T-Maxx 3.3????

Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default T-Maxx 3.3????

What do I need to do to set my T-Maxx 3.3 to race it. And win!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

lots of money and practice,practice,practice, did i mention practice?LOL
Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Money!!!

So should I just bash this truck and save my money to buy what truck to race??
Old 01-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

not nessisarily, it will be fine in club events to race, however there will be some guys there that have the best of the best too. i have just bought a LST, them and the LST2's have proven to be competative with minor mods.
im not saying your T-MAx cant be competative, just that they arent a popular choice is all. a good start to getting your truck up to scratch is to get yourself some metal geared servos, good ones. Race motor, tuned pipe, get urself some different springs, just for variances in performance..etc, ill think of more in a min, post is gettin a bit long
Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

some narrower tyres is also a good way to improve acceleration and reduce weight. thats a good start
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Question??

Can you give me some ideas of what brands to go with and engine sizes???? Please..
Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

im not really the best person to ask, but the LRP Engines are total beasts. try going into the engine thread and asking the guys in there what they think. as for parts try NITRO HOUSE. they have everything, i have little knowledge of parts.. i only know a LITTLE
Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

you could try the O.S. .21 TM. direct bolt in for the trx 2.5 or 3.3. or you could try the picco .26 MAX but you will have to buy the motor mount for it.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

For racing go with a smaller engine that is easier to control like an os .18tm. You should get some offset rims and some bowties or crimefighters. Practice is the best hopup though!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you want to race MT and win, get a revo, upgrade the electronics ( don't forget the single steering servo mod), install a FOC, center diff, do the front and rear brake mod, put on a set of tires/wheels and setup that works well at your local track, then get as much on track practice as you can as often as you can. While you are learning to drive on a race track also work on your engine and chassis tuning skills. When you wear out the stock motor replace it with an OS 18 TZ, a good pipe, and a bumpbox. Other than that, your truck will let you know what other mods to make by breaking and wearing out parts. Stuff that breaks too often or wears out too quickly will need to be upgraded, the rest of it is fine as is. You can put a wing on it, but it's only real function is to save your body, but everyone has one so you might as well get one too. After you've done this for about a year you can start thinking about more serious mods, but until you have some track time under your belt and some decent driving and tuning skills anything else is pretty much a waste of time and money. Simply stated, you can't buy victory, you can spend a ton to get the latest and greatest gizmos and gadgets, but they are worthless if you can't get around the track quickly.

As for the maxx, it used to be the king of the track but then the revo came along and that's all history. You can spend a ton on your maxx and make it a very good racer, but it will never be as good as a revo. If you were racing in NASCAR would you field a car with 70's technology? There's a reason the revo is so popular in racing, it's the best MT racer available. If you already have extraordinary driving skills you might be able to get by with something else, but if you are like most of us, the revo is the only way to go if you want to race MT with any chance of winning.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

you can race a t-maxx trust me i am in the prosses of doing just that. the first thing need to do is lose the reverse gear. that is almost the heaviest part on the truck. next you need to get some truggy wheels and tires with 17mm hubs. the motor is perfect just tune it to were you get the best performance out of it. after that it was suggested to me to get a Dace chassic for the t-maxx. they sell them on unlimitedengineering.com then get the ofna fuel tank. there are a couple other things to get for it but really the biggest thing would be getting the wheels and tires and also the shocks. you might have to put alittle bit heavier weight oil in the rear, maybe somethign around 40 weight, just to keep it from front flipping. if you have any questions about that stuff feel free to pm me, i will be more than happy to help out.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

