Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Is the Monster Truck Class Dead? >

Is the Monster Truck Class Dead?

Is the Monster Truck Class Dead?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Default Is the Monster Truck Class Dead?

Hey guys, just wanted to voice a worry of mine. Here in Wisconsin there are a few tracks that separate Truggies from Monster Trucks and a dying few that have Unlimited Monster Truck and Stock Monster Truck.
Look when it comes to Nitro racing the only real class that I can race in is Monster Truck. I don't know why but I REALLY sucked at Buggy and Truggy, well hell I just suck period, but I was able to do quite well in Monster Truck with a Revo.
But I get this feeling as Truggies become more popular I'm afraid that the Monster Truck class might just fade into the sunset.
I hope I'm just being a worry wort but I have this bad feeling.
Please prove me wrong!!!
Sean

Last edited by Truggy1; 08-16-2006 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Because I'm the worst speller in the world :nod:
Old 08-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

its a trend right now for the truggy's from what i can see. once it dies off, everything will even out.

MT's are still in it, but truggy's have dropped a big blanket over the MT class. hell at most of the tracks you are seeing less buggy's, and those classes use to be "the" class to watch or be in.

it all depends whats popular in your area. some areas love MT's and some only care for onroad, some only care for buggies, some only care for 10 scales, its a toss up man.

if you want to be a better driver, jump in the classes to where the bigger entries are. i use to ONLY drive electric when i was stationed at other bases, now that i am in california, the truggy scene is big out here, so i brought a truggy. its all the same fun if you got a allot of people out there with you.

keep the MT and save up and buy a truggy. bring the MT out when you guys get bigger turn outs or bring it out when you go camping, hit the parks, show off to some friends, there are a ton of uses for MT's over truggy's other than just racing. JMHO.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Yah know it sounds like I'm complaining but I think I'm going to get into Buggy next year and try my hand at that. I think I jsut need a ton more track time that's for sure.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

hey
Old 08-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Old 08-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

What was that all about????
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default true

It's true Truggy1 that the MT class has suffered since the arrival of the truggy, hell the buggy class has aslo suffered a bit. But, IMO it's a phase and It will pass. I have all 3 so I can run whatever I want come raceday. My way is not the least expensive way but, at least I can choose what I want to run come race time. Also, it takes tons of track time to become a good driver with buggy,truggy, and MT. They are all different and handle different. But, i still think as long as there are hardcore monster truckers and bashers out there there will be a MT class on raceday, and who does'nt love to bash sometimes? Just my $.02 worth
Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the monster truck class has yet to die nor do I think it will. I, however, do not think that the "truggy" class is a fad, they are WAY easier to drive, and a little faster, and more adjustable. I do not see ther monster truck class dieing, as the bulk of newer racers buy the monster truck because they are less expensive over all than a "truggy" and there are always going to be new MT racers.
Rod
Old 08-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The MT class won't die as long as they sell RTR kits, (Maxx, Revo, LST/2, Savage, etc..), but the Truggy class is here to stay and will soon be the dominent class everywhere. They are easy to drive, very fast (faster than buggy in most places) and are more fun.

As for price, I think most will jump into a RTR MT first thinking it will be cheaper. But after a few hard days of bashing and/or racing, I'm willing to bet that most MT guys will have more money in their trucks than most guys with a truggy. With a truggy, you have the price of the kit, motor, pipe and electronics. But after that, you're dealing with a high-end race kit that is much more durable and cheaper to fix. I've seen guys at the track with a T-maxx's and Revo's with over $1,500-2,000 in them and still break several times. The durability and handling of a truggy is what will make many MT racers switch after spending some good time at the track watching them.

I have a MBX5 and MBX5T, but I do miss the T-Maxx every now and then. It just looks so much cooler. Especially with a truck body. I really dislike the typical crowdpleaser looking bodies on most truggies, but that's what fits them well and lasts longer for racing. But I'd love to see a truggy with a pickup truck body on it.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Funny, but when I mentioned this issue a year ago on another board, everyone seemed to think I was crazy.

