R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   Locking the diffs of TXT1 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/20756-locking-diffs-txt1.html)

4wdmt 07-03-2003 12:11 AM

Locking the diffs of TXT1

guys, i just bought silly putty to temporarily lock the diffs of my TXT1, to make it more of a rock crawler. I just need some insight, what are the pros and cons of locking the diffs? will locking the front diffs really affect the steering/handling of the truck? need some answers badly before i totally disassemble the front and rear axles again. Thanks.

SixVi6-Camaro 07-03-2003 11:29 AM

Yes locking any of the diffs will change the steering and handling a lot. After you lock the diffs it won't turn very well and be just about impossible to turn at high speeds. if you like to drive around at decent speeds and like to handle turns wiht any kind of speed don't lock them. If you are just into crawling and slow speed stuff lock em up.

4wdmt 07-04-2003 07:41 AM

thanks for the input SixVi6-Camaro. I am now having second thoughts of wrenching on my truck. I guess not much monster truckers around here dont lock their diffs :) .

newracer 07-07-2003 12:08 PM

I locked my rear with JB weld and put OFNA diff lock in the front which gives some resistance but not fully locked. I also run 4WS to make up for the locked diffs.

rs4ricer 07-07-2003 06:53 PM

well i suggest gettin another set of diffs dedicated to rock crawlin for your txt. that way u can switch between what ever you feel like. yes thats what i do with my clod.

DuffMan 07-08-2003 03:33 PM

I have 2 spools in my E-Maxx and i tell you what, it does not turn on power, you have to brake and get it to slide out.
I love the 2 spools though, it can take on anything, just make shure your driveline is bullet proof becouse it creates alot of stress on the internals and outdrives.
A happy medium is to only lock the rear, the only thing i dident like with this is that the front wheels dont climb they just spin while the rears create huge craters in the ground :D
Not thats a bad thing though, happy experimenting

4wdmt 07-09-2003 09:19 AM

thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys, ill try to temp. lock the diffs to check the performance for myself.

CharlesWA 07-10-2003 11:30 AM

Originally posted by newracer
I locked my rear with JB weld and put OFNA diff lock in the front which gives some resistance but not fully locked. I also run 4WS to make up for the locked diffs.
Do you have any problems with the OFNA stuff leaking out of the front diff? Did you do anything special to get it to seal up better?

newracer 07-10-2003 02:05 PM

it leaks a little but the stuff is so thick not much comes out. it's not a silicone fluid, more like molasses, very thick and sticky