Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
How would a Reedy Radon 19T work in a Tamiya Super Clod Buster? >

How would a Reedy Radon 19T work in a Tamiya Super Clod Buster?

How would a Reedy Radon 19T work in a Tamiya Super Clod Buster?

Old 07-31-2020, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default How would a Reedy Radon 19T work in a Tamiya Super Clod Buster?

How would a Reedy Radon 19T motors work in a Tamiya Super Clod Buster? The Reedy motors have adjustable timing but I dont understand the timing.... How do you change the timing and where would I set it for the front and rear motors?
Old 07-31-2020, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

gonna need a motor dyno to set your timing at its best on that brushed motor..never ran the 19t radon but rn a few 19t in my brushed clods.. id use same timing front and back just hoop up voltages in rev.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

I thought I read that I would just run those Reedy Radon motors at 0 timing and hook the rear one up in reverse? Would that work?
Old 07-31-2020, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

sure .but with most motors a dyno will give you the best on where your motor is set .cant remember what the com # where always liked the APS dyno results and how motor ran after adjusting
Old 07-31-2020, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

You will be fine, we used to run Crazy Brushed Cobalt motors in NRCTPA. I ran Astroflight Pullmaster Motors with Stormers 4:1 Gear Reduction.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

So no one answered for sure about setting both motors to 0 timing? Do I use 0 timing on both motors or do I need negative timing on the rear motor?
Old 07-31-2020, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

if your going to use zero on front use zero on rear
Old 07-31-2020, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

if your going to use 0 on front how do you get to a negative on rear?
Old 07-31-2020, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

See I dont understand about timing at all is why I asked about reverse timing. Would 0 on the front and 0 on the back be the best way to hook up the Reedy motors?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Clodbusterfan View Post
See I dont understand about timing at all is why I asked about reverse timing. Would 0 on the front and 0 on the back be the best way to hook up the Reedy motors?
Yes.

They would work fine, but being 19T instead of 27T (as stock motors are) it will be a lot faster. Will easily overdrive the suspension and be more likely to break if you crash it. Maybe fitting a set of oil shocks would help a bit, but probably only just a bit.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:33 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you Smaug. I have 4 aftermarket shocks. Front and rear steering servos. A strong bumper on the front of it. And the chassis was notorious for breaking so I have a metal brace on the middle of the chassis. There are more parts for a Super Clod Buster than almost any R/C vehicle.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For a clodbuster you need reverse rotation for the rear motor which leaves you with two options. You either set both motors to 0* timing and switch the +/- wires on the rear motor, or you flip the rear motor endbell 180 degrees and set the timing in the opposite direction (negative timing to match the positive timing value on the front motor, I'd recommend 7-10 degrees) and wire the motor as you would normally (+ to +, - to - ).
Old 08-03-2020, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Clodbusterfan View Post
Thank you Smaug. I have 4 aftermarket shocks. Front and rear steering servos. A strong bumper on the front of it. And the chassis was notorious for breaking so I have a metal brace on the middle of the chassis. There are more parts for a Super Clod Buster than almost any R/C vehicle.
There was really no competition for a Clodbuster for a LONG time! Or not much, anyhow.

I still think of getting one from time to time, but posts like yours make me wonder if there is a happy medium for modding? Something that can make it less bouncy, but without needing to customize too much? ...or if they're just best left stock.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Everything I have done to my Clod has been successful and its a better performing truck because of those aftermarket parts!
Old 08-04-2020, 12:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

I may need to pick up a Clodbuster, once they come back in stock.