when are they gonna come out with a water cooled nitro engine
Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

LOL oh god please, nooooooo. Lol people have enough issue with keeping nitro trucks running in top shape. lol that last thing we need to add to them is a liquid cooling system lol. But im sure some kinda mechanical clutch could be feasible. Allot of you rock crawler guys use a third servo for a rear dig. I know someone out there has the know how and the equipment to build a pressure plate style clutch. But getting over the stalling and of course being able to crawl are all huge hurdles. It could be done, but at this point and time with were nitro RC where it is right now, it would be hard to do. And the only way you would get nearly enough bottom end torque to get it done it would have to be a four stroke.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know, marine nitros run water cooling on the head and electrics have water cooling for the ESC. When I first started with rc cars, some guy had some pics of a maxx he built with a marine engine and closed cooling system. I think an electric fan would do it, but even with a 4 stroke, it's still got to rev to make any torque. I think an electric clutch and a multi cylinder engine would be the least it would take. Either way, I'm sticking to electric. I've got a NIB super clod kit I'm thinking about using with a pimp cane. Simple and effective.