Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Is it worth running a savage xl 5.9? >

Is it worth running a savage xl 5.9?

Like Tree2Likes

Is it worth running a savage xl 5.9?

Old 04-20-2020, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Keep it man. I feel it was and still is the best big block nitro truck out there. Only down fall is the pull start only if someone could figure out to make it a bump box it would be bad $#%. I have one ripped the 5.9 out replaced it with a p3 Picco blue head with flames and modded with Ercm pipe side bleed 17/47 or 20/47 0.9 or 1.0 springs and she sings to me but now I have the nov 28/8 modded a monster. But these days I may pull her out every couple of months just to put some fuel through her. But she is trophy piece now. Have broke a coupe of pull starts so it get frustrating so I just look at her for the most part.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

41032 header of course
Old 04-21-2020, 03:17 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't know a thing about nitro. But I will say this...after running all the new bashers (Arrma Notorious, Traxxas MAXX, Tekno MT410), nothing beats the Savage. It is a bitch to work on...but it is a beast!
Old 05-08-2020, 06:39 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm glad you guys talked me into keeping it. I've stopped by my LHS and as of Monday they started stocking HPI again, literally saw a brand new in the box savage X 4.6 on the shelf with a bunch of parts behind the desk. With that said there wasnt an xl nitro body in stock but I said screw it and picked it up the flux version. Here she is in all her glory

I made a mistake though and bought an engine guard for the x and not the XL so I'm sort of trying to figure out a way to mount it because XL parts are still hard to find.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Enjoy.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lighttravler View Post
Keep it man. I feel it was and still is the best big block nitro truck out there. Only down fall is the pull start only if someone could figure out to make it a bump box it would be bad $#%. I have one ripped the 5.9 out replaced it with a p3 Picco blue head with flames and modded with Ercm pipe side bleed 17/47 or 20/47 0.9 or 1.0 springs and she sings to me but now I have the nov 28/8 modded a monster. But these days I may pull her out every couple of months just to put some fuel through her. But she is trophy piece now. Have broke a coupe of pull starts so it get frustrating so I just look at her for the most part.
I don't know how people manage to break pullstarts. I haven't had to replace a pullstart on any of my nitros in 5 years. One-way bearings sometimes fail after a year or two, but the pullstarts themselves are holding up great.

Assuming you aren't getting angry and ripping the cord loose, I'm starting to think it's not actually the pullstarting that breaks the pullstarter, but the sudden backlash when the engine stops. Most pullstarters have rigid plastic stems between the spool and the pullstart handle, and most of the rest have very stiff rubber stems. A couple years ago the rigid plastic stem on one of my pullstarters cracked into pieces, so I pulled out about a foot of cord and clamped some pliers around it so it wouldn't retract, then I disassembled the pullstart handle and replaced the broken plastic stem with a couple inches of fuel tubing. After doing that, I noticed when the engine stalled the fuel-tubing handle would be compressed significantly by the backlash, so the fuel tubing was absorbing a pretty large shock. I decided to modify all my other pullstarts the same way, and they're all still working great years later.

Pic for reference:
Old 05-09-2020, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had pull start issues with newer engines sometimes the pinch is strong so I just loosen the plug a hair when I was breaking in so I didnít have to pull so hard and once it warmed up it was fine