Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
New traxxas e-maxx >

New traxxas e-maxx

New traxxas e-maxx

Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

edit .... it was too hard to read so I uploaded to my site as an HTM page.

Nitro MBX5R versus Electric MBX5R cost analysis ....

Nitro MBX5R versus Electric MBX5R cost analysis

Hope you enjoy this comparison

Best regards,

Last edited by TonysScrews; 12-13-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:50 PM

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Prices seem a little off, high on the nitro side and low on the electric. Not by a lot, so it could be the different region. Anyways, thanks for putting the comparison together. I have yet to see a brushless beat a nitro though; the few videos I have seen, one being a brushless vs nitro hyper 7, they were even. They were drag racing. Anyone in San Antonio area running brushless?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

fyi ....I used the prices off Amainhobbies which are about some of the best prices you can get online. I'm curious as to what you think is high? (unless you think most guys are using a cheaper motor). Other than the motor, everything else I tried to use your typical average racer's product. I know more than half the guys running in the NorthEast have spent much more on their nitro 1/8th scale buggies (higher end motors, pipes, LiPo Rx packs w/ regulators, higher end servos, etc). I used $25 for a gallon of 30% nitro too. Some places I've seen it as high as $32 a gallon.

Many of the earlier electric conversions used older, less powerful motors, double NiMh packs, 3-cell LiPo's, etc. These newer cars with the Neu brushless motors running 4-cell LiPos are completely off the chart on power. Changing the pinion gear only changes the top speed....LOL

Best regards,
Old 12-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badaml View Post
Prices seem a little off, high on the nitro side and low on the electric....I have yet to see a brushless beat a nitro though....
The prices Tony listed are actually pretty close to what I've seen around here and he's right about the engines and pipes, most racers I know have $450 or more in an engine and at least $100 in their header/pipe. I was at the LHS the other day and checked current prices on fuel and this is what I found.

Byrons 30% 27.95
O'Donnell 30% 27.95
Trinity Monster HP 20% $29.99
Traxxas 33% $28.69

As for never having seen an electric beat a brushless. I'd be willing to bet that unless you live under a rock and never leave your home track, you will get plenty of chances to see this happen in the '08 season.

As for my fuel estimates, please keep in mind it's been several years since I ran a full season of racing like I used to. At the time I was running every weekend it took a good .21 to get more than 5:30 or so and the larger displacement engines which were just making their debut in racing were struggling to make 5 minutes for the most part. IMHO, the most significant advance in nitro engine technology since that time has been in the area of run time, but as I said before, you can't get that extra time without spending some serious cash. I went to a race last year to help pit a friend of mine who was running an OS .21 VG. I put him on the clock during practice and he was running between 5 and 6 minutes on a tank at around 260 to 270. We leaned him a hair for the mains so we could pit at 5:30. The guy pitting next to me was running one of the new OS speed engines and was pitting every 7 minutes. Please understand, I'm in no way trying to slag nitro, I raced it for several years because it was that or stand on the sidelines, but the worm is once again turning and like it or not, electric is the next big thing in 8th scale off road. I remember a time when the debate raged over nitro being able to run a main longer than 5 minutes and most people thought it couldn't be done. Some were sure it couldn't be done without destroying the car and another group said it couldn't be done because the rec pack would dump. At the time rec packs were 800 to 1100 mah so the concern over pack dumping was real, but we pushed the envelope any way. The end result was forcing manufacturers to adapt to the new format or die. The same thing is happening with electric power systems today.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well guys got my new E-maxx today... gonna take it out tomorrow and see how it goes!! Let ya all know.....
Old 12-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

At last! something about the new E-Maxx.

ghuber, how much? what color/freq. did you get? Pics will be nice. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

I do apologize for getting off track on this thread. We can take it to the 1/8th scale electric conversions thread in the electric forum if you guys want to discuss it further.

As for the new E-Maxx, it sounds like Traxxas really stepped up with this new truck and did their homework. Most of the guys I know that own the older truck will welcome all the updates on this new ride.

Best regards,
Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I guess the difference in cost is that I don't have any interest in racing. Just bashing. Man I'm dying to get my hands on the new emaxx.
guys on the traxxas boards are starting to get theirs and putting up pictures. they look swwweeeeettt.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

They sure are sweet!!!

Man, our hobby shops here in Canada will be having them late december or early January of 08. Bummer.

I'm liking the silver/black body.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 4wdmt View Post
At last! something about the new E-Maxx.

ghuber, how much? what color/freq. did you get? Pics will be nice. Thanks.
I got mine for $369 w/o tax from my LHS. Pretty good deal... Body is blue and silver.

We had a snowstorm here in NJ over the weekend. Lots of snow, sleet, ice and rain. As soon as I woke up I broke out the e-maxx and hit the road. Boy was it fun. I made a few huge snow ramps and proceeded to see how far I could launch it... A great time!! Also, drove it through all the sloppy mess, including huge puttles of slush, ice and snow without having any problems whatsoever! I love the waterproofing!!

It is pretty quick stock out of the box. I also like the new driveshafts!! Think I might get a set of 4600s for it and the Trinity mod motors.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

One question. From it's stock gearing, does it still do wheelie on command? I saw the water proof torture test of RCdriver at youtube, looks fun in snow. It's a must have for '08 for me.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 4wdmt View Post
One question. From it's stock gearing, does it still do wheelie on command? I saw the water proof torture test of RCdriver at youtube, looks fun in snow. It's a must have for '08 for me.
Yes, it certainly does!!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

To fhm555: posts 38 and 43 are well said! Good job and Have a Merry Christmas as you take care of some unfinished nitro business-(heh heh heh)
Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

I got me emaxx a couple days ago. So far I've only run it with 3000mah 6 cell packs. I have 7 cell maxamps ordered. I'm happy with it so far. I realize I'm not running enough battery to see its full potential but its WAY slower than my nitro stuff till I get 7cell batts. We have been getting a fair amount of snow so really I've only been able to run it on the street where its plowed since the stuff in our yard is too deep. It gets stuck even with the chains I made. However by the time I run all my packs through it its so packed with snow under the body that the suspension is riding always bottomed out. The waterproof is great. With my nitro stuff I have to let them sit in the tub till they melt, then use compressed air to dry them off. With the new emaxx I throw it in the kitchen sink and use the sprayer to melt all the snow with hot water, then use compressed air to dry it. It takes about 5 minutes to get it cleaned now. Thats way faster than nitro and I'm starting to think cleaning it might be the best advantage of being waterproof.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Initiate

I 2nd ghuber. I also have the new E-Maxx running 2 LiPo packs. approx 20min runtime, crazy power in stock trim (4900Mah TrakPower LiPo). As for the comments on the E-Crappage, the kid down the road has one decked out, and its a slug in comparison. Wheels pull up so hard on the maxx, I went out and got a wheely bar. I'm gonna do some modding to it, but not going for a bling king, just mods for durability, bashing, and racing. I love the noise of nitro, but in FL the carbs are so touchy. It gets to be a real pain trying to "F" with the mixture rather than charging up the LiPos or the backup 14 cells to run it with little to no maintainence. Nitro is cool, but electric is easy.

btw, anyone have info on the two speed kit for the new trans?(listed as optional)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service