Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Want to buy an Maxx, but Traxxas is making it hard >

Want to buy an Maxx, but Traxxas is making it hard

Like Tree21Likes

Want to buy an Maxx, but Traxxas is making it hard

Old 08-21-2020, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default Want to buy a Maxx, but Traxxas is making it hard

I've been thinking about it, watched some videos. It's ready to go, except for batts at $550 or so. Seems high, but if I bought a Tekno MT410 and set it up, that's going to be at least $750 or so. E-Revos don't seem to be as durable; I had one before, it was a good truck except for the diffs. (Maybe an E-Revo 2.0 is a better choice anyhow, as I already have a Summit, and a load of 2S battery packs)

Problems with the Maxx:
  • They have moved their proprietary plug to the ESC, with the integrated balance taps. So now I can't just cut it off and fit my plug of choice. I'd have to wire a balance tap manually, which looks tricky. (the balance leads are molded alongside the discharge leads)
  • No choice of bodies other than Traxxas, which is bogus. I like classic truck bodies for replacements. I guess that's a fair trade-off for having the built-in roll bars and latch...
  • The giant X-Maxx servo, I'm OK with, as it seems to need that extra weight in the front anyhow
Are you Maxx owners just caving in and buying Traxxas batteries? Or cluttering things up by using an adapter?
Also, a 50 mph truck is getting to the point where I'd want a decent radio, or at least some easy way to dial in expo.

Arrma Kraton 6S seems to need a new servo out of the gate and shimming the diffs? Plus, I think they're ugly. I don't mind the higher CoG for a proper-looking truck. Plus, they're out of stock everywhere.

Last edited by Smaug; 08-22-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Buy the Maxx you want. Take out the Traxxas ESC, Radio and RX and sell it on eBay. Swap in a Max6 and what ever radio/rx combo you like and be happy.
Smaug likes this.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I thought you could still change the battery connector. Just now if done it voids warranty.

I had this done to my coworker sons Rustler 4x last year.

Im still using older batteries with my 4Tec. It’s go the newer connector.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have a 2.0 E-Revo and it takes some
abuse! I choose to run it mostly on 4s, itís just too much on 6s IMHO and you spend all of your time trying to keep the front end down so you can turn. I get decent runtime out of a pair of Traxxas 2s 7600ís in it.

As for the Traxxas battery connectors, the truck doesnít have anything more than positive and negative wires so you can switch to whatever plugs you want. Itís the Traxxas batteries that have the built in balance wires but if you were running Traxxas batteries (I do, theyíve been great for me) then you wouldnít be asking about changing the connectors.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC View Post
I have a 2.0 E-Revo and it takes some
abuse! I choose to run it mostly on 4s, itís just too much on 6s IMHO and you spend all of your time trying to keep the front end down so you can turn. I get decent runtime out of a pair of Traxxas 2s 7600ís in it.

As for the Traxxas battery connectors, the truck doesnít have anything more than positive and negative wires so you can switch to whatever plugs you want. Itís the Traxxas batteries that have the built in balance wires but if you were running Traxxas batteries (I do, theyíve been great for me) then you wouldnít be asking about changing the connectors.
Iíve used the older Traxxas batteries before. Since they lasted Iím ok with the price I paid 9 years ago. But for a lot of us. Thereís a lot batteries available that cost far less.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Iíve used the older Traxxas batteries before. Since they lasted Iím ok with the price I paid 9 years ago. But for a lot of us. Thereís a lot batteries available that cost far less.
Yes and no. Are they cheap? No. But they are durable and come with a good warranty and work great with Traxxas chargers (super happy with my Traxxas Dual Live charger). I run $150 race packs in my race buggy but for my bashers Traxxas batteries fit the bill perfectly. And for someone getting into the hobby Iíll always recommend them as they are super simple and a safer lipo option for someone whoís just learning.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC View Post
Yes and no. Are they cheap? No. But they are durable and come with a good warranty and work great with Traxxas chargers (super happy with my Traxxas Dual Live charger). I run $150 race packs in my race buggy but for my bashers Traxxas batteries fit the bill perfectly. And for someone getting into the hobby Iíll always recommend them as they are super simple and a safer lipo option for someone whoís just learning.
For just starting. Iíll agree. Iíve personally got a hard time spending over a $100 on a battery. Iíve tried the high end R1 batteries in my touring cars. One lasted, one seems to have a dead cell after a year.

Almost 10 years and over 100 vehicles. Iíve only ever used a warranty once. And that was from Hpi.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Think of long term cost vs up front cost. Tekno may be more up front, but how much will it cost to get maxx to Tekno's level?? Look at Traxxas own upgrade path-looking at well over $1k to follow that and still won't be as high quality as Tekno. Traxxas upgrade path includes wide kit, steel cvds, and 17mm hexes (and lots more). Traxxas says something to effect that these upgrades significantly improve stability and durability. Just those 3 items are $180ish. Now you're near tekno cost but not tekno quality.

Tekno let's you put in electronics of your choice and skip hassle of having sell stuff on ebay. Gives you more body choices and not tied into Traxxas proprietary ecosystem. Also, traxxas burying their electronics in near plastic coffins has to be detrimental to their temps.
Smaug likes this.

