Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
What's the missing pieces? Revo >

What's the missing pieces? Revo

What's the missing pieces? Revo

Old 04-19-2007, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default What's the missing pieces? Revo

Alright guys, we all go a little nuts on our rides so I'm no different. One night of beers and the next morning you're like, "ummm....wow". Well, wow, I got a little nuts but MAN am I gonna have the ride come the next race. I placed second at the season opener in Wolcott, CT less than two week ago and all I had from stock was some tires, FOC and a set of RPM arms. I wonder what my excuse will be if I don't place first in the next one right?

What I'm looking for is advice. As the money flows I want to make SURE I've gotten the things I need for me to FINISH the race to start with, and then worry about my placing in the pack. When you spend the kind of cash we do on our rides it's a smart idea to ask others what they use and what they think will work. What better site to ask about a Revo than this one right? So here we go with the list. The parts are still coming in so it's not assembled yet but rest assured that when it is I'll be in RCTech showing off my passion.

Revo 3.3R stock truck
BB Conversion
Ninja MR21BO1A
JP-1
Proline 40-series Wabash w/ Crimefighters
American CNC 23mm hexes
RPM carriers
Lundsford Titanium pillow balls
RPM arms
Lundsford Titanium carrier pins
Traxxas red aluminum pushrods and turnbuckles
Lundsford Titanium rocker posts
All the Tekno relocation mods
Tekno rear wing mount
FOC tranny conversion
Maximizer center diff cup w/ brake setup
MIP center CVDs
RDLogics CVD driveshafts F/R
Proline single servo arm
JR Z9000T 320oz/in digital steering servo
Hitech HT5645MG digital trottle servo
Integy aluminum servo guard
Integy skids front to back
RPM bumpers
RRP 16/40T bell/spur
Trinity HD springs F/R
RDLogics starter box
Futaba 3PK-Super
Spektrum Tx/Rx
Proline CrowdPleaser 2.0
A LOT of love from it's owner

So there you have it. That should be most of it there. I'm trying to find a good pipe for this Ninja engine and I have an OS 21VG as backup for it.

I've considered replacing the rx battery by building up a set of Intellect 1200mah cells but I don't have any complaint out of the Traxxas one yet to motivate me. I'm VERY happy with my new truck as I've had it less than 2 months now and she's come a LONG way since that first $500 purchase at the LHS.

What I'm looking for is the missing pieces. As it comes together and goes from a Revo to a racing truck I'm constantly looking in other pit boxes and online trying to see what others are doing and what works for them. My question to you is, "what's your opinion on the build and what am I missing?" I would love some feedback on my ride and I will gladly reward you guys with both pictures and maybe a video or two of how it all looks/works when it hits the track. Only a fool would think he knew it all and so today I turn to the members of RCTechd for help. I want the truck competitive second only to durability. No matter how fast your ride is it's only worth ANYTHING if it crosses the finish line at the end of the race.

I've got a 17mm set of Proline 40-series Maxx Velocities w/ Crimefighters coming for testing to see if the buggy tires are really the way to go but I'm a firm believer in TRACTION so I like my 40s and it's going to have to make one heck of a difference to get me to change from them to a truggy setup. Your feedback, advice, comments are appreciated and I look forward to making RCTech proud by building the next great Revo to hit the track.

Thank you in advanced.

Last edited by Wolverini; 04-19-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks to me like you got everything. But for racing you dont need half of that to Win the A-Main. But overall good choice in parts
Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

The skids and servo guard were just part of a deal so I figured "what the hey" ya know. Thanks for the feedback bro.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

damn bro you said you were snaggin parts but GEEZE looks like you got it all but the kitchen sink!!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Dude a Ninja?
I would go with a 3.3 and definately definately get the RRP tranny gears in metal. That Ninja will blow a tranny up quicker than a Homophobic LA Cop

IMO the 3.3 or the OS TZ/TM will be faster around the track because of the lower CG and more controllable power, but thats just my .02 since you asked for it, and the fastest Revo guys in the World never use anything but the 3.3's and or the OS's. Smooth controllable power is what your after. I would also recommend the JD Carbon Hinge Pins and Pushrods/Steering links to lighten up the rig a good bit.
http://www.jdcarbon.com/
Old 04-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

