Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Is it worth running a savage xl 5.9? >

Is it worth running a savage xl 5.9?

Like Tree2Likes

Is it worth running a savage xl 5.9?

Old 04-19-2020, 01:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool Is it worth running a savage xl 5.9?

So about a week ago I got basically a brand new Savage 5.9, the only thing wrong with it is that it has been sitting for 5 or so years, the engine was never even broken in. The only gripe I have with it is that the previous owner flipped it and wound up scratching the top side plastics and motor heat sink but thats not really an issue, besides that its basically brand new off the showroom floor.
Fast forward til now I rebuilt the engine "absolutely no scratches or carbon buildup on the piston or sleeve" and replaced the bearings, battery, and added a 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver. Now I really want to go out and bash but I noticed parts are becoming very VERY hard to come by, and the ones that break often are starting to see a premium markup due to their scarcity. So im thinking about selling it while its still in its prime condition.

BTW I did break it in and ran it softly doing some figure 8's and my god this thing is a beast. At the end I ran it a little hard and it wanted to do wheelies while moving, its got some SERIOUS power and I never knew that nitro motors could be so fast. I want to keep it so bad but if its too hard to get parts for I would like to replace it with another nitro powered RC monster truck that has support. Mind shearing suggestions?

Cant post pics yet due to my acc being so new. I will once I get enough posts.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

If you think you can have some fun with it you night as well enjoy it. A truck likw that isn't going to pull big money so have some fun with it.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would definitely keep the savage xl. Drive it smooth, have fun with it, put some money away and buy a spare part here and there just incase, and youíll be golden. Now if you plan on bashing like crazy and doing insane jumps and stunts, well I certainly wouldnít do that to the savage. But still, id keep it and maybe just save up for another modern platform and just buy when youíre able to. Either way Iíd keep the savage and save the future regret Of getting rid of an awesome truck.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Definitely worth it , a lot of people complained about the 5.9 but they where also a bunch of nitro newbies that thought they knew everything about nitros because other people on forums said so . I got about 6 gallons on mine before I sold the truck and I only sold it to buy my wife a wedding ring( lame I know lol) but it does take longer to break it in ,mine finally came alive and super reliable at about 1 gallon after that it would fire up great and idle perfect I would just refill tank after tank and bash away. One thing I would suggest is a top end pipe I think I ran a dynamite 086 and it was smooth power all the way through.

Here a pic of it before I installed the dynamite pipe
Old 04-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Aight you guys talked me into it, I'm keeping it as it was always my dream rc. I'm gonna order a new body right away. What cage should I get?
Old 04-19-2020, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was never a fan of cages myself, to me it added too much weight
Old 04-19-2020, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

I always heard bad things about that engine. I'd get an LRP 32 for it.. If that's not an option, then just try your luck with the 5.9... I'd definitely keep the truck and run it..
Old 04-20-2020, 12:34 AM
Tech Champion

I don't understand the question. Is it worth running a Savage XL 5.9? Well...do you want to run it or not? It's a toy, not a 401(k), it doesn't require intensive rational analysis to determine the optimal course of action.

If you want to run it, run it. If you want to sell it, sell it. If you can't make up your mind, put it in storage for a few weeks and see if you miss it. If you still can't make up your mind, flip a coin and see if you agree with the choice the coin makes.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I don't understand the question. Is it worth running a Savage XL 5.9? Well...do you want to run it or not? It's a toy, not a 401(k), it doesn't require intensive rational analysis to determine the optimal course of action.

If you want to run it, run it. If you want to sell it, sell it. If you can't make up your mind, put it in storage for a few weeks and see if you miss it. If you still can't make up your mind, flip a coin and see if you agree with the choice the coin makes.
the point of the question was is it a good idea to run a truck that soon will not have parts available to repair it.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:53 AM
Tech Champion

I think you have to weigh that question against what you think you could sell it for now?

In the US, who knows.. Maybe somebody would pay good money. I would think though there isn't much of a market for old nitro stuff..(even NIB) So if it were me and I was looking at selling it for 200-300 bucks, I'd probably just run it... Stock up on some diffs and basic spares. And put an LRP engine in it...

The nitro RC used market world is still totally, completely stupid. The companies discontinue stuff faster and faster to come out with some new "updated" version, and nobody wants to pay good for money for an older model, even in tip top or ever new shape... So for me for ex., I would think twice about even buying whatever is current. Because it won't be around in a year or two either... There must be a fair bit of Savage stuff still out there...
Old 04-20-2020, 01:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I think you have to weigh that question against what you think you could sell it for now?

In the US, who knows.. Maybe somebody would pay good money. I would think though there isn't much of a market for old nitro stuff..(even NIB) So if it were me and I was looking at selling it for 200-300 bucks, I'd probably just run it... Stock up on some diffs and basic spares. And put an LRP engine in it...

The nitro RC used market world is still totally, completely stupid. The companies discontinue stuff faster and faster to come out with some new "updated" version, and nobody wants to pay good for money for an older model, even in tip top or ever new shape... So for me for ex., I would think twice about even buying whatever is current. Because it won't be around in a year or two either... There must be a fair bit of Savage stuff still out there...
True. Truly if HPI isn't willing to come out with new vehicles or support their existing ones then I truly do hope the savage gets a clone. I really want to see continued support for this truck.
I decided to keep the truck. It's a really great truck and I'd miss it if I sold it.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Troopermaniac View Post
the point of the question was is it a good idea to run a truck that soon will not have parts available to repair it.
Yes, I know. It's still the same basic question and the criteria I suggested for determining an answer are also the same; only the specifics are different. Considering you may not be able to fix the truck if it breaks, do you want to run the truck or not? This is not a rational decision you're attempting to make, it's an emotional decision. Will the fun of running the truck be outweighed by the frustration and disappointment if you can't fix it, or will you still be glad you ran the truck while you had the opportunity? Nobody can answer that for you. I suggest again, put the truck in storage for a few weeks and see if you miss it; if that doesn't help you make a decision, flip a coin and see if you agree with the decision the coin makes for you.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Everybody keeps saying put an Lrp in it, I donít disagree but run the 5.9 first till it goes trust me itís a fun engine . I know from experience!!!! Then if you still have it then put an lrp
Old 04-20-2020, 02:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by biglor View Post
Everybody keeps saying put an Lrp in it, I donít disagree but run the 5.9 first till it goes trust me itís a fun engine . I know from experience!!!! Then if you still have it then put an lrp
absolutely will do. I'm drooling to get this 5.9 broken in fully. Too bad I'm stuck in first gear and stripped the grub screw in the 3rd gear clutch. W/e $30 fix but there was so much more to this beast then I thought there was after running it for the first time.
biglor likes this.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

Just remember that 5.9 will last a lot longer if you take your time breaking it in, check its temperature often, and avoid overheating it. From personal experience it also helps to open the engine after the first run and use cotton swabs to wipe the internal surfaces to clean out any metal particles that got scraped off after the first run.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.