Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
What is the best chassis for the Super Clod Buster? >

What is the best chassis for the Super Clod Buster?

Like Tree3Likes

What is the best chassis for the Super Clod Buster?

Old 08-04-2020, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default What is the best chassis for the Super Clod Buster?

What aftermarket chassis should I buy that gives the smoothest ride and wont break! I want nice suspension as well. Gonna run these 2 motors with 0 timing:

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...brushed_motors

I want front and rear steering servos. I want to put a lot of money into this but need some help with all the aftermarket parts! I have no idea where to start with all the aftermarket parts out there.I want front and rear steering servos. I want to put a lot of money into this but need some help. I have no idea where to get all the best stuff. If you guys know about anything I havent mentioned that I should upgrade on this clod please speak up! I do not want a crawler! Thanks everyone for taking your time to read this!

Last edited by Clodbusterfan; 08-04-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Would this be a good upgrade?:

CPE-CLODPACK3

Would I need this chassis or would that upgrade mentioned before be ok?:

CPE-TIMEWARP

I also dont have a preference for 4 shocks total or 8 shocks. Whatever will give the smoothest ride!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

im super tempted to get this one for mine (or maybe build a second truck). https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/regul...ts-clod-buster
jconcepts also has a behind the axle servo set up that seems cool. https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/regul...-kit-bas-1-set

and i will tell you this, if you want to run 4 wheel steering with axle mounted servo's you'll need a reversing Y harness.

i also have CPE's 4 link kit and steering links on mine. but i made my own on axle servo mounts (CPE's apparently come with traxxas servo mounts and i wouldn't piss on a traxxas to put out a fire so i made my own bracket and used AE servo mounts from i think an RC10T3). i use a stock chassis so i have CPE's chassis brace as well. i run 8 AE shocks but only have (silver) springs on 4 with 10weight oil. the tires seem to do more for suspension than the shocks. it's probably set up related but i like the bounce sense it's era correct for my truck.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Does that chassis use anything from the stock Super Clod? That chassis looks awesome! Could you try to explain to me what all comes with that chassis? I am just gonna build a whole new Super Clod and make it faster and a little smoother. What I should ask is what all will I need to finish this chassis?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

the only thing i know about that chassis is whats in that link and what's in this video
ClaireKK likes this.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Clodbusterfan: It's time to branch out. If your goal is a faster and smoother running, why not start with something that's designed for that in the first place?

If you want solid axle suspension and still better than a Clod can ever be, look at a Kyosho FO-XX VE 2.0.
If you want an even smoother ride, go independent with either a Summit or E-Revo 2.0.

Otherwise, you'll spend all this time and money and still have something inferior. (and it won't even be a Clod any more) If the building process is what you enjoy, then I guess I understand. I enjoy running them too, so I wouldn't have more than one of a given model.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by st_dragn_wagen View Post
im super tempted to get this one for mine (or maybe build a second truck). https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/regul...ts-clod-buster
jconcepts also has a behind the axle servo set up that seems cool. https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/regul...-kit-bas-1-set
I waited months for JConcepts to release this kit and when I saw that it will cost $364 to get a complete kit with rear steering, I was left baffled. I'm a huge monster truck fan and I just wanted a fun project to build but not when a chassis kit costs more than the actual kit. It's not the money, it's the principle. I could buy a 4th Kyosho Mad Force/Crusher/Fo-xx for that money..The Kyosho platform isn't perfect and does need money spent on upgrades but it's a much more capable RC.

Originally Posted by st_dragn_wagen View Post
and i will tell you this, if you want to run 4 wheel steering with axle mounted servo's you'll need a reversing Y harness.
You're assuming OP is using an RTR/super basic 2 or 3 channel radio if this is the case. Granted, OP didn't specify. @Clodbusterfan, you can find a decently cheap computerized radio that will have crawler mixing which would allow for rear steering as well as other fun modes. There is the Flysky GT5, the Radiolink RC4GS,RC6GS, and other budget radios.

Smaug likes this.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Werty Yui View Post
I could buy a 4th Kyosho Mad Force/Crusher/Fo-xx for that money..The Kyosho platform isn't perfect and does need money spent on upgrades but it's a much more capable RC.
Not to hijack the thread, but maybe OP will also benefit from the question/answer:

Werty Yui I have been tempted by the Kyosho Foxx. What parts does it need upgraded first? In general, are parts easy to come by? Availability of parts is what holds me back from some of the Kyosho vehicles (for example I'd love a Scorpion XXL but I have checked various parts and can't find them online).

Old 08-05-2020, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by smirkracing View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but maybe OP will also benefit from the question/answer:

Werty Yui I have been tempted by the Kyosho Foxx. What parts does it need upgraded first? In general, are parts easy to come by? Availability of parts is what holds me back from some of the Kyosho vehicles (for example I'd love a Scorpion XXL but I have checked various parts and can't find them online).
I've never had an issue getting parts for my Mad Forces but I usually buy parts online, in fact, almost exclusively. Most hobby shops I've been to don't carry any Kyosho parts in general. The only real worry you'll have when it comes to parts availability with Kyosho is when they discontinue a kit like the XXL or one of my faves, the DRX Rally car. At least Traxxas, and to a degree, Horizon, pump out spare parts for a time. The Mad Force platform has been around for YEARS so it seems it's one of the safer Kyosho platforms to get into but nothing lasts forever nor is guaranteed.....at least we have 3D printers now.

