Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Recommendations on a Warhead Evo or a 2.5 T-Maxx >

Recommendations on a Warhead Evo or a 2.5 T-Maxx

Recommendations on a Warhead Evo or a 2.5 T-Maxx

Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Recommendations on a Warhead Evo or a 2.5 T-Maxx

I am playing the role of the rc consultant helping my sister shop for a nitro MT for her bf. With her budget of ~$350 and from what he has looked at so far in the magazine ads, we have narrowed down our choices to the Duratrax Warhead Evo and the T-Maxx 2.5.

I've read both trucks have their fair share of problems but it's hard to see whether the root cause of those problems are the truck itself or the driver.

Given a beginner's driving style (nothing too aggressive), which of the 2 trucks will be more durable? Less headaches? Less initial upgrades? Easier for the noob to fix?

So far I know the warhead with it's TVP setup is logically more robust (yet the parts are cramped in) and has the added benefit of a bigger engine and metal shafts. However I've read a lot of horror stories with the first gen warheads and maybe some evo's. The Maxx on the other hand just seems to be the more popular choice but it may have it's issues as well.

So what should I recommend?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The first thing you should do is find out what the local hobby shops carry for trucks and parts. The truck is going to break sooner or later and there is nothing like hunting down parts from other citys. That will help you out with the decision, yes they are equal in durability although keep in mind a lot of LHS wont have nearly the selection for the TMAXX 2.5 since the 3.3 has taken over. The warhead EVO is its newest model so any hobby shops that carry it should keep a good variety of parts on hand.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:18 PM
RCH
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Having personal experiance with both trucks, Coz Ive owned them both. Id say the TMaxx of the 2 choices. The Warhead has a terrible turning radius, its a bugger to adjust the susp from bash to race, the reverse is the main weak point on the truck, 3rd time I used it it went out, replaced it and 4 reverses it was gone out again, so I left it out. The Super Tiger 27 is a boat anchor of a mill. Gutless and gets very hot very fast. I replaced it with an Axial 28 Spec 1s and now its a fun truck to run and handles great, except the poor turning radius.

The TMaxx is a fun truck to beat on, though for a lil more money get the 3.3 The 2.5 is a decent engine but the 3.3 is the one to get. The bulkheads are weak as are the susp arms, upgrade to RPM Arms and it will also help the Bulkheads last longer as the RPM will flex instead of be hard and brittle like the factory arms.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Look at getting a truggy or revo. Both are more durable than a maxx, and much better overall. I hear the cen matrix is a good choice, and should be close to the price range you mentioned. It might not have the easy parts availability at your lhs, but it won't need parts that often either.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

$80 more and she can get him the savage 4.6 that blows away both of those rigs. I've owned a T-maxx and would never tell anyone to buy one after all the S$%#@ I went through with this truck. The Savage I own now and is an amazing basher. Engine still purrs after 3 gallons and I've only broke 2 dogbones and a A-arm( and yes I do bash it hard) I've only heard negative about the warhead so I've stayed clear of them. Remember to check all the RC forums there are plenty to get lot's of info on all rigs. GOOD LUCK
Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default warhead or maxx?

o.k first of all lets talk about the savage 4.6-- it is the best savage truck so far for power and bashing, but still it is hard to work on and a real pain in the neck, it doesn't break that often but it also only goes about 30mph top speed(depends how motor is broke in) all-in-all not too bad of a truck. duratrax evo is a decent truck too, not too bad for bashing or racing motor does have alright power but not too great, like the savge hard to work on but still pretty tuff for the speed it goes. t-maxx 2.5 is about the same speed almost as tuff as the other trucks mentioned but not the best for bashing,unless you build it up the right way ($$$) but the easiest one to work on.(the t-maxx 3.3 would be the fastest at about 40-45mph, but you can buy the 2.5 learn to drive it well and then just get a more powerful motor like the O.S21) but if you want to have the best of all worlds, bashing, racing, ease of fixing any broken parts, get a truggy, the brand you get though should depend on part availability. the two that i am most partial to are the HOT BODIES LIGHTNING STADIUM or the LOSI EIGHT-T, mainly because in my area they are the ones with the best part availability at my LHS. but if the warhead and maxx are the only choices - go with the T-MAXX
Old 12-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Go with a Lightning Stadium Pro. You will not regret it, it has better handling than monster trucks and you can still bash it just as hard a a monster truck.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Givin your budget and your options, get the T-maxx. It is a great beginner truck for the money. I still got mine, and I have a lot of fun with it. Fairly cheap to fix, easy to work on, and everybody stocks parts for Traxxas prouducts. You wont be dissapointed. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Rookie

turning radius on an Evo is a $8 fix. With its race steering kit. I have 2 Race one bash one. The only thing I don't like is the stock servos.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

T-Maxx.
Reason: Cheaper to run, Parts are everywhere, Upgradable beyond your imagination, Almost everybody has had one.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Rookie

MGT anyone!