Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Trouble Starting a Kyosho QRC RAM >

Trouble Starting a Kyosho QRC RAM

Trouble Starting a Kyosho QRC RAM

Old 04-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Trouble Starting a Kyosho QRC RAM

Hey all, my first post here, hopefully someone can help. About 4 years ago I bought a Kyosho QRC Wild Dodge Ram, ran it around a good bit, had alot of fun. Well unfortunately for the last 3 years I've been living where I can't work on it or run it around - until recently. Now I'm trying to get it back in running shape. Yesterday I replaced the glow plug and the nitro, cleaned it all up, etc. After some fiddling and tinkering I managed to get it running just fine.

Here's the problem: Today I can't get it started again. Yesterday I had a bitch of a time getting it started but something I did worked, today, no such luck. I fill the tank, open the carb, prime the fuel system, and then try to start it. Its got one of thoes fun electric start systems that runs an elec motor and heats the plug. When I touch the starter battery to it - it makes this TERRIBLE screaming noise. I don't know what it is, or what to do about it.

I've tried adding more fuel, I've tried taking the plug off and getting the excess fuel out, I've tried different plugs (even though they work just fine), I've tried a separate glow heater (even though the onboard works), I've closed the carb way down, opened it way up, etc. I'm out of ideas, and I really don't want to ruin the engine.

I've read the manual over and over, I've surfed all over, I'm just going nuts. Nothing anywhere says "if your engine makes a screaming noise, try X". Please send help!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't believe it!

Someoene other than me bought this!

These things were out before Tmaxx's!!! with reverse (though its terrible)

Anywho...I'm guessing the screeching you're hearing is the motor that's trying to turn over the engine screeching because it can't turn over the engine. Since this truck is almost 10 years old with the original engine it's probably seized up. Put a drop or three of some kind of lubricant in the glow plug hole and grab the flywheel and rotate it the way the engine is supposed to turn to free up the engine. If your flywheel can move then you may have a different probalem but thats what it sounds like.

-Tony
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Rookie

LOL - Indeed. This was actually my first RC land vehicle. I bought it because I had a Dodge Ram 2500 at the time, and reverse sounded cool. I think I ended up breaking the QRC. They said in several reviews that it was ok to shove it right from full forward to reverse, but... not so much. I ended up switching it to brake.

But, I finally figured out the problem. I some how go dirt and muck into the electric starter gears. This ended up cracking one of the gears. Because it was cracked - the metal gear attached directly to the motor stripped the teeth on the plastic gear (which was cracked). Stupid series of events. I'm purdy sure that "screaming" noise I describe was the sound of the gears stripping each other.

I've managed to get ahold of someone at Kyosho, and I've found what parts to order. But after this entire deal (while I'm waiting for new parts - since this is my only kit) I may get myself an electric.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

whatever bearing in the car may have a problem...try putting an updated system on it...hell i had two of em..but i was gonna run it as electric...ironic thing is i lost one of them amongst all my cars lol so i now have to search for it in the garage

but anywho not sure what's going on
Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Rookie

What do you mean put an updated system on it? Sorry, kinda a newb. I think you mean put an updated engine, starter, etc on it.

How would I go about even beginning to figure how I would find a bigger engine that would fit, or make it electric? etc?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Tech Elite

i meant updated starter....but if ya want you could get an os or something and run the traxxas ez start system!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I take it the starters on the old Kyosho I have are known to suck?

I looked at the the Traxxas ez start system, which I have no idea if it would actually work on my current engine. I could swap up to the TRX2.5R engine, but I dont think this little truck is worth that much. For now I'll let it sit, maybe I'll replace it with a new starter from Kyosho.

In the mean time I have to decide if I want to get a Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 Nitro Truck or a Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC '05 Electric. Decisions....
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

you could get an os .12 for cheap nowadays but i could understand why you don' twant to put money into it