Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Gearing help with smt10 >

Gearing help with smt10

Gearing help with smt10

Old 06-15-2020, 09:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Gearing help with smt10

Hello

I just landed a great deal on a new SMT10 with all the goodies(not installed). I think the previous owner lost interest. In this package was a Castle Sidewinder 3 brushless set up that will be going in soon. Its got JC Renegades and I just installed Axial metal gears. My question is, what size spur and pinion would I be looking to install? I don't want it geared to be ridiculously fast. Somewhere in the middle I guess. It also came with a 3S Lipo, which I'm apprehensive about using. I'm thinking that a 2S Lipo will suffice, without generating over the top power. My 7yr old will be using this as well.

Thank you.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can't really make a decision about changing the gear ratio until you see how fast it goes with the original gear ratio.

For your 7-year-old, I suggest getting a radio with a throttle-limit setting.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

in order to give you info on a gear ratio .1 would need the kv or motor the exact cell count your going to use,as for your 7 year old Id get a radio that you can adjust the throttle endpoints in order to slow down after you calibrate esc to new radio.. maybe start at 50% of the the limit in throttle limit setting....without knowing what the kv of motor is 1st cant really give you a correct gear ratio to start..most rc give the builder a kv motor range and the pinion and spur are given in kit to add .. but sometimes that will change due to how hot the motor gets has nothing to due with speed of rc has everything to due with how hot motor becomes while user is running rc.. Id start with 30 seconds of running rc then work your way up in time..if gearing is set to low or to high the temp will rise above 170 that can damage motor magnets and make motor go bad...A 56Tooth spur with a 14tooth pinion is what comes with the builders kit ..thats a good place to start as long as kv of motor is not to high.nice to hear some 1 got a axial as a 1st rc ..have fun
Axial Racing - SMT10 1/10th Scale Monster Truck Raw Builders Kit