Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
E-savage vs. E-maxx??? for a 4 year old??? >

E-savage vs. E-maxx??? for a 4 year old???

E-savage vs. E-maxx??? for a 4 year old???

Old 03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default E-savage vs. E-maxx??? for a 4 year old???

ok guys, need some advice from those of you that have started your kids in RC. Its a long story, but my wife and I do not have kids. We have however become sort of mentors to a single mom with three kids. the youngest is a boy at 4 years old. he LOVES my rc cars. He makes me "chase" him with my LST2 and laughs the entire time around the yard. I about crapped last week when he made a never shown before dead stop and turned around and I kinda hit him with the truck. He went down pretty hard and sat their for what seemed like an eternity but was likely only a nano-second when he got this huge grin and stated - "That was awesome!!!!!!!!!"

well, I want to get him something to try and learn to drive. I know at 4 its going to be difficult. I was thinking along the lines of a Mini-T or a RC18T or something like that but then those dont run in grass very well but they do well in the basement. But then I was thinking something along the lines of an Emaxx or E-Savage so he could get the full pleasure of playing outside and hopefully it would hold up better to a 4 year olds abuse. Of course, I might just get both.

So what do you think for a 4 year old? whats your experience? thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

E-savage or E-maxx are both TOO FAST and TOO DANGEROUS for a 4 year old kid to handle.. He might not control it to well, could break it and can cause danger to his surroundings.. From my opinion, he should get started with an RC from a toy store..
Old 03-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I just started my son on our HPI Evo. He is 6. He has crashed it into my car's tires a couple of times but he is now getting the hang of it. I got him the Radio shack RC control car which handled well over dirt etc. But nothing really did so well over grass which sucks. SO I decided letting him handle the EVO in open parking lots where he could not damage any thing that was not ours. I was surprised how well he handled the car with a little of hands on steering for him and smiling telling him was doing good and boom he was doing great. I think the Key is finding a smaller remote control car that has the same transmitter as the next nitro car you will let him use. This way he knows how to use the transmitter before you give him somthing with power. As long he can't hurt himself and someone elses property than I don't see why you can't, hey it's your money, and I think it is awesome you are helpig with her kids. Good luck
Vic
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Maxx and Savage too fast

IMO, an emaxx or esavage are too fast. how about a Wheely king, or stampede? single motor, single battery. more manageable. My experience is that 1/18th scales are not as durable as 1/10th
Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Let him drive your LST

but seriously, turn the EPA down (so it goes slow enough for him to not hurt anything) and let him toy around with your LST and see how he does. I think the wheely king would be a great (and cheaper) choice. I own an E-zilla and the truck take a real good beating but it is a fast truck. I havent heard alot of good about the E-maxx. durability wise.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

We have several Radio Shack 4x4s we let the grandkids drive when they are over. The things are slow and tough as nails. And go good on grass.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

While your at it get him a 1/5th scale MT
J/K

LST2 MINI
Old 03-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

lol, im not going to expect to him to make tight manuevers. Im going to take him to the most wide open places I can find to run it for starters. Honestly too, Im not going to set the EPA to 100% on the throttle either. So, he's not going to hurt his surroundings, if he breaks it I will fix it and possibly the only person he would hurt would be me and well, Im tough lol.

Ive never seen any real reviews on the e-savage so wasnt sure how it ran compared to the emaxx. The temptation would be for me not to stick a brushless in it and take it racing on a saturday instead of my LST2. And Im not scared of him wrecking my LST2, Im just not a big fan of handing over my Competion model Helios to him
Old 03-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pick up a new Stampede Darrell. the esc can be set to 50% power. My buddys son (who it 5) ran mine after the T4 he drives broke and he had no spares. It held up to the pipes well. They are tough trucks, and you can add RPM stuff whenever something breaks. Its a single battery, and its lighter when he hit something/someone. Like himself. We all have done it!

The truck will run fine in the grass,and has decent ground clearance. After some time and when he gets better at driving, you can put the esc to 100% and get speeds of about 30mph. Its easy to get spares for, just go to any Hobbytown.

I am slimming down my herd since I wont be racing this year, but I wont give up the 'pede. I kinda forgot how fun it can be just to peak a pack and hit the back yard, and noy just for tuning!!

And a brushless set-up in these is killer..........
Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how about a 1/10th truck, a rustler or a stampede. they can go through grass, sortoff...
Old 03-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mach51
And Im not scared of him wrecking my LST2, Im just not a big fan of handing over my Competion model Helios to him
lol i hear ya, im afraid of anybody touching my M11. thats my baby.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

i let my 3 year old neice drive my hpi savage....nitro not electric...she bashes a few things in the backyard....it just walks aaway with no damage so if i was to buy something for a youngster ide go with a Esavage....the beating i have put my savage through and it still goes!!!!! and i mean beating!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Tech Initiate

i would get the e-savage its more durable. then regear it to go slower, he'll love it.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)
Thumbs up Electric STAMPEDE

I would have to recommend the Pede of course. My son was 3 when he was just learning how to "be in control" and that is what he learned with for the most part. Now he is 5 and runs our nitro Revos and our 1/8th buggies. The Pede definitely helped in a huge way and it was an awesome truck to beat and fix(simple). Good luck and way to be a nice guy!!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

I think an E-Savage or some other electric powered vehicle would be great for a 4 year old. For youngsters, electric is better for various reasons - no clutches to worry about, switch on and go and easy reversing without the need for added complexity. From a safety point of view, fuel and heat is best avoided when small children are part of the equation.

4 is a good age - ours (all 4 of them) started learning to drive proper RC cars at that age and usually by then the had/eye co-ordination and spatial perception has sufficiently developed for them to start enjoying the challenges presented by RC.

With ours, I got them started on 1/10th buggies, primarily because I had stocks of spares for them. As their control skills developed, I ensured they had matching 1/10th Subaru Imprezas to use when the weather was poor.

The important thing is to ensure the gear ratio is kept nice and low, far lower than recommended by the manual, to ensure the speed is kept sensible. The bonus here is that run-times are extended too. As their skill improves, you can adjust the gearing to suit. Adjusting the gearing to control the speed has several other advantages over using the Radio alone to govern the speed. On some ESC's equipped with 'punch' control or current limiters/throttle profiles, you can reduce heat related problems by selecting/adjusting for a softer/lower current setting.

Just you wait till all of them are using cars 'sponsored' by you - the battery management side of things becomes a full time job!!

Enjoy.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.