Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Used MT4 G3 or Used Brushless LST? >

Used MT4 G3 or Used Brushless LST?

Like Tree3Likes

Used MT4 G3 or Used Brushless LST?

Old 05-16-2020, 11:06 PM
Tech Champion

Default Used MT4 G3 or Used Brushless LST?

I've been getting back into cars a bit lately, so am realizing a bit better how old my stuff is.. I have one nitro LST2 left, which is in OK shape, but the truck is old. I have TONS of LST parts.. I also have an MT4 G3, and a decent assortment of parts. In addition i have a converted brushless Tamiya TRF801XT - with Ripper motor and HW 150a ESC. That truck is fun for blasting back and forth, but it's not a basher - the quality is bad. It's just not tough enough. Then there are the three Associated nitros (RC8T, SC8, RC8B), a second Tamiya - nitro - truggy, and the DM-1...

All of which means I have two brushless 8th scale trucks. And I want a third.. Used MT4 G3s seem to come up for sale pretty regularly here in Germany. LSTs less frequently, but there are some. What I'd really like is a brushless RC8T, but people are just asking too much for them. I'm not paying €400+ for a used, discontinued RC...

Anyway, I love my nitro LST2, and the MT4 G3 is a solid truck. It's a PIA putting batteries in and taking them out though. I'm inclined to think it would be better to get an MT4 G3, since it's basically a truggy, so simpler, and less likely to break. So I guess all this boils down to - if I'm getting something used AND long discontinued, it's even more important that it doesn't break too much. So is a used E-LST too risky, given that parts are drying up etc? I have tons of parts, but not sure about side rails for ex.(something likely to break). Not sure about diffs - maybe one new and a bag of parts from several used ones... I'm looking at a used LST for sale here, and I would need a wing mount(no clue where to find that..) So though I want that E-LST, I feel a bit wary about it...

Or maybe I should just be patient and wait for a deal on an RC8T.. (again, I have TONS of parts. EXCEPT CVAs... Which are hard to come by as well...)

I would like an Arrma Kraton, but I'm not buying any new brands or models, because I don't want to go down the path of stocking up on spares, mods, etc etc.. As you can see I have too much as it is...

Anyway, just thinking out loud. I guess I mostly want to hear from the E-LST guys.. I should also add - I'm not likely to go big crazy bashing anymore. A few moderate jumps and flips here and there, but not planning on jumping over any houses or anything...
Old 05-16-2020, 11:25 PM
Tech Champion

Just out of random curiosity - say I were going to go for a Kraton or Outcast... ( ) What mods or upgrades would be absolutely necessary? I don't care about bling or anything which people think is better but don't really know for sure from experience.. Just want to know what would be really necessary, if anything... Also, what spares - diffs and arms?* Thanks..

I'm really not going to get one. Anytime soon anyway. It would help though to know what it would cost, when considering what I'd be willing to pay for something else...

* Just the word "spares" makes me want to close the whole thread...
Old 05-17-2020, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you like more of the truggy style then why not go tekno they have parts everywhere and very durable also what about the hotbodies d8t? I heard in Europe parts are available for them I know there around here and on ebay one of the strongest truggys I’ve owned
Old 05-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Not going with a new brand. And definitely not Tekno. I think they have one distributor here or something. Would never go for that. Plus just too expensive. And their truggy is hideous IMO... I know they have good quality etc, but not a route I’m going to go..

No new brands..

Think my brushless Tamiya is out of commission now. Destroyed a knuckle today.. So down to one brushless 8th scale..
the rc guy likes this.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Get the E-lst. I have the lst xxl-e and its a beast. Run it on 5s maximum and it will rarely break. Its a reasonable choice given that you have nitro lst parts available
Old 05-18-2020, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

from the people i have talked to with e-converted LSTs, the biggest break part is the axle cups at the diffs, and the center shaft pin. also siderails if going for large air.
as far as the Arrmas, so far the only thing ive seen that breaks often is wing mounts, and depending on launch sizes, the chassis. (Just Bash-it makes a really good one im told). servo seems to be hit or miss though.
luckily over here at least LSTs still have good parts support, the main problem part to find is nitro/gas specific parts, (flywheels, clutchbells, etc.) no RPM arms really though, given the design, i am curious how much stronger RPM arms are than the LST2 arms, as the RPMs are closer to LST1 design.
ive always been curious about those TT rigs, but have never had the chance really. not as popular here in the states.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:16 PM
Tech Champion

I kind of want the LST, but the one I'm looking at would need a wing mount, and just finding that isn't easy - or cheap.. €25... I know, that in itself isn't that much. But when you have 7-8 8th scale cars, 10+ planes, drones, etc... I don't want to have to buy parts or mod stuff. And I know all too well how it is. "Just one part" turns into a garage full of them...

I really have a hankering for building something new from scratch - something high quality like a Mugen or X-ray.. But yeah, that's not going to happen, not for the €800 or whatever it would cost... Corona lockdown time gave me way too much free time to come up with dumb ideas like that..

I think it'll either be a used MT4 G3 or this one used LST I'm looking at..:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...2126-249-15777
snowman49 likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I kind of want the LST, but the one I'm looking at would need a wing mount, and just finding that isn't easy - or cheap.. €25... I know, that in itself isn't that much. But when you have 7-8 8th scale cars, 10+ planes, drones, etc... I don't want to have to buy parts or mod stuff. And I know all too well how it is. "Just one part" turns into a garage full of them...

I really have a hankering for building something new from scratch - something high quality like a Mugen or X-ray.. But yeah, that's not going to happen, not for the €800 or whatever it would cost... Corona lockdown time gave me way too much free time to come up with dumb ideas like that..

you don't really need a wing mount. You just need the wheelie bar to prevent it from falling back on wheelies
Old 05-19-2020, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

i kinda have the idea rolling around that i want to try, i want to use the front and rear ends off an LST, then use the center chassis plate to something like a 8ight, more or less go for a modernized muggy. been skimming ebay here and there looking for a cheap parts chassis with center components. just seems everything muggy, unless shared with the LST parts, is impossible to find, so a rig that still has parts available while having a CD, and the LST huge shocks would be awesome, going to be awhile before i can really start putting it together though. but if i find the right deal can snag a part here and there.
i understand what you mean with that, but at the same time, does the MT4 G3 have them stock? another thing might be to look at the wheelie bar from the 3Xle possible?
Old 05-19-2020, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

So with the E-LST there are no issues with or with getting ahold of spur gears, pinions, etc?
Old 05-20-2020, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Redcat kaiju
I have had them all.....it's the best ask around fun
Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

So with the E-LST there are no issues with or with getting ahold of spur gears, pinions, etc?
over here in the states at least, spurs are for the most part quite available, can still get them through HH and amain.
i dont know if it would be necessary, TiNi spurs would be resorting to ebay though most likely.
pinions, that would depend on the motor correct? does 1/8 arrma use mod 1 pinion gears? (no idea what gear ratio you would go for on one of these lol)
(you are talking LST conversion correct? or LST 3xle spurs?)
Old 05-20-2020, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Conversion...

I tend to think the LST is a potentially dodgier route, and the MT4 G3 is a safer bet.. Was running my MT4 G3 yesterday, and it goes well, after al this time... Flips etc too. Don’t want to buy a truck I’m scared to run. Already have that with the Tamiya..
snowman49 likes this.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

am really curious about the MT4-G3, looks like a great truck. sadly not much on this side of the pond about them, and expensive if you do find them.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

The MT4 G3 is a really great truck. The main downside is that it is a pain switching batteries in and out. Nevertheless it looks like I will be picking up a used one here in the next couple of days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.