Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
which truck should i get >

which truck should i get

which truck should i get

Old 07-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would say get a Revo, for a few reasons, first off, you are familiar with Traxxas products, and obviously parts support is around. secondly, anyone can take a revo and race it well. THe revo has plenty of uumph to do back flips. If you are going to bash, The Tmaxx is also a good truck. I even race mine, but it has a TON of upgrades. The T-Maxx is, or was, the best selling monster truck, for 11+ years. They are not super weak, the only time I really broke anything on mine was when I hit stuff that I shouldn't have. There is a guy that races a savage, and when he is on, he is on, but it is not nearly as fast as my tmaxx, and I have a 6 gallon old stock 2.5. I think it is due to cornering ability over engine power cause he has a big engine in it. Everyone that I know that has a savage loves it cause they bash, and you can bash the savage hard and put her away wet. The LST2, have not seen many of these racing, I know alot of racers that won't get an LST2 because the LST left such a sour taste in thier mouth from constantly breaking stuff on thier LST for no apparent reason, other than it broke. Not to familiar with the MGT, but I have heard good stuff about it.
The Losi Trucks and the Savage and MGT are all big blocks, so that might be what you are looking for. The new Losi Aftershock is priced less expensively, but is supposed to be better than teh LST was, but I have yet to see one in action.
HTH
Rod
Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

yah i like the idea of a big block engine is there anyway to put a big block in a revo if so what engine
Old 07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

ok savage people not trying to dis on savage people but whats so great about the savage is it the weak engines they come with or is it the weak drive shafts or the pullstarts that barley ever work or last or the awsome plastic shock bodys or the nice radio and elctronics they come or the sweet chassis design i myself have ownd 2 i know all trucks have problems but the savage has the most now if you are wondering what to get id say an lst 2 or revo or mgt.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

^not to diss the Revo owners or anything but whats so great about the revo? is it its $20 electronics or its impossible to tune engine made out of crappy materials that cant run at consistant IF they make it through break-in or is it the plastic, oversize axels/driveshafts, is it their thin, long suspension arms or its plastic body shocks, or its overely complicated design? it could also be its heavy, starting system that has trouble lighting glowplugs.......

plastic bodied shocks are NO different in performance in comparison to aluminum. and if there is it istn worth paying 4x the price to get them.

the Savage 21 is the only truck with a 'weak' engine, in comparison to its competitors. the S-25, F4.1, and K4.6 are all very powerful engine's and much easier to break-in and tune then a TRX could ever dream of.

wanna drop a big block into a revo or a maxx and see what happens to its drivetrain???

the Savage Chassis design allows it to run fullspeed into a tree and not blow to peices. ive done it several times before, also street signs....dogs.....decks......4x4 fence posts......a t-maxx. never broke my Savage 25 (in 4 years) and cracked a suspension arm on my X. wanna try this with.....any other truck on the market? didnt think so...

pullstarters that barely ever work? maybe you should do some work so you could pull it a little better.

the radio and electronics outclass the revo's. no questions asked. the LST obviously has the best radio.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah i don't know what ur talkin about the savage is great, demelition derby i'll cream u. that revo don't have achance againsed my savage. and if u ever dropped a big block into a little revo the motor will break the truck. i hve both but i prefer my savage
Old 07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dracy69
^not to diss the Revo owners or anything but whats so great about the revo? is it its $20 electronics or its impossible to tune engine made out of crappy materials that cant run at consistant IF they make it through break-in or is it the plastic, oversize axels/driveshafts, is it their thin, long suspension arms or its plastic body shocks, or its overely complicated design? it could also be its heavy, starting system that has trouble lighting glowplugs.......

plastic bodied shocks are NO different in performance in comparison to aluminum. and if there is it istn worth paying 4x the price to get them.

the Savage 21 is the only truck with a 'weak' engine, in comparison to its competitors. the S-25, F4.1, and K4.6 are all very powerful engine's and much easier to break-in and tune then a TRX could ever dream of.

