Community
Wiki Posts
Search

savage 21 spur gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up savage 21 spur gear

i have just bought a savage 21 off ebay and i was looking at what it come with and the guy said he put a metal spur gear on. a couple of people have told me the spur gear was desgined to strip away under pressure thus stopping damage to the engine and gearbox. i just want to know what else i will have to upgrade to stop the damage from happening. i would also like to know what type of work is involved in fitting a reverse gear. i have a nitrostar 21bb engine installed and want to know the best geartrain for grassy fields. i dont want it to wheelie but i do want the torque. any suggestions would be much apreciated
Old 11-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

To set the record straight.
the slipper clutch in the spur gear is what protects your drivetrain. Not a plastic gear. It just has to be adjusted properly. The gearbox is can take a fair amount of abuse. You should see problems with the engine clutch or axles before any tranny problems. If you start breaking axles, loosen the slipper a little bit. If the engine clutch heats up and disappears to quickly, gear it down. This is mostly a problem if you try and run oversize tires.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

The best spot for these kind of questions is on the savage thread.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Initiate

ok so i just fiddle around a bit to get the best settings. do u have any suggestions about the geartrain. how many teeth do i need on the bell clutch and spur gear for grassy fiels and dirt
Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

i can't remember off the top of my head what i'm using. Mind you i'm also running a 4.6 X SS Savage so what works for me may not work for you. With that perspective the stock gearing is more than capable for any offroad conditions ( or onroad ). Just try the gearing the way it is. The previous owner put that ratio in whatever it is, so see if it works for you. If it does wheelies all the time and you can't keep the front end down, Try a taller gear ratio. If it goes too fast gear it down. Basically start at the stock ratio and see what you want to do with it after that.
Again the best place to ask these questions is on the official savage thread. At least you'll find someone with an identical truck and 20 different opinions.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

ok cheers dude