Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
USA-1 VE question! Pls advise >

USA-1 VE question! Pls advise

USA-1 VE question! Pls advise

Old 01-21-2024, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default USA-1 VE question! Pls advise

Just ordered a USA-1 and a set of proline wheel/tires and may need to find some 17mm hubs with an offset to compensate for the loss of the factory deep dish wheels. Don't know if it will be necessary but if it is, what should I buy?
Are 1/8 axle sizes universal or standard in the RC world?

I found these but was hoping for a 15mm offset.
https://www.absolutehobbyz.com/kyosh...n-metal-4.html

Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2024, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Did you order a new USA-1? So it comes with all the stock / factory wheels and tires?

What are you trying to fix / solve?

I have a USA-1 VE and it required all kinds of work to get it to run reliably (easily 2x the purchase price in expensive parts) but the one part that was a-ok stock was the wheel and tire package.

Canít help with your specific question because I havenít had to replace the wheels or tiresÖ

But yes 1/8 rigs generally do have a standard 8mm axle so usually all you need to worry about is the offset (ie width). I have mixed and matched hubs from many different manufacturers and rarely had problems (once in a while you might have a clearance issue where the axle pin goes in for whatever reason but in my experience that doesnít happen often).

Old 01-21-2024, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

bought a roller off ebay... didn't want the RTR electronics but it did not come with wheels or body.

Ordered a set of Masher X HP wheels and tires and the offset on the rim is nowhere close to the wheels that are originally on the truck. The narrow setup might be fine, it might rub things, it might have weird handling characteristics. I won't really know until I start putting it together.
I also see that I'm gonna need 17mm - 24mm adapters.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks smirk! After doing some more research I pulled the trigger on some 24mm adapters for the Kraton Outcast... Axles seem to be the same size. We'll see!
Old 01-22-2024, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

Share some pics if you can. Would be fun to see what you are building. Once I get mine fixed up and running Iíll try to post a few as well. Going to try to triangulate mine and get rid of the panhard bars.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Will do! Probably won't be anything too crazy... just good electronics and the Vitavon axle mount kit. Want to try to keep it reliable to bash around and pop some curbs.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Brokenparts
Will do! Probably won't be anything too crazy... just good electronics and the Vitavon axle mount kit. Want to try to keep it reliable to bash around and pop some curbs.
The vitavon axle is poor quality. Many people complain about the assembly. Nothing wrong with the stock units. How's that center diff working out?????? I too plan on triangulating the links but will make my own parts as a kit is not available.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

I'm just grabbing the axle mount kit from vitavon for the steering servo (stock looks flimsy) but yea, agree that it looks kind of cheesy... there isn't a huge after-market for the USA-1 so had to grab what I could find. Don't plan on running a center diff but I do kind of share smirks curiosity about the subject. Haven't put any thought into the suspension setup yet! still waiting on all the parts to arrive, just received the truck today and the shocks are leaking oil

It's going to be an adventure for sure

Last edited by Brokenparts; 01-25-2024 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

The vitavon steering axle kit has no servo saver. I have had no problems my nitro truck with the steering. You will need to upgrade the drive shafts as the VE will destroy them fast.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Vitavon steering was tricky for me. The servo ends up being very close to the panhard bar. I had to use a small (and weak) servo saver because the beefy aluminum servo savers would not fit (say, a treal servo saver for the LMT). I even had to shim out the panhard bar a good 15mm or more to get enough clearance for the small servo saver. This is why I'm interested in triangulating the links (which Kevin Hetmanski, who designed the LMT, also did to his Kyosho Mad Crusher). Then you can ditch the panhard bars.

Old 01-26-2024, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by smirkracing
Vitavon steering was tricky for me. The servo ends up being very close to the panhard bar. I had to use a small (and weak) servo saver because the beefy aluminum servo savers would not fit (say, a treal servo saver for the LMT). I even had to shim out the panhard bar a good 15mm or more to get enough clearance for the small servo saver. This is why I'm interested in triangulating the links (which Kevin Hetmanski, who designed the LMT, also did to his Kyosho Mad Crusher). Then you can ditch the panhard bars.
Only good servo saver I use is the Kimbrough gas servo saver( black.) The whole vitavon steering setup is bad. I agree it hits the panhard bar. Bad design.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Picked up the REEFS RC HD servo saver... still waiting on things to get here. Sounds like its going to hit the bar :/
Old 01-27-2024, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Can you mount the servo mount the other direction facing inside? The mounts I designed and yet to make work fine with the servo facing in. One steering rod is straight, and the other is bent over and clearance for the diff.