wanna drop a big block into a revo or a maxx and see what happens to its drivetrain???

the Savage Chassis design allows it to run fullspeed into a tree and not blow to peices. ive done it several times before, also street signs....dogs.....decks......4x4 fence posts......a t-maxx. never broke my Savage 25 (in 4 years) and cracked a suspension arm on my X. wanna try this with.....any other truck on the market? didnt think so...

pullstarters that barely ever work? maybe you should do some work so you could pull it a little better.

the radio and electronics outclass the revo's. no questions asked. the LST obviously has the best radio.
so thats why savages never tq oh and you cant tune engines if you cant even tune a 3.3 so for one you have no expereince and 2 you dont even own a revo
Old 07-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Tech Initiate

revos aren't bad there just meant for racing. also all trucks have there pro's and con's. but like i said i just prefer my savage
Old 07-28-2006, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

dear dracy69,
Just my personal opin. but if you hit all that stuff with your trucks then maybe your in the wrong hobby.

How come everytime someone wants to know what trucks would be best for them you guys turn it into a pissing contest. Every freaking thread that gets started about someone wanting to start the hobby you guys turn it into the a freaking pissing contest. Im getting to the point with these savage owners that for now on i when i see a savage going across a parking lot or in a field gonna run it over with my Jeep. Then we will see if the little f*cker will still run. Like i said before i run my maxx with 2 savages and we all bash just as hard, and all of us have down time. EVERY TRUCK HAS ITS UPS AND DOWNS. A friend of mine is selling his savage 4.6 and i was thinking of buying it. But now since owning a savage makes you think you d!ck grew 12" i dont wanna even touch the thing!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

As you can see in my video of our first ram.. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/140117/nitro_rc/ both that savage and my maxx got banged up. the savage had bent the roll bar and my maxx just bent one shock shaft.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

hey duffman that was sweet
ok guys i have one final question which trucks parts cost more and if i got a savage which one should i get
Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

LST2, Savage X, Savage 4.6 have a chunky, burly quality about them that appeals to many. Revo is a lighter, lower nimbler machine that certainly makes it more competitive for certain tracks, so appeals to a totally different mindset.

Anything can be raced. It doesn't mean you're going to be a winner. Mach 51 hit the nail on the head. I'd like to add that any machine, in the wrong hands, can be made to lool like a lemon.

I had a couple of really good seasons with my Savage. Out of the box, my Savage SS simply wasn't competitive, so sure I added aftermarket parts. Then it worked very well on the tracks I raced it - just 2-3secs per lap adrift from the quickest 1/8th buggies. With LCG TVP's and a midtank mod, I reckon it would be faster still. I TQ'd numerous times with mine as it was. Fairplay to HPI addressing all the issues that came to light, continually updating existing kits and bringing out numerous new versions, including the X.

As for working on different machines, well older Savages had diffs that were difficult to access. Not so with the X. Having said that, the diffs on mine, once modified, hardly ever required attention anyway. TVP's require a different approach, but basically Savages are modular in design and can be stripped into front, centre and rear sections in a matter of minutes.

MGT's make excellent racing MT's and handle very well. Servo access was tricky on one of my mates machines and the engine wasn't much good.

Tmaxx's handle well when properly set up, but don't have the same degree of punch compared to modern MT's. Reliability issues are my main concerns with Tmaxx's since none of the ones that I worked with were free of glitches.

Revos are very nicely designed and there is no doubt about their competitive potential. The 3.3 is obviously the machine of choice if you're after a Traxxas MT. For the tracks I raced at, Revos needed a fair amount of setting up and different springs/rockers as well as revised gearing to get on the pace. The older 2.5 engine simply wasn't competitive either.

The bad attitudes present here, quite frankly, are beyond a joke. All these same guys ranting continuously over 'all Savage owners are ****' or 'all Traxxas drivers are ****' really need to take a chill-pill and get out more.

