R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   Slipper clutch problem? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/154390-slipper-clutch-problem.html)

BradT041 03-15-2007 10:44 PM

Slipper clutch problem?

I bought a used savage, when I got the truck it was stuck in reverse, the diffs were in backwards so i fixed that. But I do have something that I can't figure out.. When the truck starts (or even during starting) the tires turn. I have to throw the truck to get it going because if I set it down it dies because the tires are turning. Could this be the slipper clutch or do I have something screwed up in the tranny? Anybody had this type of problem ? Thx! :weird: :weird:

Delta9 03-15-2007 11:50 PM

I would take the engine out and inspect the clutch shoes and springs inside the clutchbell, sounds like they are broken to me.

litsluv 03-16-2007 05:24 AM

I agree with Delta, sounds like a clutch problem.

Rookie 4.6 03-16-2007 06:56 AM

Hold your finger on the clutch bell and turn the motor over, if the clutch bell turns it will need to be re-built.

PS. You cant put savage diffs in backwards. They only go in the casing one way! :)

Good Luck.

Robert.Hull 03-16-2007 09:02 AM

yea your springs are broken just change them and you will be good to go :nod:

ps. rookie 4.6 if you have the truck apart and get confused you can put the front diff case in the rear and rear case in the front witch is what happened ;)

Horatio 03-16-2007 09:47 AM

Worst case scenario - your clutch bell bearings have seized, your springs are weak/broken and your clutch shoes need replacing.

Best case scenario - your clutch, bearings and springs are perfect, but you have a fast tickover!! :lol:

BradT041 03-16-2007 11:27 AM

Yea I just flipped the shaft and diffs around in the casing (front and back) and it fixed it. Are you sure they can only go one way? I didnt take the diff gear off the shaft I just flipped it all around and put the casing back together.

Horatio 03-17-2007 03:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BradT041
Yea I just flipped the shaft and diffs around in the casing (front and back) and it fixed it. Are you sure they can only go one way? I didnt take the diff gear off the shaft I just flipped it all around and put the casing back together.

The diffs can only fit in the casing one way. The stock moulding is shaped such that the crown gear can only fit on one side inside the case. The same gearboxes are used front and rear, so other than the diff oil weight, in theory it makes no difference which gearbox goes where!

:weird:

What you describe has nothing to do with the tyres spinning when the car is at tickover. Suffice to say, that if the truck appears fixed now because of it, it maybe purely co-incidence.

The truck running in reverse is bizarre, but as you can see from the picture, there is no way you can put the diffs in to the gearboxes in reverse.

Horatio 03-17-2007 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Robert.Hull
ps. rookie 4.6 if you have the truck apart and get confused you can put the front diff case in the rear and rear case in the front witch is what happened ;)

But by definition, they are the exact same part - times 2. It wouldn't make any difference, other than diff oil weights.

Rookie 4.6 03-18-2007 02:34 AM

Thanks Haratio!!!! ;)

Horatio 03-18-2007 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rookie 4.6
Thanks Haratio!!!! ;)

No worries my old china! :lol:

BradT041 03-18-2007 09:08 PM

One more question, did the savage SS come stock with aluminum diff cases? Because they are on mine and the picture you had did not look like the diff cases on my savage... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Rookie 4.6 03-18-2007 11:55 PM

yes, the savage x ss comes with alloy diffs.... :nod:

Horatio 03-19-2007 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by BradT041
One more question, did the savage SS come stock with aluminum diff cases? Because they are on mine and the picture you had did not look like the diff cases on my savage... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

What Savage is yours? You haven't actually specified. The X SS comes with alloy diff cases as standard. The X comes with plastic diff cases and in some recent versions - a free upgrade pack, that includes free alloy diff cases for a limited time. All the rest, including the Old SS come with plastic/nylon cases.

It's quite possible that your diffs are aftermarket items, so don't get overly confused. Either way, no matter what version you have, they can't go in backwards - no way, no how! :lol:

BradT041 03-19-2007 10:03 PM

Yes I have the SS. And I most certainly did flip the diffs around, and it is no longer going in reverse. I did not take the pinion gear off, I just flipped the pinion gear and shaft around and put the case back together and it's going the right way! :sneaky: