Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage X or AE MGT >

Savage X or AE MGT

Savage X or AE MGT

Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Post Savage X or AE MGT

Bored with electric. Ready to go nitro. I know I want a BB MT so I have narrowed it down to the Savage X or MGT. Budget of $400. My concerns are which one is: easiest to work on and get parts for, durability, top speed, best for a nitro noob. Bashing, jumping, and drag racing buddies only. Friends all have Traxxas (Revo, T & E MaxxBL, Jato). I now everyone here loves the Revo but it seems a little difficult to work on cause its tight with those lay down shocks and is too $$$ for a basher. Maxx breaks alot (broke in half twice). Jato 3.3 is badass but I want a 4wd MT. Also considered the Aftershock but heard the HPI was more durable. Any advice, pros and cons would be greatly appreciated. Leaning towards the Savage, its def my style.

AE 18T
06 Traxxas Rustler Trinity Chameleon Pro 19t
Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

I have a savage X and it is tough as nails. I researched MT's before I bought it, and found that it looked to be the most durable.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Rookie

bash or race?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Bashing of course! I think a T-Maxx is probably better for racing, just my opinion from what I have read.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Rookie

How long have you had it? Break anything yet? We mostly ramp jump. Back/front flip it yet?
Thanx
Old 04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get a Tamiya TNX 5.2R and race and bash a great life ...

Well, sorry, i race a TNX for 1 1/2 years and WOW ... well, between your choices, im more for the AE MGT,

cya,
Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Rookie

I had it for about a month and have jumped it quite a bit, not huge jumps, only because I have not built a big ramp yet. I did have to send it back to HPI the other day because it was not shifting into second gear. They said they would repair it at no charge. I haven't broke anything yet. I am glad that I got an X.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanx madmax, thats just the kind of input I was lookin for. Let me know how long it takes to get it back. Any other savage owners have similar problems? Not sure I would still be glad after only a month of use.
Built 3 ramps. The 4' high kicker is deadly if u dont land it.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Savage = Big Air!! Look closley. I hit a freestyle motocross ramp flat out second gear. I then went on to pull off another 6 or so before attempting a back flip, that ended my day!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Savage X or AE MGT-huge-air-.jpg  
Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I just ordered a Savage X kit and got it for under $400
http://myrcsupply.net/index.php?main...oducts_id=3693

I went with it because of the availability of savage parts as well as the fact the Savage X is supposed to be easier to work on than the previous savages which were comparable in work difficulty to the MGT. Plus at that price, you can't beat the kit. I'm waiting on mine to come in the mail very anxiously. From what I understand the savage is definitely the way to go for bashing, and if you're drag racing you can always get the 3 speed later, but for racing your buddies not it sounds like they all have two speed trucks so it won't be necessary.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Rookie

I have had my MGT for 10 months and put 3 gallons thru in the months I was able to use the truck. I have only broken parts because of driving the truck into solid objects (A-arm vs. culvert & front dif. casing vs car tire)
This truck is easy to work on, most major components can be removed with ought tearing down 1/2 the truck.
It lacks a little in speed vs some of the other trucks and maybe doesn't fly as high, but the ease of use/repair and the solid performance make it perfect for a Nitro starter (it is my first).
There are some upgrade parts available, but I would say there are fewer for the MGT than for all those other trucks.
Bonus* Savage,T-Maxx bodies fit the MGT with some very minor mods.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

ive owned both the savage and MGT, Savage is almost indestructable.

I raced my MGT and only time I really broke anything was hitting a concrete wall and hitting a street sign post full speed - savage probably would have broken too.

Easiest to work on - MGT
Best handling out of the box - MGT
top speed - dont know, never really cared

MGT has the wrong clutchbell on it from the factory, put a 17T or 18T clutchbell on it and its much better.

for $400, both trucks are adequate, MGT has a metal gear steering servo and reverse (if you want that) but outside of that they are pretty equal with the savage being a little tougher.

OR

save up another $200 and get a new LST2 off ebay and you get a faster truck, that handles and is durable and comes with much better electronics.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

an original Savage would have driven away from a street sign hit at WOT. ive done it before. the X will break the A-arms from that though. although they can be fixed for free. they only pop off the hingepins and youd never notice once you get the suckers back on

I love the F4.1 engine. loads of power and easy to tune. here is a short video of backyard bashing.
http://dropshots.com/day.php?userid=...3&ctime=201026
and of course, the oh so legendary shed jump photo.....

I love the Savage X and id say go for this truck for bashing....
Old 04-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking

Went with the Savage X. Got truck, rechargeable ignitor, spare plug, Trinity fuel for $425 from LHS. They have plenty of HPI parts but no parts for the MGT so that was the deciding factor since it'll be a basher.
Just got done breaking it in. Ran 3 tanks through it by the book. Tank 4 I leaned out the HSN just a quarter turn and she was already shifting into second. No full throttle yet. Took a few jumps. No flips yet either though. Flies nice.
Only problem is idle. Adjusting with just the controller I couldn't get it to sit still on the ground at idle without stalling. Had to keep in the gas or turn up the idle.
Havent done any fine tuning yet so I guess the idle screw will do it? Any 4.1 tuning tips would be appreciated.
Thanx for all the feedback, pix, and vids.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

adjust the idle screw on the carb for the idle, not the throttle trim. always adjust it at the carb. use the throttle trim for setting the servo as close to engaging brakes as possible but still able to roll without dragging the brakes.

of course only make 1/4 turn adjustments on the carb, you can leave the LSN alone for the most part. the idle screw is pretty numb so you'll have to turn it more then the mixture screws to get results, so don't be afraid to.

This engine holds its tune great, I have gone from Fall-Winter transitions without having to touch the carb. And it makes plenty of power for a stocker. if you crave more speed, get some Dirtbonz on some RPM Stablemaxx wheels or some dish wheels (something light) and the truck will be snappier then with the heavier (although still lightened) stock wheels/tires.