You guys need to realise that people could read this kind of crap and think 'Nah, RC is not for me - I think I'll take up fishing instead.'!!!

Old 07-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Horatio
LST2, Savage X, Savage 4.6 have a chunky, burly quality about them that appeals to many. Revo is a lighter, lower nimbler machine that certainly makes it more competitive for certain tracks, so appeals to a totally different mindset.

Anything can be raced. It doesn't mean you're going to be a winner. Mach 51 hit the nail on the head. I'd like to add that any machine, in the wrong hands, can be made to lool like a lemon.

I had a couple of really good seasons with my Savage. Out of the box, my Savage SS simply wasn't competitive, so sure I added aftermarket parts. Then it worked very well on the tracks I raced it - just 2-3secs per lap adrift from the quickest 1/8th buggies. With LCG TVP's and a midtank mod, I reckon it would be faster still. I TQ'd numerous times with mine as it was. Fairplay to HPI addressing all the issues that came to light, continually updating existing kits and bringing out numerous new versions, including the X.

As for working on different machines, well older Savages had diffs that were difficult to access. Not so with the X. Having said that, the diffs on mine, once modified, hardly ever required attention anyway. TVP's require a different approach, but basically Savages are modular in design and can be stripped into front, centre and rear sections in a matter of minutes.

MGT's make excellent racing MT's and handle very well. Servo access was tricky on one of my mates machines and the engine wasn't much good.

Tmaxx's handle well when properly set up, but don't have the same degree of punch compared to modern MT's. Reliability issues are my main concerns with Tmaxx's since none of the ones that I worked with were free of glitches.

Revos are very nicely designed and there is no doubt about their competitive potential. The 3.3 is obviously the machine of choice if you're after a Traxxas MT. For the tracks I raced at, Revos needed a fair amount of setting up and different springs/rockers as well as revised gearing to get on the pace. The older 2.5 engine simply wasn't competitive either.

The bad attitudes present here, quite frankly, are beyond a joke. All these same guys ranting continuously over 'all Savage owners are ****' or 'all Traxxas drivers are ****' really need to take a chill-pill and get out more.

You guys need to realise that people could read this kind of crap and think 'Nah, RC is not for me - I think I'll take up fishing instead.'!!!

couldnt have said it better myself horatio!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

and you cant forget the Savage 3.5, but i dont think its in the us yet
Old 07-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duffman1977
dear dracy69,
Just my personal opin. but if you hit all that stuff with your trucks then maybe your in the wrong hobby.

How come everytime someone wants to know what trucks would be best for them you guys turn it into a pissing contest. Every freaking thread that gets started about someone wanting to start the hobby you guys turn it into the a freaking pissing contest. Im getting to the point with these savage owners that for now on i when i see a savage going across a parking lot or in a field gonna run it over with my Jeep. Then we will see if the little f*cker will still run. Like i said before i run my maxx with 2 savages and we all bash just as hard, and all of us have down time. EVERY TRUCK HAS ITS UPS AND DOWNS. A friend of mine is selling his savage 4.6 and i was thinking of buying it. But now since owning a savage makes you think you d!ck grew 12" i dont wanna even touch the thing!
first of all, thats guessing on the stuff ive hit over the past 4 years. i bash hard and i bash alot. hitting stuff is ineviteable.

i dont see why you are targeting savage owners. the only really bad one is PSO (and i apologize to PSO but he had to be pointed out) i didnt say something completely mindless just trying to diss or one up the traxxas or losi guys. i just counter the bullcrap they fling around.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Thank you horatio..
Just because someone has trouble with a truck doesnt mean that the truck is just pure crap. Everyone drives different and then you have to take in the weather for that area and everything. As you noticed in all my post i never downed a single truck. Ppl just need to calm down and enjoy the love of the hobby. I have had many different cars and trucks but i prefer traxxas so i went back with them and got a Tmaxx. Not saying the others were crap i just like traxxas, my lhs is real big on traxxas and the tech support they have works for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.