I'll copy/paste below what I posted in another thread concerning my suggestions on the platform. The plastics on the Mad Force/Crusher/Foxx lines aren't the strongest so you can't bash it like a Savage or a 6S Arrma. The plastics tend to become brittle in the winter, including the shock caps, and can tend to breakages. The shocks aren't the most durable but they do fine in warm weather, it's the colder temps that hardest on them. Kyosho does offer aluminum bodied shocks as an upgrade.I've never broken a chain link or had any chassis issues but then again, you learn the limits of these machines. I'm a huge fan of the platform but people need to know what they can expect, it's not without faults.

Copy/paste:
This is what I suggest after years of owning my Nitro and VE Mad Forces, this will apply to the Crusher and FOXX as well:

-Pick up the Kyosho IF402 spider gear set for the diffs. You WILL eventually blow your diffs without these extra gears that SHOULD have been there out the box. New Add: Also, shim the diff to the pinion a tad tighter.

-The diffs use coarse screws to hold the ring gear to the diff housing {this may have changed in the newer models). Those screws will back off almost immediately and cause several issues. Problem is solved by using M3x10 or M3x12 screws! This problem is also found on the GT2 platform, at least it was the case on my Nitro Challenger.

-Pick up the Kyosho MAW019 swing shaft set. The front dog bones WILL eventually pop out and will even pop out and cause the axle tube housing to crack. Believe it or not, I ran my Nitro Mad Force for 2 years without these and all was fine. All the sudden I started having issues so I had to upgrade. My VE was an issue from day one.

-Front center drive dog bone is known for popping out. Again, well known issue. I've successfully used (thick) heat shrink tubing to help keep the front dong bone in place. RC monster also sells adapters that will allow you to use Traxxas Revo CVA's (plastic ones) which is what I run on both my trucks now.

-This one is new, I forgot to mention this before but: The top of the shocks can pop off of their ball end mounts. Super simple fix: On these latest models, the top shock ball mount has a threaded hole from the factory, simply add a washer and a screw and the shock will never pop off again. If you have an older model with the non threaded hole, the new part number is MA305, it's super cheap and simple fix.

That's about it for the major stuff. The chain drive has NEVER been an issue for me on either truck. It's actually unheard of for there to be problems, at least for me. The VE variant has a slipper which works great while the nitro version is simply direct (no slipper) so you get 50/50 power delivery.

I had setup front axle mounted servos on both my trucks and after about a year and a half, I went back to the stock configuration. Why? Servicing the front diff was more of a pain in the ass with the axle mounted servo and I didn't find a massive improvement in steering performance so I reverted. Your experience might differ.

The steering system, while wonky, works great. There is a built in servo saver back under the engine/motor plate and it actually works great. If you see the stock steering linkages over extending, it's from the servo saver doing it's thing and not due any flex.

What's my personal preference? Nitro. Both are fun trucks but the nitro one seems to take it to another fun zone level!
Old 08-05-2020, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

I do enjoy the build! And I am obsessed with Clod Busters! I dont necessarily need a Clod looking R/C truck. I want to fix it up nice like a look alike Bigfoot. I dont mind the bounce too much but smoother than the stock clod. Between these 2 chassis which one would you pick for bashing? And does anyone know what other upgrades I will need with either of these chassis?:

CPE-TIMEWARP

CPE-GAUNTLETAL

Thanks for any help guys!
Old 08-05-2020, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

How about these shocks:
https://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Pro...RoC7FgQAvD_BwE
Old 08-05-2020, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clodbusterfan View Post
I do enjoy the build! And I am obsessed with Clod Busters! I dont necessarily need a Clod looking R/C truck. I want to fix it up nice like a look alike Bigfoot. I dont mind the bounce too much but smoother than the stock clod. Between these 2 chassis which one would you pick for bashing? And does anyone know what other upgrades I will need with either of these chassis?:

CPE-TIMEWARP

CPE-GAUNTLETAL

Thanks for any help guys!
Timewarp seems geared towards preserving the stock Clod look and feel. Gauntlet changes the geometry and looks much more performance-oriented.

I prefer the Absolute Chaos chassis:
https://triggerkingrc.com/links/acrc-absolute-chaos-rc/

There is an email address for a guy who will sell you one of those.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depending on your budget, if you want a performance clod based truck you can go with various versions of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193602750793
chassis like these put the shocks on the arms and greatly improves handling. This specific chassis you can add weight to it (helps since most of the weight is directly on axle).

If you want an all out race truck, Freestyle RC has some of the best axles I have seen (they use traxxas parts internally). https://freestyle-rc.com/ this is my next build.

My clod

terminator 2 chassis from cpe.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What you build should be tailored to where you plan to drive. Bashing? Racing? Open area? Small yard? Grass, dirt, pavement? Once you break that down it helps.

4s, 6s and 8s you tend to want more room. Bashing usually needs speed and space. Racing you will need others to race against and different options for different tracks. Small grassy yard, you won't need to go crazy on a build. Etc.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

I want the CPE this Gauntlet:

CPE-GAUNTLETAL

or this CPE Time Warp:

CPE-TIMEWARP

Which would be more durable for bashing? I feel like the Chaos wont work without all kinds of mods. I want something thats not gonna be hard to put together. I am buying a brand new Super Clod kit to go with this.

Last edited by Clodbusterfan; 08-06-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.