Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Want a new truck - Kraton, or SWorkz Zeus V3 - Any Good? Something Else? >

Want a new truck - Kraton, or SWorkz Zeus V3 - Any Good? Something Else?

Like Tree8Likes

Want a new truck - Kraton, or SWorkz Zeus V3 - Any Good? Something Else?

Old 06-07-2020, 04:53 AM
Tech Champion

Default Want a new truck - Kraton, or SWorkz Zeus V3 - Any Good? Something Else?

I'm in the market for a new car. Normally I would/should just buy a Kraton, but they have gone up in price to €550ish, and I can't tell from reading around and watching Youtube clips if they need a bunch of mods. I don't want to feel like I would need to go buy a bunch of mods. The main advantage of something like a Kraton would definitely be parts availability.

The Zeus V3 kit costs €300 shipped. The advantages would be 1.) I could build it, which I would like.., and 2.) it's far cheaper than any other kit options... The disadvantages would be parts support, and I'm not sure about how good it is.. I have tried to watch a few clips, and the reviews seem mixed. But I don't know if they are basing their reviews on how it handles extreme bashing..

Is it any good though? I've tried to watch a few of those long German YT clips, and the conclusion seems to be they aren't so great, if I'm not mistaken?

I am not looking to do triple backflips over the house. What I do want though is something that is rock solid, durable, and reliable.. I've had an MT4 G3 for years and it just runs. I'm fine with 4S or maybe experimenting with 5S. I don't want to or plan to buy 6S lipos. Just really want a truck to mess around with on the street, but I would from time to time launch it for some flips etc...

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

BTW, my Tamiya has some drivetrain issue going on again, and I am sick of messing with it.

That means, I would have the 150a ESC, new-ish 2200kv motor, good Savox servo, and big MT4 G3 tires/rims to put on any kit I got... I like the MT4 G3 tires for size, longevity, etc..
Old 06-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What about hot bodies truggy? I still swear by tekno mt410
Old 06-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Does Hot Bodies still even make a truggy? I'm not sure, but I don't know if HB is well supported in Germany..

I don't want a 10th scale, I don't really like the MT look of the Tekno, a Tekno would cost a fortune, but what puts me off Tekno the absolute most is that afaik they have ONE supplier in Germany. I recently looked at their website, and %80 of the stuff was not in stock, with predicted arrival dates listed. If I were to need a part, I want it in two days. Period. Not in some wished/hoped for date in the distant future... Anyway, that to me is throwing all your eggs in one basket, and I wouldn't do that. In the US I imagine you'd have multiple sources, so that would be a different story..
Old 06-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

I get that but truth be told Iíve yet to break one single thing driving on 5s but it does fine on 3 and 4 s I hear you that itís different but itís strong and Iím not sure if you can by from tower hobbies if you can they do 3 easy payments and thereís a coupon for 40$ off as far as the hot bodies itís one of the most durable trucks Iíve ever owned the chassis is really thick
Old 06-07-2020, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

As far as the kraton out of the box itís fine yeah chassis could be stronger but itís not gonna flex unless you launch it to the moon and you could make your own support with some aluminum square heat and bend drill hole I have faith in ya !
Old 06-07-2020, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

I'm in Europe so no Tower Hobbies as you know it.. Here it's just rebranded Horizon, has no meaningful sales, and just costs more and does things differently generally..

If I spend 500+ bucks for a truck, I want to know with relative certainty that I can have a part not only in three days, but in three years... What's the point of having an RC car if you can't get parts for it? I have this problem now, having gotten back into cars a bit, with a garage full of my old stuff.. (MT4 G3s, Tamiya TRF801XT, RC8T, SC8, RC8B, DM-1, LST2, etc... Though in most of these cases it's not three years, but more like 5+.. Still though, it's annoying.. And honestly, I can get stuff more easily for all of the above - except the DM-1 probably than I could a Tekno part from some other supplier besides the exclusive one here. An exclusive supplier means no competition, and that's not good...
Old 06-07-2020, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

SworkZ has a new 1/8 buggy out S35-4E.
SworkZ is really good.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

weren't you interested in the hobao mt+2 ?
Old 06-08-2020, 03:10 AM
Tech Champion

I had checked out the Hyper SS T... Is the Hobao good? I had the Hyper ST Pro back in the day, and liked it. It was solid and durable. I've been out of the scene for so long though I don't know if all that still holds true..

As for the new SWorks race truggy, that entails a fair bit more coin. €550ish probably for the kit, vs. just under €300 for the Zeus... I mean in a pinch I could maybe even buy a second Zeus kit, and be at about the same price as one high-end race truggy... I'm only looking to blast up and down the road really, and now and then launch off a (small) ramp, so trying to avoid the cost of the high-end stuff...(one I don' need it, and two depreciation if I want to sell it in a year or three...)

