Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Breaking in a LST2 >

Breaking in a LST2

Breaking in a LST2

Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default Breaking in a LST2

What you know good folks.

I am helping a friend breaking a LST2 and we have having trouble keeping it running. All the adjustments are set to the factory specs but when it idles, the engines dies after 60-90 seconds. Should I leave the glow igniter attached? This is my first time running in one of these beasts. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

THE FUEL MIXTURE IS RICH SO TRIES TO DIE NATURALLY GIVE IT SMALL BLIPS OF THROTTLE TO KEEP FUEL RUNNING THROUGH IT. THAT WAY IT WONT LOAD UP AND STALL RUN IT UP AND DOWN THE STREET LIKE THIS FOR TWO TO THREE TANKS THEN START BACKING OFF THE HSN IN HOUR INCREMENTS
Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LOWGEARED
THE FUEL MIXTURE IS RICH SO TRIES TO DIE NATURALLY GIVE IT SMALL BLIPS OF THROTTLE TO KEEP FUEL RUNNING THROUGH IT. THAT WAY IT WONT LOAD UP AND STALL RUN IT UP AND DOWN THE STREET LIKE THIS FOR TWO TO THREE TANKS THEN START BACKING OFF THE HSN IN HOUR INCREMENTS
When I blip the throttle it dies. I am going to keep the glow igniter attached and may be lean it 2 hours. That way I can hopefully get two tanks through it.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my hsn was a little to rich now that i think about it ... that should work though
Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I checked my HSN and it was at 5 1/2 turns. Choked it down to 3.5 and she is idling through the first tank now
Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Cool

Good work va keep us posted please on how it runs for you, i'm looking at maybe getting one in a couple of weeks
Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

keep an eye on the temps, if you are doing the first tank on a stand, your not supposed to adjust the needles but rather bump your idle up by using the trim on your radio until the wheels are just turning with it off the ground.

if you want to do it right:

"From the very 1st time you start your engine, plop the car on the ground & begin running it in a parking lot in 2-3 minute intervals, tuned only *slightly rich* getting the temps up in the 200F range on a normal day. Every 2-3 minutes, shut the engine down & let it cool completely with the piston at BDC, and then fire it back up; continue this cycle until you've run 15 min or so, and then bump up to 3-4 minute intervals. Vary the RPM and don't be afraid to get the temps in the 200's. What you want is heat cycling of the components without the incredible stress that comes with breaking an engine in when it's overly rich & cold. After cycling the engine in this mannerfor about 20-25 total minutes, it'll be ready for the track and race tuning. I realize this method goes against the old-school "idle on the box" routine, but you'll be amazed once you've completed this break-in routine, your OS will still have amazing pinch w/out sticking at the top AND your OS's compression will last far longer than it will with the "old school" method. "

courtesy of stephen bess
Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you dont need to keep the glow ingnitor on just so you know..
Old 03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default Fame out

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
you dont need to keep the glow ingnitor on just so you know..
I know. Unfortunately it was so rich from the start, over 5 turns from closed on the HSN, that the glow plug was flooding out.

AS for an update, I ran two full tanks through at idle. Never got above 205, maintained 190-200. Third tank started to do small circles in parking lot to tune. Truck died. Not sure what happened. I never got it above half throttle.

Whats killing me is I have done a break-in on a RB .12 for my MTX4R and it was no big deal. This big-block is killing.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

for the dieing thing, lean out the low speed about 1/4 of a turn and it should get close to top speed, tell me how it reacts
Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

turn the idle up
Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default break in

New engines come excessively rich.