Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Aftershock won't start >

Aftershock won't start

Aftershock won't start

Old 12-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Aftershock won't start

I am pretty new to this hobby so I bought an Aftershock to get my feet wet. After 5 tanks of gas, I cannot get the truck started. I did convert to spin start as the pull start was becoming a pain. Glow plug meter is green, some gas is coming out of the pipe, adjusted carb back to stock (3 turns out for idle/mixture). It sounds like it wants to go, but never does. The only thing I can see that is different than before is, no matter how much I think it's primed, I never see gas on the glow plug when I remove it. Shouldn't I be able to "flood" the truck? I would think there would be some gas on or around the area where the glow plug inserts. Again, I am total rookie here and appreciate any and all feedback.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi,
Not exactually sure with the aftershock but a really good site to look at would be http://lstforums.com/forums/
Is the engine turning over?

Cheers
Old 12-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Sounds like you have an air leak in the fuel system - check the tank and tubing for holes/leaks. Yes, it should be rather easy to flood the truck. Especially at stock carb settings.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LSTracerX
Sounds like you have an air leak in the fuel system - check the tank and tubing for holes/leaks. Yes, it should be rather easy to flood the truck. Especially at stock carb settings.

I agree, my brothers was fine and then he had the same problem, it was the fuel tank lid, it had a air leak.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

In any nitro engine, if it won't idle, first thing to check is the glow plug/igniter. If the glow plug doesn't glow almost white hot, it is probably one of those. Typically it takes more than 24 hours to fully charge a new glow ignitor the first time.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Physically check the plug for a decent glow. It should glow Orange. If it doesn't, either the glow plug needs replacing (after 5 tanks of running in, it's a good idea to change your glow plug anyway) or the glow ignitor needs re-charging. The Nicad cell in old glo ignitors can often go bad and need replacing. Plugs are catalytic and once the element goes dull looking, really they should be replaced. Don't wait for them to 'blow'. Ensure the heat rating is correct for your engine/fuel.

Check your fuel line going into the carb. If you can see air bubbles in the fuel line, this isn't good. Air has a tendancy to get in through the tank lid seal, holes or tears in the silicon line itself and external fuel filters (if you use them). Air leaks in the engine and carb can also cause starting/idle/general running problems, as well as potentially damaging over-heating issues. The engine back-plate and head screws should be checked periodically.

Once you've changed your glow plug, checked that the lines are good and that fuel is actually getting to your carb, if the engine is still struggling to fire:

1) At 3 turns out on the main needle (High Speed Needle (HSN)), try turing the main needle 1/4 turn clockwise to lean the mixture slightly.

2) You need to ensure that your carb's throttle stop screw (Tickover Screw/Idle Speed Screw) is set correctly, with the correct gap at idle - this is usually very similar on most engines - 1-1.5mm. To set it, remove the airfilter and take a look down the carb's intake at the slide/barrel.

3) Your idle mixture screw, or Low Speed Needle (LSN) should come factory set, but you need to ensure that fuel is getting delivered to your carb. You can blow down a piece of tube into the carb with it in the closed/tickover position - if there is a slight hissing sound, you should be ok. If it's shut off and impossible to blow down the tube, it's likely that the idle screw is shutting off the jet completely at idle. Open this idle mixture screw in small increments until you can hear a slight hiss.

You should be good to go provided that:

You are using good, fresh, fuel with the recommended nitro and oil content. That your 'spin start' is properly charged and spinning the engine fast enough to start.

Nitro engines only need 3 things to run - Air, Fuel and Ignition. Use this as the principle basis for your trouble shooting!! Good luck!!