The price is nice on the Zeus, I could use electronics and tires I already have, and I get to build something... Just trying to figure out if it really sucks or anything... Just checking out this video now:

Doesn't seem too bad....
Old 06-08-2020, 04:02 AM
Tech Champion

Further viewing on Youtube tends to add to the negative column.. Guess I should probably leave it..

Most of the shops here in Germany don't seem to have ANY truggies in stock. And Arrma prices are not what they used to be before Horizon got involved.. Two places have the Kraton listed for €540ish, but not in stock. A couple places have it for €590, which is frankly just cheeky IMO... Choice seems pretty sparse to be honest if you want something offroad in 8th scale..

So if I'm at the point where I say no Tekno, no Zeus, no kits (like Serpent, Mugen etc..) which cost over €500, then it seems my only option is probably to wait til the Kratons come in stock for under €550. Not sure I'm too keen on that. Especially if they really need tuning, stockpiling of parts, etc.. Also miss the opportunity to build a kit from scratch, paint the body, etc..

Old 06-08-2020, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

no RC is perfect ! it's as simple as that ! and you want one that is durable and cheap ? lol !
i wouldn't listen too much to german rc playground. i watched a bunch of their vids and i wonder if they actually like RC ! so much negativity !

i don't know the zeus, but it seems to be nice. the guy in the first vid added some serious bracing !!

were you satisfied with the durability of the arrmas ? if yes, any other RC will be good for you lol! i'm joking ! but in my experience the notorious broke faster than any rc i had !!
Old 06-08-2020, 04:34 AM
Tech Champion

I've never had an Arrma. I was considering one a few years ago. AussieRCPlayground showed pretty persuasively I thought how durable they were.. But that was a long time ago.

RC cars are a massive money pit, across the board. Bashers waste money on "hopups" hand over fist, and racers...., well, all of racing is a bottomless money pit..

So no, throwing money at things does not automatically make them better. I still have M2C titanium turnbuckles I bought for my LST2 (14 years ago!!!) and never installed. Because I never needed to.. But back when I was getting started people told me I needed them... With LST2s in my experience most tuning parts were flat-out unnecessary. With Savages - well they were just a wreck all around.. My Associateds have been good, but unfortunately the old E-truggy is no longer available, and the new one doesn't share any parts.. A BNIB RC8Te would be perfect. But they are hard to find and people want unrealistic prices for used ones...

Surely the Arrma Kraton V4 has addressed at least some durability issues of earlier ones? Again, not looking to quadruple backflip over houses or launch off mountains.. I do find the Horizon premium added to the price annoying. Nearly €600 is a bit much IMO... The early Kratons were going for like €430 5-6 years ago I think...

How is the Hobao MT, and the Proline MT? Though I would prefer a more truggy style truck, with my spare set of MT4 G3 tires...
Old 06-08-2020, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I'm in the market for a new car. Normally I would/should just buy a Kraton, but they have gone up in price to €550ish, and I can't tell from reading around and watching Youtube clips if they need a bunch of mods.

I am not looking to do triple backflips over the house. What I do want though is something that is rock solid, durable, and reliable.. I've had an MT4 G3 for years and it just runs. I'm fine with 4S or maybe experimenting with 5S. I don't want to or plan to buy 6S lipos. Just really want a truck to mess around with on the street, but I would from time to time launch it for some flips etc... Thanks.
Trust me; you don't need a Tekno. The Kraton 6s is more than adequate. No upgrades needed. Sure the Kraton isn't perfect, but like Werner pointed out, no rc is. 6S is another league... You're good!
The Kraton is probably the closest thing to what the MT4G3 was before it. Like you said yourself; "it just runs". Same thing with the Kraton.

By the way, don't take advice from Werner It's like comparing tennis racket with Roger Federer!
werner sline likes this.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks. "No mods needed" sounds good. I called a LHS shop today though, and they said it's like €600, and they'd have to order it.. Or I can wait a couple weeks and get it(presumably) for €540ish... Still a lot. I think it'd probably be the smart move, but I kind of want to order one of these Zeus's just to have a kit to build...

If you do decide to run 6S with a Kraton, do you need like a programming card to change the ESC settings, as you did with the MT4 G3? I wasn't planning on getting any 6S lipos, but the "If you're going to be a bear be a grizzly" thing is rearing its ugly head.. Looks like about €50ish apiece for a Turnigy HD 6S 4000 60C at HK - good lipos for planes... Not a hard pack but I wouldn't want to spend more for lipos...

Anyway, still running it all through my head.. €700 would be way more than I was wanting to spend... (Kraton + two 6S lipos...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.