Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Monster Truck From Ground Up or Upgrade? >

Monster Truck From Ground Up or Upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monster Truck From Ground Up or Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Monster Truck From Ground Up or Upgrade?

Hey I have a few questions. For a while I've been thinking about building a monster truck from the ground up. But I recently bought a XTM X-Cellerator. The question is do I make a Monster or do I try to upgrade the X-Cellerator? If I should upgrade the X-Cellerator what parts should I get for it?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I am newer to this and i have no idea what an XTM X-Cellerator is.

From first hand experiance with RC and other things, it is Always more expensive building something from the ground up.

If you want to build from scratch buy your favorite car or truck used, usually you will get a good deal, and upgrade all of the worn out or ugly parts. There are certain parts of a truck that will almost never wear out, so why pay top dollar for those parts.

Many times a seller will include many parts or extras like batteries, multiple sets of tires, an already up graded radio and electronics.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

for my first truck i got a new one.
seemed like the best idea, so i would know exactly what happened to
all the parts as they break or malfunction.
also, i got to break in the engine and i'm still learning how to better tune it.
yes its more costly but if you are planning to get into the hobby it may be a good route to explore.
good luck
Old 05-26-2007, 04:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I love my t-maxx and havnt had a single problem with it.
But when building it from the ground up watch out.
I built mine from the ground up and it ended up costing me almost what a new one would have.(but with a few upgrades along the way)
But on the other hand i'm not so much into RTR's and like building kits.

But by building it my self its 100% mine I.ve beat the snots out of it and havnt broken a single part yet (not jumping houses) and have done cart wheels endovers and many rollovers. My poor body has taken some abuse though.

All i really have to say is building up a used one can get pricy I've got $380.00 in this one and a new trx2.5 on the way bringing it up to $480.00 for a t-maxx but I am still glad i built it, gives ya an attachment like no other.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Isn't that XTM a stadium truck? It'd be alot cheaper and easier in the long run to either buy a rtr monster truck or build one that comes as a kit ( Savage SS for example) and it'll be a true monster truck rather than one of these goofy projects some magazines love so much.

Zues, if you think $380 is pricey for an MT, that's what I have in the brushless esc and motor alone for my Savage.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayeddy

Zues, if you think $380 is pricey for an MT, that's what I have in the brushless esc and motor alone for my Savage.
I was just pointing out how it comes out buying a rtr or trying to build from the ground up.
NOT TRYING TO START A PISSING MATCH