Wiki Posts
Search

tire balancing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default tire balancing

What is the easyest way to balance a MT tire? I have a new set of Bowtie's and would like to get them as true as possable.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Initiate

would be good to know. my son's talons are gross. just got the maxx tuned nicely and it rips, if the tires didn't roll like eggs it would go alot better.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depending on the application I use a old axle carrier (with bearings that have never been used for anything else so they stay smooth) with the axle and hexes mounted in a vice. Then I just mount the wheel and give it a slow spin in one direction until it stops with the heavy side at the bottom and mark it. I then recheck by spinning the wheel in the other direction. I then add some weight to the opposite side (the high side) on the inside of the rim where it won't be hit by any thing. Depending on the wheel I use either stick on 1:1 car weights cut down or a hot glue gun. I just have a guess at how much weight I use, its easier with the hot glue gun because I can add little bits at a time and recheck.

You could use the axle on the truck but its best to remove the driveshaft (or dog bone) and you want to be sure the bearings spin freely.