LOL. It also eats 3.3R's for an afternoon snack. But you are most correct, the RRP gears in the tranny and diffs are the next step. I already have aluminum diff cups but all the gears in hardened steel is the next step of the build. I just commented on what I'd done so far and getting other people's opinion about the next step in the build. Your comment is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. But to suggest that I'd go back to a Traxxas RTR engine is ludicris. The RRP gearing is a MUCH better way to go and I'd be a complete fool to avoid that particular upgrade path with racing buggy engines in a Revo. The way I figured it in that area was that given a month from now I'd have enough wear on the gears to be READY for RRP steel about the time I recover from the hit of the recent purchases. The list I've done in a short time shows my dedication to both the truck and racing in general. The end isn't even in sight for upgrading it but simply a temporary plateau to recouperate fundage to continue. This thread is a learning tool for me to find the next set of upgrades.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Oh and I have been very happy with my new sway bars and the wide offset Maximizer wheels. We'll see how they do on the loamy bumpy track this weekend but after lapping 2nd place a few times at the last race I know that many of the racers have figured out how to make some for their trucks. My truck was dialed and I only had to get marshalled once in a 30 minute main. It was the easiest setup I have ever driven on a Revo. I am still using a Quickturn also BTW.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

I have to agree with riverrevo... you just don't see pro's racing BB Revo's and there IS a reason for it... but far be it for me to try and change your mind.
Aditionally:
-I prefer Proline's MTR line of tires on 17mm dish's BY FAR to running 40's... many benefits.
-IMO alum skids, and servo guards are un-neccesary and simpley add weight.
-I ran RD Logics CVD's all around on my Revo and the diff outdrives wore quickly... went back to plastic eventually and have been much happier since
-larger fuel tank would be a good idea if you don't have one on.
This is all based on racing experience... lots of trial and error, but it is my opinion.. you asked.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Like the old saying goes you cant buy your way to the finish line. As for that Ninja on the REVO I would say thats massive OVERKILL! your gona hate havin the guys with the 18tm's running faster lap times that you. Ive seen it time and time again. Bigger is not better in the REVO's case. my .02
Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

You're missing one very important thing!

...fuel!!!
Practice will make you faster than all the bling you can slap on a chassis.

...I should be out there practicing right now!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Can't say I agree with your first point ONLY because I CAN drive and realize the true power of my engine choices. I would simply be a bashing fool if I hammered the engine's abilities out of every turn. What my intention to do is have that power capacity on tap and slightly metered with a good slipper setup at some near point in the future. I DON'T want to kill the truck as not finishing is simply last place on the boards. I am trusting that HAVING it and not needing it beats NEEDING it and not having it. If the engine proves to be just THAT sick in power then I'd evaluate just HOW much more than I need I actually have. At that point I'd step DOWN in engine performance to equalize the numbers. End result, you ARE correct for the most part but I suspect that as well so it will be taken into account during my runs. I do have the assistance of a good radio to turn down the speed of the acceleration curve to ease the transition from idle to 'on-power' coming out of a slow turn, etc.

Feedback on the tires...right on perspective which is why I got a set of them coming to check it out..

Aluminum skids were a deal I couldn't refuse in a trade so I figured I'd mount them just out of paranoia in strength value and then see if they were to stick around on the rig.

GREAT feedback on the RDLogics CVD set...great to hear from somebody who's ran them and did something different after...good thing they were only $47 so I'll try them out and take your review in account when I inspect them for sure.

Good thought, since 90% of it is club racing and trophy races there is no restriction on tank sizes. I guess that one slipped right through the fog of a couple of cold beers.

THANK YOU!! You are the feedback guys I'm looking for. I hope I've made myself clear in trying to do this intelligently and not just with a pocket full of money and no common sense.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Excessive power is only one aspect of why a BB Revo wont perform like a SB Revo. You have to take into acount your weight bias/balance, your center of gravity, and also reliability.
Of course this all depends on track type as well.... if you run on a wide open smooth track... you may just have something with a .21 mill. Adversely, any typical track that has tight section(s) or is bumpy with rythym section(s) a SB Revo is going to be far superior.
I have seen well tuned 3.3 Revo's produce lap times close to that of 1/8 truggies
Old 04-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

i wouldnt spend a single dime on a revo,neither buy one in the first place

not trying to start a flame up....just my opinion
Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Because you havent raced one.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ProudSavageOwnr
i wouldnt spend a single dime on a revo,neither buy one in the first place

not trying to start a flame up....just my opinion
Then why post?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.