Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TonyM286
  • 1 Post By TonyM286

1717 at full capacity?

Old 06-09-2021, 05:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1717 at full capacity?

Hi guys i have a 1717 castle which had incredible torque. I sent it to a guy, (dody in the end, John Kelly) who put it in a Thunder tiger mt4, and with 19/44 gearing, it doesnt even mono let alone flip like it used to in its old car. It takes a few good seconds for it to take off and gain good speed. To me that doesnt seem right. I thought it would backflip still or at least take off like hell. I dropped it to 17/44 gearing, and it still doesnt even mono on 6s. Do you guys think the motor has been damaged. What gearing should the 1717 be able to make a thunder tiger mt4 flip.?
Is there a way to know if its damaged?
Thanks any help appreciated.
BTW is this an American Site or world wide??
Thank you.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Same ESC? Batteries?

Hello,

Hope you are well.

Is the motor using the same ESC that you used with the 1717? Sounds like it could be his punch settings could be different in his ESC. Does he have a program card for the ESC he is using to setup the punch and acceleration settings? Is the ESC the same amperage as the one you were using? How about the batteries C rating? A 100C discharge rating battery will have way more punch than a 20c discharge rate battery. Lot of variables here.

Later,

Tony

Originally Posted by DAMO33 View Post
Hi guys i have a 1717 castle which had incredible torque. I sent it to a guy, (dody in the end, John Kelly) who put it in a Thunder tiger mt4, and with 19/44 gearing, it doesnt even mono let alone flip like it used to in its old car. It takes a few good seconds for it to take off and gain good speed. To me that doesnt seem right. I thought it would backflip still or at least take off like hell. I dropped it to 17/44 gearing, and it still doesnt even mono on 6s. Do you guys think the motor has been damaged. What gearing should the 1717 be able to make a thunder tiger mt4 flip.?
Thank you.
DAMO33 likes this.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Stock Gearing for MT4 G3

Hello,

Hope you are well.

Is this a MT4 G3? If so the stock gearing was a 50T spur gear with a 12T pinion gear. Optional spur was 48T and optional pinion was 13T. Could try going back to stock gearing if he still has the parts, and then move on from there.

This rig is also equipped with front/center/rear differentials, could be bleeding all power to the front wheels if there is not a thick enough fluid in the center differential. Check the center differential fluid, add at least 100,000 weight in it if you want more power to the back wheels.

Was your 1717 in a 3 differential vehicle before, or one with a slipper clutch? Slipper clutch vehicles wheelie much easier. I am guessing that mono is Australian for a wheelie (front tires off of ground).

Lots of things to check.

Later,

Tony

Thank you.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi thanks mate, no i always used a mamba monstor esc, the one he sent it back with shit itself, (I paid for an x01 - speedy but got an old mm speedy,) so i put a new one in and didnt change any settings . The Battery was a very expensive one, a 4000mah 65c Gens Ace, top brand. It just seemed like it struggled to push the extra gear.
Yet you can gear the vorza 19/44 and it will still take off pretty well, and this 1717 has WAY MORE torque so I just dont know. I dont know how to test if its at full power or if something is wrong. Anyway thanks for your help. I have ordered a X01 esc, (The one the 1717 is used with in the X01, much bigger capacitors and higher amps.)
There is no room to fit it in the thundertiger, so i may think of getting the Arrma Kraton 1/8 EXB EXtreme Bash Roller if the motor and speedy fits into that..
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:58 AM
Tech Initiate

The whole idea of buing an extremely high torque motor is that it can push a much higher gearing, if i went back down to that gearing id have no speed with the 1580 kw id be better off with the castle 2200.
BTW yes it is the MT4 G3, and im having trouble buying a body to fit. He was supposed to buy some bulldog body that i paid for but didnt.
Im using a mm2 esc brand new and a Gens ace 4000mah 65c battery which is very powerful.. Im sure it should be taking off way way harder than it is..
BTW i ended up locking the centre diff, but it was backflipping before that.
Thanks mate. Yeah Mono is Wheelie lol. Good ol Straya Slang like get me flamin Shiela to throw a snag on the barby lol
Old 06-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Don't know...

With that motor and a locked center diff, it should have the performance you are looking for. Not sure where the power is going, unless it is just ESC settings messing it up. Can you put the motor back in its old truck to test it? See if same as you remember? Have to start eliminating things one at a time in isolation.

Later,

Tony

P.S. I have been to Australia twice when in the Navy. We circumnavigated Australia twice. Been to Sydney, Perth, Darwin, and Townsville each twice. Took an Adelaide river cruise to feed the Crocs, was amazing. Took 2 diving tours when in Townsville to the Great Barrier Reef, saw Giant Clams...was amazing. Those were the first dive tours where I was truly afraid I was going to get eaten by a Great White...lol. Had to swim 200 yards in open water from where the boat anchored to the reef... Visited Canberra once on one of the Sydney visits, beautiful capital. Loved visiting your country.

The whole idea of buing an extremely high torque motor is that it can push a much higher gearing, if i went back down to that gearing id have no speed with the 1580 kw id be better off with the castle 2200.
BTW yes it is the MT4 G3, and im having trouble buying a body to fit. He was supposed to buy some bulldog body that i paid for but didnt.
Im using a mm2 esc brand new and a Gens ace 4000mah 65c battery which is very powerful.. Im sure it should be taking off way way harder than it is..
BTW i ended up locking the centre diff, but it was backflipping before that.
Thanks mate. Yeah Mono is Wheelie lol. Good ol Straya Slang like get me flamin Shiela to throw a snag on the barby lol
DAMO33 likes this.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Brushless motor damage is (generally) limited to heat damage or physical damage where the rotor has come apart or the windings are shot. If the rotor came apart you’d hear it or it wouldn’t run. Windings it wouldn’t run. For heat damage, the magnets in the rotor lose some of their strength. This results in a loss of power and the motor running hotter and getting hot faster than it normally would.

Without seeing firsthand I’d lean more towards esc setting or battery issue than motor. Especially if it’s a Castle 1717, I have no idea how good the Traxxas 1717’s are. Are you sure the esc is properly calibrated to your radio? It doesn’t take long to do, check the endpoints on the throttle AND brake making sure they’re maxed and recalibrate. Hook up the Castle Link and check the settings. If none of this helps borrow a different battery from a friend or something.

Lastly, if you are going to replace the esc do not get the XO1 esc. The esc in the XO1 is just a standard MMM with caps added and you’ll pay a premium for it. You’d be better served with the MMX or whatever their 1/8 esc is called that has data logging. You can also add the Castle Cap Bank to it and probably still pay less than the price of an XO1 esc. With data logging you can see if the battery voltage under load is too low causing your loss of performance.

Last edited by Overdriven; 06-13-2021 at 07:30 PM.