the revo is not the best thing in the world.. i have done alot of research about the revo and the revo has its down falls bad. the arms were the shock attach to the car wear out and break fast from the jumping and bashing it takes. i have had my t-maxx for a couple years and i have bashed it crashed it i put my truch through more crap and torcher than a racer does in 15 mins on a track. and i havent broken hardly anything. the most i have spent on a broken part was a lower control arm and a motor mount. everyting on my truck is stock but the motor. your t-maxx will be very suitable for a first time racer and even make it a better racer as experiance increases.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You're right, the first thing that I did on mine was 17mm then some 1" offset rims to make it 2 inches wider to stop it from rolling over so much in the turns because of high cg. Another cool thing that I found on ebay a while ago but forgot to mention it is hex extenders. They sell them in 1/2" and 1" and they are around $30. Get some shocks off of an ofna buggy, they are aluminum, strong, threaded and cheap in price. But remember that the first thing you should do on your setup is get some good tires for your track. Get a good metal geared steering servo. The forward only kit is a must too. From what I experienced when I used to race my tmaxx, 40wt shock oil was my favorite and heavier springs if you want to keep the stock shocks. Get the ofna fuel tank for longer runtimes so you can run longer races too. But remember practice is the best hopup that you can get and it is free too. Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chado757
What do I need to do to set my T-Maxx 3.3 to race it. And win!!!!
You cant just get one and go win.All i gotta say is,Stay with it,Pratice,Pratice,Pratice.....
Thene you Might WIN!.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dieseldog20
you can race a t-maxx trust me i am in the prosses of doing just that. the first thing need to do is lose the reverse gear. that is almost the heaviest part on the truck. next you need to get some truggy wheels and tires with 17mm hubs. the motor is perfect just tune it to were you get the best performance out of it. after that it was suggested to me to get a Dace chassic for the t-maxx. they sell them on unlimitedengineering.com then get the ofna fuel tank. there are a couple other things to get for it but really the biggest thing would be getting the wheels and tires and also the shocks. you might have to put alittle bit heavier weight oil in the rear, maybe somethign around 40 weight, just to keep it from front flipping. if you have any questions about that stuff feel free to pm me, i will be more than happy to help out.
Well, I have raced t-maxx trucks. Raced them for years before the revo came out and reverse is not the heaviest thing you can dump. Getting rid of it will allow your driveline to spool up quicker, but the onboard starter is by far the most excess weight you are carrying on your max, and yes you can get rid of it. It takes a Pro Hobby chassis and starter box, or a native Racing chassis and one of their remote starter units, but if you plan to race with any hope of winning in MT these days, no matter what you do to it the maxx is not going to get it for you unless everyone running revos can't drive.

First off, look at the down travel difference between the revo and maxx, the revo has almost twice as much. next, look at the steering throw on the revo and maxx, again the revo has almost twice as much. What this means on the track is superior rough track handling and much faster turning, both in favor of the revo. When you add in the longer wheelbase on the updated (3.3) revo, it's just a better racer than the maxx.

Take it from someone who's actually been there, done that, the revo is quite simply a better race truck. I don't care for the revo and have never owned one, I'm just telling you what i know from my years of racing maxx trucks and what I saw when the revo first came out and raced against maxx trucks. At that time the maxx was as evolved as it could get (see pics below) and your basic revo could still out do it on every account. Now that the revo is longer and more refined from it's years of racing, trying to seriously run a maxx against the current revo is useless unless you don't care about winning. It's not because they are popular that every truck in the latest national championship RC Pro Series A main was a revo. They were all revos because the revo is the best MT racer available today. The hard truth about racing is what you see on the track is what's fastest. Emotions have nothing to do with it, it's strictly about what gets around quicker. The revo has been the national champion MT racer every year since it's release for one reason, it's the best MT racer going.

Here's a few old pics of my last Pro Hobby maxx racer. It's a bump box truck with a longer wheelbase, excellent balance, and only weighs 7.5 pounds ready to drop on the track. In the hands of a top pro this truck might have a chance at the local level, but forget it when it comes to regional or national level MT racing. Running a maxx againt revos would be like trying to run an old Kyosho MP6 against todays buggies, it will be a waste of time, money, and effort if you are serious about winning.
Attached Thumbnails T-Maxx 3.3????-picture-013a.jpg   T-Maxx 3.3????-picture-019a.jpg   T-Maxx 3.3????-picture-021c.jpg   T-Maxx 3.3????-pistol-truck3.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.