Wiki Posts
Search

MT shock mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MT shock mounting

So, I'm looking into diving into the MT scene. I have an original Savage that I have updated through the years and is now a long chassis brushless rig, but I'm thinking about trying a solid axle MT. Question that I have is, what is the difference between mounting the shocks on the axle vs. on the bottom link? I'm pretty sure I saw a discussion about it in one of the many threads on here, but I cannot locate it now. Thanks for any info that anyone is willing to share on this.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It changes the suspension motion ratio which changes the effective wheel rate, read about it here: http://performancetrends.com/Definitions/Wheel-Rate.htm

The TL;DR is link-mounted shocks have a lower wheel rate than the same shock mounted to the axles.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply. So what I gather from reading that is that the only real difference is that link mounted shocks can be smaller but still have the same range of motion as axle mounted. Is that correct? Basically there would be no performance difference between the two if spring rates and shock oils were optimized for each setup?
Old 05-06-2021, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In a way yeah, link mounted shocks also effectively "slow down" shock shaft speed compared to an axle mounted shock so that will have an effect on piston valving for pack and all that wizardry.

Do keep in mind that either mounting location will be affected by the shock angle front-to-back (the "Spring Angle Correction" in the link above), leaning shocks toward the chassis center will cause a progressively increasing spring rate while leaning away will cause a neutral then eventually regressive wheel rate (never go regressive, it'll cause bottoming out). You can see this by comparing the angle between links and shocks as your suspension cycles, if for example the angle starts at say 70-degrees at full droop then reduces to 55-degrees at full compression it's progressive, if it stays the same it's neutral, and if it increases to 90-degrees it's regressive.

Hope that helps, suspension is a rather deep thing to fully understand.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tromoly
In a way yeah, link mounted shocks also effectively "slow down" shock shaft speed compared to an axle mounted shock so that will have an effect on piston valving for pack and all that wizardry.

Do keep in mind that either mounting location will be affected by the shock angle front-to-back (the "Spring Angle Correction" in the link above), leaning shocks toward the chassis center will cause a progressively increasing spring rate while leaning away will cause a neutral then eventually regressive wheel rate (never go regressive, it'll cause bottoming out). You can see this by comparing the angle between links and shocks as your suspension cycles, if for example the angle starts at say 70-degrees at full droop then reduces to 55-degrees at full compression it's progressive, if it stays the same it's neutral, and if it increases to 90-degrees it's regressive.

Hope that helps, suspension is a rather deep thing to fully understand.
That makes perfect sense, thanks for helping me understand. Whole reason why I'm asking about this is I'm thinking about getting an MT, but trying to decide what suspension setup would be better, I'm thinking about a Clodbuster, LMT or a SMT-10. I'm not planning on dropping it out of an airplane or any of the crazy bashing a lot of people seem to do these days. It would be for some light bashing I guess one would say and if I ever came across an event close, I'd like to try my hand at a NR/CTPA type event. I know the Clod can be modded to just about any suspension set up and that was the main reason for my original question.