Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Tokyo Marui Big Bear >

Tokyo Marui Big Bear

Tokyo Marui Big Bear

Old 06-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

Tokyo Marui Big Bear

I'm just wondering if anyone here knew about this car. It was around in the late 80's. It was my first RC car, as well as my father's. It didn't have oil shocks or friction dampers, just springs. It includes a Datsun truck body. It was one of the better MT's around at its time. I have some old RCCA mags from '88, learned that it won Best Overall in the Monster Truck Shootout. If you remember the days of the Clodbuster, Ultima, RC10, and maybe the Midnight Pumpkin, you probably remember this as an economically priced beginner's car. It's still availible on eBay. Anybody know where I can find vintage servos from that time? The plugs that we have nowadays don't work in the Big Bear's reciever.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Tech Initiate

If your talking about those really tiny pins. I think they are called G connectors. They aren't made anymore. I've been replacing the old connectors with J connectors to make them usable for current receivers.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Are these "G-plugs" white?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

In this car there's an old Kyosho Le Mans 600 motor. If you were in RC way back when, you'd remember the Le Mans stuff. Anyway, I can't fit my buggy's motor into it. It's a modern motor, A Trinity Speed Gems Pro Titanite 15 dbl. I think I could sand the little compartment the motor goes into a little so that it could fit. What do you guys think? Also, I'm still wondering where I can get vintage electronics, maybe ebay.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Tech Initiate

I have old Futaba servos, so the plug was black. But what really stands out on old Futaba connectors is that they have very tiny pins as the connectors. And yes I still remember the Kyosho Le Mans motors. I believe one is still in my Hot Shot. I don't see why your motor won't fit, but I don't remember your vehicle. I have a current motor in my RC10B and that car was from 1976. The old Tamiya vehicles use to have a adapter ring. You probably can look around for old equipment, but like myself I have some old stuff, still works, but new equipment is better and if you want to run it, you might be better off just changing everything over. You can change the connectors to new J type by just solder in new ones. I had an old Tekin electronic speed control and it could take today's motors and batteries.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Were the pins in the reciever or the plug?
The plugs I have are rectangular. The servos are Hitec.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Tech Initiate

The pins where on the plug. And it looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails Tokyo Marui Big Bear-gplug.jpg  
Old 06-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry to go offtopic, but doesnt Tokyo Marui make Airsoft guns too? I play Airsoft, and they make some kickass guns.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

I did an internet search, and, yes, they do.
Isn't an airsoft gun also known as a BB or pellet gun? If it is, I have a Limited Edition Daisy.

Last edited by mr. chicken; 06-07-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Airsoft guns shot little plastic pellets, but looked exactly like real guns.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Rookie

hey i have one of those big bear trucks and i was wondering if by chance you know where i could find replacement parts for this thing?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A friend of mine had a big bear waaaay back in the day. Used to race my Midnight Pumpkin against it all the time. You can imagine the intense racing!

Not too sure where you'd go to find parts for it though... Maybe check with the manufacturer if there's a retailer still selling parts for them?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Ive found parts on ebay for the big bear.
I have a roller and I occasionaly look for parts.
Havent started my build up yet.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I was able to buy cables that just plugged in for my Big Bear, using the old Futaba receiver. Believe it was all through Tower Hobbies.

So I now have a new electronic speed controller connected to the old receiver and then a new motor connected to that. I also replaced the old power switch, although I have not found a great way to mount it yet. It's all plugs this time around. No soldering. Bullet style plugs for the motor for quick removal.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Hey, I've got some servos with that same type of L prong plug on them!! They're Futaba FP-S48 (I think it's either an 8 or a B). Just give me a PM if that's what you're looking for!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.