Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric Motor Seized Up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Default Electric Motor Seized Up...

Was just out messing around with my ancient converted Tamiya TRF801XT truggy, which has an MT4 G3 power system. All of a sudden the motor seems to have frozen up..

I took it apart but didn't see anything obvious. But then I am not experienced with brushless cars much or with working on motors. So, two questions:

1.) Is it repairable?

2.) What would be a good cheap drop-in replacement? I drive mostly 4S, but want the option of 5S...

I found another Ripper 2000kv for €75 shipped, but was kind of hoping Hobbyking had something equivalent for cheaper... I'm not looking to upgrade or race or whatever. Just want something at least as good.. This motor has been great btw - as has the one in my MT4 G3, which is still running fine..

Thanks..

Thanks.

ps I took it apart and put it back together, then saw I'd forgotten this thing. It is ripped on the other side.. When I had the main shaft out, with the bit or bits which go around it, it would not rotate by hand. I don't know if that is normal or not though..
Old 04-28-2020, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

How about this?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...58686-249-1749
Old 04-28-2020, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

herrsavage.. The motor you have has a 5mm pinion shaft the 1 in ebay add has a 1/8" id stay with a 550 size motor with a 5mm shaft.. check bearing in end caps ….id go up as high as 3200kv...
Old 04-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

man you got a tremendous experience in RCs : when a motor is dead, you better replace it ! there a loads of 2000kv these days, i like the leopard hobby or hobbystar motors that rcjuice.com sales
Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 PM
Tech Champion

I don't think those Leopard motors are available as much over here in Europe, and almost certainly not for the kind of price range I'd be looking at.

HK has a 4074 2000kv, but not in stock...

Thanks for the tip about the 5mm shaft the rc guy. The guy told me the motor he's selling would be even more powerful than the Ripper. But I will take your advice and stick with a 5mm motor..

The bearings seemed fine. The magnets all looked more or less OK too. Is it possible something in that central shaft - and the silver bit that surrounds it - just seized up so it's not repairable? Also, what is that roughed up silver bit I forgot to install? It is cracked through completely on the other side btw...
Old 04-28-2020, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by the rc guy
herrsavage.. The motor you have has a 5mm pinion shaft the 1 in ebay add has a 1/8" id stay with a 550 size motor with a 5mm shaft.. check bearing in end caps ….id go up as high as 3200kv...
Hey, I just rechecked the listing. It has a 5mm shaft.. ("5mm Motorwelle"..)

But the diameter is smaller(40mm instead of the Ripper's 42mm..) Again the guy is saying it has more power than the Ripper. I don'T quite understand how a smaller motor with the same KV can be more powerful?.. I would want to be able to use the same pinion (14T), or be able to switch to a 12T for 5S or maybe even eventually 6S..

I think I'm just going to buy it. The price is right and I am assuming it is a drop-in replacement...

Last edited by Herrsavage; 04-28-2020 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:40 AM
Tech Champion

Found a guy selling one of these for €55...
NOSRAM - Nosram Fatboy 8 BL Motor 2000kV

Edit - Nevermind. I don't want to have to figure out conectors etc.. Needs to be plug and play...
Old 04-29-2020, 06:17 AM
Tech Champion

https://www.der-schweighofer.de/Elek...SABEgJTBvD_BwE

??
Old 04-29-2020, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Yes that will work.no sensor like the last...
Old 04-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by the rc guy
Yes that will work.no sensor like the last...
Thanks. So better than the eBay one? Still don't know why the ebay guy said his Motor was more powerful than the Ripper, when it's smaller with the same KV...
Old 05-05-2020, 05:23 AM
Tech Champion

So, I got that Robitronic 4274 2200kv motor, and just tested it on a full 4S lipo. Seems to have about the same overall power, but I notice the tendency to wheelie comes a bit later in the pass. I.e. with the 2000kv ripper I think I noticed a tad more torque, and with this I guess the 200kv extra means the power comes on a bit later.. So, faster wheelies.. Overall, so far so good...

Just for poops and giggles, what motor would give it a good boost in power, while staying on 4S?

BTW, the silver center shaft thing on the old motor had what looked like a magnet slightly sticking out of place. I tried to press it back in with some pliers, and it just broke.. I don't suppose just that center bit is available somewhere. The copper wiring and can etc.. all look pretty good...

I had had my brakes set to %40, and had noticed a dodgy sound on braking. Is %40 too high? I suspect it is. It's not on %25..(EPA)
Old 05-10-2020, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Having an issue of some kind. It's making an unhealthy sounding grinding noise. When I give gas lightly, I can see that the pinion and SG are spinning lightly, with no real forward momentum.. Is this a punch setting or something? I had had it set to 5. Only running 4S - 14t pinion and 50t SG, 2200kv Robitronic motor, and 150a HW ESC.

The diffs are all good.

Thanks..
Old 05-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Could this be what's called "cogging"? Sounds unhealthy..