One of the bigger problems at our club (that was not mentioned by Tony) is that MT has turned into the novice class. New racers usually show up with an MT, then combine that with what Tony has said, and you get a recipe for disaster. I am sure it is pretty easy to get turned off on racing when you realize that you need to put $500 or more into your truck to keep it from breaking every race. I haven't raced my MT in a while now. I usually only get to race it in a series race.

MT is still my favorite class to run. There is just something about the challenge of getting a high COG truck around the track fast. I'll continue to race the class as long as it is around. Hopefully, for a long time to come.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LSTracerX
Funny, but when I mentioned this issue a year ago on another board, everyone seemed to think I was crazy.

One of the bigger problems at our club (that was not mentioned by Tony) is that MT has turned into the novice class. New racers usually show up with an MT, then combine that with what Tony has said, and you get a recipe for disaster. I am sure it is pretty easy to get turned off on racing when you realize that you need to put $500 or more into your truck to keep it from breaking every race. I haven't raced my MT in a while now. I usually only get to race it in a series race.

MT is still my favorite class to run. There is just something about the challenge of getting a high COG truck around the track fast. I'll continue to race the class as long as it is around. Hopefully, for a long time to come.

I second that. The modifications to supention on the Revo is a ton of fun. I loveed working on my Savage X and miss it entirely too much. I like Nitor racing a lot and was never a really big fan until I started racing MT. I like Truggies and all but I think that I'll be racing MT for a long time coming!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default truggys faster than buggys

Truggys faster than buggys? Is somebody on crack? no way a truggy is faster than buggys! NO WAY! Agreed truggys are fun to drive and are faster than conventional MT's but there is not a vehicle on the planet that is faster, and handles better off-road than a well setup buggy! IMO! There will always be MT classes, and buggy classes, and I think truggy classes so no love is lost there! I certainly hope so, I do enjoy running all of the classes!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

on most of the tracks that I run, in the NCT at least, the buggy times and truggy times are pretty close, and the electric 4mod class is always very close, lap time wise, with both of the 1/8 classes.

-- 1/8th Stadium Truck - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 50 30:31.03 Marcus Neuspeed
-- 1/8 Buggy Pro - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 50 30:19.95 Chris Bridgewater
-- 1/8th Stadium Truck - D Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 2 9 5:33.09 Shane Preugschat
-- 1/8 Buggy Pro - D Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 2 9 5:07.37 Marcus Anzivino
-- 4WD Modified Buggy - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 9 5:23.03 Tony Corless
2 2 9 5:23.42 Mike Dana
all taken from the Last NCT race. I know for sure that the 1/8ST winner fininshed the last 2 or 3 laps about half speed with a blown front diff. so the times are comaparable, and this was on a track with a long straight into a high speed long sweeper. It is similar timewise to most of the other NCT events.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Wow those are some really close times!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigcod r/c
Truggys faster than buggys? Is somebody on crack? no way a truggy is faster than buggys! NO WAY! Agreed truggys are fun to drive and are faster than conventional MT's but there is not a vehicle on the planet that is faster, and handles better off-road than a well setup buggy! IMO! There will always be MT classes, and buggy classes, and I think truggy classes so no love is lost there! I certainly hope so, I do enjoy running all of the classes!
If you go to any decent sized track you'll see that the truggys are faster than buggys. Perfect example was last years SiverState race. Jared Tebo won the 1/8th A-main with a Kyosho 777. While he was on the Kyosho team last year, he was untouchable, nearly winning every big race he entered in 1/8th scale buggy. But if you look at Hara's finish in the UMT A-main, had he ran the same number of minutes with his LSP, he would have LAPPED Tebo in the buggy. Not taking anything away from Hara as he is an awesome driver, nor taking anything away from the LSP, but the new Kyosho ST-R and Mugen MBX5T are leaps and bounds better than the LSP he ran at last year's SilverState race (both new trucks didn't exist then and the Mugen team had the MSR conversion and it was their first outing with it).

On a smaller, tight track, sure the buggies will have an advantage. But I've also seen 4WD 1/10th electric buggies smoke an 1/8th scale nitro buggies lap times on a small track too. Perfect example was the CRCRC race in Ohio this past January. After a long 3-day weekend of practice, qualifying and mains, only Adam Drake and Ryan Lutz turned a 17.8 second lap (only ONCE) the entire time. The 4WD electrics were turning low 17's the week before on the same track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service