Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Old School Electric, New 2 Nitro (Tmaxx Nightmare!) >

Old School Electric, New 2 Nitro (Tmaxx Nightmare!)

Old School Electric, New 2 Nitro (Tmaxx Nightmare!)

Old 01-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Angry Old School Electric, New 2 Nitro (Tmaxx Nightmare!)

I recently bought a T-maxx from a friend that did all the aluminum upgrades for the chassis and upper and lower control Arms. The Motor was trashed so I purchased a new 3.3 motor and intalled in, All goes well other than having to double stack the glowplug washers to get it to crack and it dies at approx. 60% throttle. Any tips? I also purchased the forward only conversion for the tranny, is it worth it?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The forward only kit is worth it because it is less rotating weight. Why do you need to double up the glow plug washers?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

for some reason in the "FIRST" start it would try to start then it was like the piston was getting stuck at the top of the cylinder, I was able to pull the glowplug, dump the fuel out and it would try to start again the lockup, this went on for about an hour then I had the idea of putting two washers in there and it started right up. Now it still has the two washers and it died when the throttle gets to about 60%, in baffled. makes me wanna find an old school JrX2 say screw nitro LOL.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

I would love to get back into racing, but the only local track I know of in Houston is about an hour away and the Tmaxx isnt a racer to me....
Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Maybe you need more head shims? Did you break in the engine correctly? What are the engine temps? I am more of an electric guy than a nitro guy too. You're right the tmaxx isn't that good of a racer.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

did you heat up the head before you started it, if not that would cause the locking up
Old 01-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Heat up the head? nowhere at the store or in the break instructions did it mention to head up the heat. The motor is a TRX3.3 "RTR" I've learned that nothing with Nitro is Ready to Run LOL. What would cause it to Die at 60% throttle? The motor has about 6-8 tanks ran through it at the time.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

to rich in the high end
Old 01-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

so adujust the high speed needle to close it some?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

yes, turn it clockwise to lean
Old 01-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

about 1/4 of a turn
Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

people the reason why it sticks at the top is to let you know that it is broke in right. when the piston hits the top it will get tight.... farely tight. the glow plug issue is because you are using a glow plug the has too long of a shank on it, more or less the glow plug its too long, so the space between the piston and the glow plug is too small so it doesnt get an adiquite amount of compression. that would also probably be the reason why it dies at 60% throttle. try a shorter glow plug believe me they sell them. the plug you got is probably for a .21 or bigger. get a shorter plug (meduim) that would do you there. if it still tends to die at 60% throttle then you need to start messing with the high speed needle. there is nothing wrong with your motor and you DO NOT have to heat up the head before you break it in. by doing that you could over heat it and worp the head then it wont get a good enough seal around the bottom end. just try a smaller glow plug and mess with the needles on the carb. i had the throttle happen with mine and believe me i have more power coming out of my 2.5 then that 3.3. its more and likely a carb situation. if you have any other question feel free to pm me. ill help you out as much as i can.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer
Maybe you need more head shims? Did you break in the engine correctly? What are the engine temps? I am more of an electric guy than a nitro guy too. You're right the tmaxx isn't that good of a racer.

the t-maxx can be just as good of a racer as any other car out there, its just getting the set up right. thats my situation right now, im transfering my t-maxx from a basher to a racer. and i have gotten alot of help in that department.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dieseldog20
people the reason why it sticks at the top is to let you know that it is broke in right. when the piston hits the top it will get tight.... farely tight. the glow plug issue is because you are using a glow plug the has too long of a shank on it, more or less the glow plug its too long, so the space between the piston and the glow plug is too small so it doesnt get an adiquite amount of compression. that would also probably be the reason why it dies at 60% throttle. try a shorter glow plug believe me they sell them. the plug you got is probably for a .21 or bigger. get a shorter plug (meduim) that would do you there. if it still tends to die at 60% throttle then you need to start messing with the high speed needle. there is nothing wrong with your motor and you DO NOT have to heat up the head before you break it in. by doing that you could over heat it and worp the head then it wont get a good enough seal around the bottom end. just try a smaller glow plug and mess with the needles on the carb. i had the throttle happen with mine and believe me i have more power coming out of my 2.5 then that 3.3. its more and likely a carb situation. if you have any other question feel free to pm me. ill help you out as much as i can.

i need you to understand that heating it up does NOT hurt the engine, the engine runs at 200-240 degrees it wont hurt the engine to heat the head up a little bit.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

like i said "by doing that you COULD" i didnt say it would just could. beleive i have seen these things go from good, to bad, to worse, just because people have done something that doesnt go byt the instructions. heating it up doesnt help the performance any just makes it easier to start.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.