Last edited by mosquito; 08-21-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I bought Lectron Pro 4S batteries for the Maxx. They have a traxxas adapter plug and you can use your normal charger. I have an Orion and charge like I would any other brand of battery. They fit perfect, inside of the battery box/clip and work great.

As far as the Maxx in general, I think it's great. The Traxxas radio actually isn't bad, especially if you have the link/app. I have all my race vehicles on a Futaba but generally don't like using a higher end radio for bashing. The traxxas one doesn't have a screen to worry about scratching or breaking and it is easy to toss in the truck and not worry about messing it up during transport. The new Arrma radio are supposedly pretty bad as far as a delay and just not precise feeling. I don't feel that the Traxxas radio is bad and with the app you can adjust whatever you need. The truck has been very durable for me and it is much more fun than my Erevo 1 was. Like I said in another thread, the Erevo was cool but I just started to get annoyed with it, over time. I think the Xmaxx and Maxx, Traxxas went in a good direction with their trucks. The Erevo platform had it's day but it's a bit complex and pricey to run, which is why I ended up not going with the 2.0.

I know that I have a different view than most when it comes to bashing. I have 3 Tekno race vehicles and really had no desire to build a MT410. I honestly think Traxxas makes a good enough truck with the XMaxx or Maxx that you can buy, mod have fun. They are really easy to clean and maintain. That type of stuff matters to me in a basher. I have enough being super particular with my race vehicles, so I want something that already comes waterproof so I can run it wherever and clean easily.

Granted, the Maxx is pricey but I don't regret the purchase at all. And there are plenty of upgrades to mod as you go, if you break it or get bored.
angrymelon and Smaug like this.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:53 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Tekno is better in the long run.

Some things I did with my Maxx. Sold the stock ESC/radio. Just not a huge fan of them from an adjustability standpoint. Replaced with a Hobbywing Max8 ESC (straight plug and play with the stock motor bullet connectors). The ONLY thing I miss is the feature to self-right itself on its wheel when its flipped over. Too many walk of shame. I was also able to bump up the BEC voltage on the ESC to 7.2V. I've heard of people doing this on the stock servo and haven't had failures. So far....knock on wood....my servo is holding up to the increased voltage. I have more speed/torque from the servo so it went from being really crappy to just slightly acceptable.

Maxx flips easy, had to buy a $50 Widemaxx kit which made it more stable (some people reporting twisted driveshafts when switching over to wide). Also I have popped off the body a few times on hard landings, the latch and mount system is not totally secure.

Aside from that, it is a very fast and durable truck. Just wished I went Tekno to start.
Smaug likes this.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:57 AM
jko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Traxxas connectors are backwards compatible so you can use batteries with the old traxxas plugs with the new esc. Esc is not connected to the balancing wires.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

I recently bought a Kraton 6S and so far the servo and diffs are fine. 6S is pretty crazy..

I personally would never get involved with a company like Traxxas with proprietary bits and the need for lots of mods and being limited to certain batteries or whatever etc.

So far Iíve just bought aluminum braces and an RPM bumper..(sold the junk Spektrum radio and receiver..) So far so good. Not doing huge jumping though, for now anyway..
Smaug likes this.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I almost bought traxxas maxx. I've owned several tekno and the traxxas is much different style rc.

It looks like fun and a nice rc for someone like me, but due to ethical concerns i couldn't get one. Suspension feels plush. Proprietary body doesn't bother me, i like the stock body in the right color combinations.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Some thoughts so far:
  • I may not require upgrades with the Maxx. For example, I accept that monster trucks are inherently tippy, so I probably wouldn't go wide.
  • I was wrong about the Maxx ESC being tied to the balance tap, so that's no longer a concern
  • Maxx = tougher and more convenient body vs. MT410 = more body choices. I really loved that latching body when I had my (1st Gen) X-Maxx.
  • Maxx's TQI radio: I don't have iPhone, but Android, so the Bluetooth programming isn't an option. Theoretically, it's possible to program steering expo via the two-button+LED interface, but I haven't been successful at that so far. I might want to upgrade the radio system at some point. To me, steering expo is required on a 1/10, 50 mph monster truck to make it drivable at speed. Not having steering expo is why people flip them so much, in my opinion.
  • Fan cooled motor: Traxxas advertises longer run times because of this, but I think that's a lie. If it ran cooler because it was a more efficient design, that would be true. If it's cooler because it's fan-cooled, that may just be an inefficient design being over-driven. It's a long can 540, rather than 550.
  • I like the full-length motor cradle design with preset mesh options
  • Anyone know if the battery bay will accept two 2S 5 Ah lipos? (for series connection) If so, I could use 6 of my existing packs instead of buying new. If not, I might be better off with something less rigid. (Like a race grade Velcro strap system)
Old 08-22-2020, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

I know that I have a different view than most when it comes to bashing. I have 3 Tekno race vehicles and really had no desire to build a MT410. I honestly think Traxxas makes a good enough truck with the XMaxx or Maxx that you can buy, mod have fun. They are really easy to clean and maintain. That type of stuff matters to me in a basher. I have enough being super particular with my race vehicles, so I want something that already comes waterproof so I can run it wherever and clean easily.
AJH387, What makes the Maxx easier to clean and maintain than a Tekno? Just the waterproof aspects?

How do you feel about Traxxas' quality vs. Tekno?

Do you think two 2S 5 Ah packs would fit in the Maxx's battery tray?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.