Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MGT vs SAVAGE X

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

I drove both

MGTs are WAY WAY WAY to under rated... they flat out rock! handle amazing, fast and more all stock... but savage is stronger and can take more of a beating

when i drove a mgt 4.6 for over half a hour all i borke was the real body mount and destroyed a jeep body.. but it is amazing!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

i bought thunder tiger mta4 s28 same truck as mgt and i well happy with it . went to my first race meeting last week and came third only beaten by another mta in 2nd and a revo in 1st . nothing broken at all even after some big mistakes off jumps .one of guys at meeting had a savage and he had problems with his two speed i dont know if that is common on those trucks or not .i fitted proline 40 wheels and bowtie tyres on my truck and dropped the clutch bell gear one tooth and it seems to handle real good to me .but i am new to this so can only comment on what i seen so far .and they are cheap for parts too .
Old 08-11-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

the MGT/MTA4 is the better truck overall, easier to work on, cheaper parts. also is BIGGER!! ive bashed the hell out of my MGT and savage, both are tough cookies but there are issues with the savage, diffs and shocks bending. the mgt transmission is tougher IMHO.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

If it is for bashing, why look any further than a Savage X, the simple design is freakin awesome, I mean what could break? haha
Old 08-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Rookie

My E-maxx was run over by a tahoe Z71 and I broke a steering knuckle and bent a shock shaft. The T and E-maxx have the same suspension.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if your implying a t-maxx is tougher then a Savage you are very wrong
Old 08-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Tech Rookie

hear is a pic of my mgt it is a very durable truck i have only put rpm suspention arms on it and a 3.8 hp XTM .28 pro 6 port engine on it i have to say that is is one of my favrote trucks out there (only prob is that you may want to mod the front end of the truck to make it turn sharper)
and it is very fun to race

Old 08-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default savage

Don't compare the old savages to the MGT in terms of being easier to work on cause theyre not. I have a savage 25 and a savage X. But, there is no way the MGT is easier to wrench on than the savage X! Period. HPI has made every effort to make the X the easiest truck to maintain in the history of savages. But also make no mistake that any savage is by far the toughest overall truck for bashing on the market. MGT is a nice truck, had one and got shed of it, still got 2 savages though! Savage wins hands down.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

I agree that the savage X is easy to work on, but the older savages are a pain in the ass to work on compared to the MGT. Im now selling my savage as im finding the little problems with it annoying. like them chewing up spurs if you bash heavy. And of course with the old savage you have to take the rear skid off, take the engine out etc. MGT still has its orginal spur and even if i do have to replace it then i just have to loosen 4 screws and undo the slipper itself. Im not saying the savage is crap, if he's got the choice of the savage X then yea go for that but i wouldnt choose a older savage other a MGT.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default ??

uuuhhhh...eeeemmmm......eeeerrrr.. I think that is exactly what i just said.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Tech Rookie

ok i have a savage and an mgt i would way rather have the mgt more power over all and way easer to work on.My savage has some stuff on it like 23mm hexes 40 series bow ties and a bell crank stering system it would be good if it had a new engine but the stock ones are crap they have no power and i have striped out 2 button heads on it.I just got my mgt and i love it it has tons of power and starts on the first turn over.I put better servos and the 23mm hexes and bow ties from the savage on it and it is great.Ready to race
so i suggest you go with the mgt it is all round better
Old 08-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mgtkid
ok i have a savage and an mgt i would way rather have the mgt more power over all and way easer to work on.My savage has some stuff on it like 23mm hexes 40 series bow ties and a bell crank stering system it would be good if it had a new engine but the stock ones are crap they have no power and i have striped out 2 button heads on it.I just got my mgt and i love it it has tons of power and starts on the first turn over.I put better servos and the 23mm hexes and bow ties from the savage on it and it is great.Ready to race
so i suggest you go with the mgt it is all round better
very good point u forgot the fact that there pull starts suck
Old 08-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

i agree aswell. the S-25 is one crappy engine. ive now got the F4.1 in my savage which is a tougher s25. its still got nothing compared to the thunder tiger 28 pro though.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

S-25 a crappy engine? ok it cant pull up the front tires on demand but it is by no means a crappy engine. It is a very reliable, easy to tune, long lasting engine. It is an awesome RTR engine. if you want power your supposed to get and SS kit with a K4.6 and a tuned pipe.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

i found it didnt last very long, i only got 3 gallons out of it and that was always running it slightly rich. My MGT 21 has just had it 5th gallon through and its going like the day i got it. The thunder tiger engines are reknown for their long lasting perfroamance. The hpi engines are not known to be the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.