Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Muggy pit falls???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi Muggy pit falls???????

I have been attempting to research some of the larger off road nitro trucks and seem to have narrowed it down to the Losi Muggy. Though I am not fond of the AM radio with crystals the rest of the package is appealing since I would not have to get a starter box, high end servos, a motor and pipe. Trying to find out if there are any "common failure" items that have come to light since the release of this model ie;

"sport"type motor tuning and/or longevity.

Suspension and/or drivetrain components failing prematurely due to wear or breakage.

Is the starting system releiable or am I gonna end up being forced to get a starter box anyway.

Does the vehicle have a two speed???

Any feedback from anyone who owns one of these vehicles or anyone who knows someone who has run one would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

It's single speed

Problems:
It's over geared, and burns clutches out in many cases.
At the very least change to a 12t spur. Down sizing to maxx size rims takes a lot of strain off the clutch as well.

I installed an orion v6 from day one. It lasted 9 tanks, well 6 really as 3 were static. Since going to a 17mm hex and maxx size rims, a 12t cb and a eight 48t spur, i've had no problems with the clutch.

Twin servo set up can cause servo's to burn out if not properly set up. One good single servo is my recomendation.

The steering tie rod can wear easily. It's secured by 2 screws through it and into bushings. These can easily work loose, and wear the holes in the tie rod and create slop. I've modified mine with an xray 5x50mm turnbuckle and a couple of rod ends and pivot balls.

Knuckles are plastic, and really want changing out to something like new era ones.

Steering turnbuckles can bend easily if a good knock is taken, I changed mine out to Edit ones.

Diff and cvd's are bullet proof, shocks give no grief.

My personal opinion is the screws are too small for the bulkhead securing to the chassis. Go an 1/8th longer and buy some shoe goo and put onto the threads of the screws. Use this on all screws into plastic - especially the wing mount ones as the wing is quite high in relation to many others and obviously creates greater leverage and thus stress on the mountings.

Battery box doesn't seal. Get an external charging lead and I use a couple of cable ties to keep it shut.

Sounds like a few problems, but at the mo, i'm loving mine, especially when I get my hands on the latest development chassis from Innovative-rc. I've been testing them for him, and at present he's incorporating a Sportwerks Mayhem battery box that I sent to him, into the design.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Fit the losi mud guards as well.

Helps protect your pipe and keeps the crap out really well
Old 06-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for taking to time to respond to my questions plod. At this point I am still just "tire kicking" until I make a decision on what vehicle to try out. I am just trying to do what I can to make sure I do my research before I purchase so I know what I am getting into before I actually get into it. I know regardless of what vehicle I get there will be some item and/or items of concern. I just don't want to make a $550.00 purchase and then afterward have to put another $400.00 worth of hop ups and or aftermarket upgrades into a vehicle to get satisfaction out of it if I don't have to. I don't want to be the "guinee pig" doing the R&D for the manufacturer. Once again, thanks for taking the time