Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
new to r/c and dont even know what i have >

new to r/c and dont even know what i have

new to r/c and dont even know what i have

Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Oil like stuff is because you're way rich. Lean it out some.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

just found out how to do that,ill be trying it a little later,hopefully this works.ill be back...
Old 12-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Start on the TOP end needle(big one), not the bottom.Move the top end needle in hour incraments. think of it as a clock face. I would move it 2 hours and start from there.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

well i put it back up on a stand,got it running,ran good for 5 min,shut down,did it again and dies real quick,did it again and ran great for another 3 to 4 min and shut off again.im about to give up....
Old 12-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

When you said it ran for 4-5 mins, was it idling, or could you get on the gas and rev it?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

the truck idles fine all the time,its only when i pull the throttle,i had it at full throttle for 5 min,backed off,gave it gas,was doing fine,then just died,all this time it starts and idles fine,give it gas,it dies
Old 12-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Well it may pay you to go to a local hobby shop and ask for some help. Or you can pick up a nitro tuning book. It sounds like it may still be rich, are you still getting "oil" coming out of the pipe?If so lean the top end some more.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

if i can find how to take the carb off im going to clean it up,reset all the needles,get a book,and start all over,im just having a hard time getting the carb off.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blazinr/c
i had it at full throttle for 5 min
5 minutes at full throttle is not good on an engine.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah if you had it wide open for 5 mins, that is BAD!!

Shoild be a bolt that runs at the bottom of the neck of the carb, then it should come off,should have an o ring on it.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

i didnt have it wide open for the whole time just pulled the trigger,let it,pull it let go,ran fine,im going to clean everything up,may take a while,couple of days,ill get back to you.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

i think i found my problem,took the carb apart and the idle adjuster needle was broken,im going to get another and put it back together,i cleaned the carb and it was dirty,

Last edited by blazinr/c; 01-17-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

can anyone piont me to the place for a replacement needle for the idle one,my local hobby shop does not have one
Old 01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool

Hey Blazin,

Not sure where you are, I am asumming you are the USA I would try Tower Hobbies, they offer a very good mail order/Online shopping service as well. I also use them as i find there pricing very good on some things compared to Australian Retailers.

Also by your description of the engine it is a Force .21, this will help you identify which model engine although the further numbering codes refer to pull start, On-road or Buggy/Truck egines. I am sure you do a search of Tower Hobbies website you will find your engine list and them will know which spares to order.

With you replacing the needle, I would also suggest stripping down the complete engine, cleaning out any old oil,dirt or anything that might be inside the engine.

Wouldn't hurt to also check over the clutch Bell and clutch shoes make sure they are free of dirt/oil and other rubbish too. Also take note when changing glow Plugs never over tighten the plug as the head is alloy it is easy to strip the threads and this will also effect the engine running and tunning.

Also, You mentioned a couple of times oil coming/smoke out of the pipe, this is normal and should have some amount of it. If not the engine is too lean. Running engines too lean will shorten the overal life of the engine.

Serious racers will lean there engines out allot to gain the most power and perforance, But they are also in the mind that they will end up blowing the engine at some point. Or Shorten its life well before it is due for a rebuild. For a general hobbiest it is better to run a little richer to have the engine last longer.

I run in my on-road 15% Nitro, 18% Oil Blend Fuel. Some truck and larger engine allot of people run 20% Nitro with 18% oil blend. Also please consider how your store your fuel, Keep it out of Direct Sunlight and away from Damp or wet areas.

Nitro Fuel attracts water and moisture so then the fuel becomes useless. I also store mine in a tin fuel container as the plastic bottles are pourous and water works its way into the fuel

Also make sure your air cleaner is on tight with a cable tie and the filter is oil not too much, this will trap the very fine dust partical from entering the engine.

Also when refitting the engine to truck/buggy make sure you mesh the gears correctly and straight, I do this with a piece of paper cut into a strip and fit it between the clutch Bell pinions and spurs gear and squeeze them together and then tighten the engine mount bolts.

When you remove the paper the gears have a nice gap and are meshed nicely. Also use good quality Fuel line and a filter. There are lots of little things you will learn along the way and most of all have fun.

I hope I have helped some, If I have made an error I am sure someone will point it out....

Happy Racing..............

Brat..........................