Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
WHEELIE question on my savage 4.6... > WHEELIE question on my savage 4.6...

WHEELIE question on my savage 4.6...

Old 06-24-2006, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default WHEELIE question on my savage 4.6...

any tips on how to do wheelies on command even on cement using bow tie tires?
i recently got my 4.6 savage. even got a wheelie bar. this beast is really strong and fast and i'm enjoying it. i'm more of a basher, never raced...but probably will try racing soon.
i changed the clutch bell to 15T to make it torquey. and did some tuning on the fuel mixture. when i tried to do a wheelie on concrete, it slips. my friend told me to change tires to proline road rage to get grip. but another guy told me that i need to do some setting with my differential. he said i need to make it thick. i'm new to the MT scene and i dunno what he was talking about.

your tips would make my enjoyment complete.
thanks!
Old 06-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

the stock k4.6 wont pop wheelies......i scrapped mine and shoved in my old thunder tiger pro21bxr....17/49 gearing and i pop wheelies all over the place.....even with quad vehicle tvps and mid tank mod and everything.....and i got worn out old dirtbonz.....even on loose dirt i can pop wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelies
Old 06-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...ture049avi.flv
Old 06-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Any truck will do wheelies with the correct setup.

I am not very familiar with the savvage, however if it does not have a center diff it should be very easy. If it does have a center diff then fill it with silly puddy. Now, go out and buy the lightest shocks you can for the truck and mount them in the rear. If you are racing and bashing then I recomend you use one set of tires for the street and bashing and then use the others at the track. Tires are expensive, but the right tire @ the right track realy pays off. The light shocks in the rear will allow all of the weight of the truck to transfer to the rear which will make the truck wheelie.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Tech Adept

proudsavageownr... your 4.6 is loaded man. what are the essentials just to make it wheelie all over the place?

party wagon...thanks man. maybe that.s what the other guy was trying to tell me to thicken my diff.

i dont want to spend too much on mods. maybe little by little. just the essentials to do the trick. thanks.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

I know it sounds not right but its the way it is with the savage and high power engines"you need to get the slipper tight"!

Right gearing 15/49 should be ok,you have that now right?

Oh and the tune offcourse,you need to have the low end right,thats the lsn setting.If its to rich its gonna be sluggish of the lines!

EDIT if this not works get some alu shoes and 1.0 or 1.1 springs on the clutch and lol it should wheelie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the stock cb/spur combo shud lift the front up, no problem with the stock 4.6 engine. that of coz as pitbull said, proper tuning of the LSN. if its too rich... no sireee, it wont lift the front wheels up.
next the Clutch setup. check that also. make sure the carbon clutch(black) is not "glazed". easy fix, scrap with scotch brite(the thing we use for cleaning dishes)
for the diff ... savage dont have center diff..so no problem there. its instant power to the rear. yes even with the stock grease inside, it still can wheelie.
so, next, the tires maybe. the stock tire can grip on cement, no problem.
so back to your tuning again.
if all these doesn't work. well mate, good luck.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by toadstool
proudsavageownr... your 4.6 is loaded man. what are the essentials just to make it wheelie all over the place?

party wagon...thanks man. maybe that.s what the other guy was trying to tell me to thicken my diff.

i dont want to spend too much on mods. maybe little by little. just the essentials to do the trick. thanks.

its all in the clutch man....im using the stock clutch that came with the truck for the last 7 months...and thats wat has gotten me to the crazy wheelie sceme....take off your engine and take the clutchbell off.....get an xacto knife or a blade and cut a criss cross pattern in your clutch shoes all over the place to make em sorta "rough"....now run the run for a few tanks and take the engine off again.....the lines should be gone...if not gone completely they should be hardly seen....now do wat u did again and run it abit more....u will notice that the acceleration off the line is improving because the clutch shoes are lighter and the engine engages at a slightly higher RPM than before...and then the wheelies will start to appear....trust me this worked for me and the clutch keeps getting better and better the more i run it.....use the stock springs and i would try 17/49 gearing....stock is 17/47 wich is ok but will overheat the clutchbell if its not vented.....and watever u do DO NOT use alloy clutch shoes....there no good for wheelies and will overheat the clutchbell....

the diff oil dosnt matter...the thinner the oil the longer the wheelie untill it starts to hop around on the rear wheels....i got 30000 diff fluid front n back and i got no problems doing wheelies.....and with the stock diff grease i could control the wheelie abit more...

dont forget the engine plays a big roll in thewheelies aswell......as i said my k4.6 was a shitbox....i scrapped it for the .21 that was in my dragster and i never regreted it.....and i realised if the low end on the engine is richer the wheelies are easier to pop....seriously
Old 06-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

toads tune your truck better and hit the gas. my savage 25 did wheelies for me. and my savage x does wheelies a little too much

tuning comes with experience so just keep trying. PSO unfortunately couldnt tune his k4.6
Old 06-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dracy69
toads tune your truck better and hit the gas. my savage 25 did wheelies for me. and my savage x does wheelies a little too much

tuning comes with experience so just keep trying. PSO unfortunately couldnt tune his k4.6
well PSO ...
Old 06-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

It's the tires, try something without spikes. I really like the new HPI Dirt Claws or Aggressors for bashing. The engine has plenty of power to pull wheelies at will. I was at the Monster Jam in San Bernardino tonite running a Savage X with a 4.6 geared at 17/47 and could not keep the front wheels on the ground.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jfc_tech
well PSO ...
err kinda......thats pretty much y i scrapped it..lol its still on my shelf....still runs....i just cant tune the dam thing......if som1 wants it i got no probs with trading it....PM me if u wana trade anything for it
Old 06-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ProudSavageOwnr
the stock k4.6 wont pop wheelies......i scrapped mine and shoved in my old thunder tiger pro21bxr....17/49 gearing and i pop wheelies all over the place.....even with quad vehicle tvps and mid tank mod and everything.....and i got worn out old dirtbonz.....even on loose dirt i can pop wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelies

I don't know what is wrong with your 4.6, but I cant keep my front end down on the straightaways, even with a wing. My T-maxx is the only MT I have that is very inconsistant with wheelies.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Springs are dirt cheap. Go to your lhs and order the softest springs they make for the rear, they should be under $10 for the springs. From the sounds of things, the truck doesn't have a center diff so that is all you should need. Also adjust the ride height so that the truck sits up high.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

softer springs make the truck harder to do wheelies.....just so ya know. get harder springs or just put preload spacers in it and the front end wont stay on the ground.

Last edited by dracy69; 06-26-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service