Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Team losi lst project >

Team losi lst project

Like Tree68Likes

Team losi lst project

Old 07-03-2020, 03:35 PM
  #226  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snowman49 View Post
i believe those are there in case you need them for your outdrives themselves if necessary i havent needed any shimming there, and i didnt notice any there from factory but i also dont have the HD ones if that changes anything.
awesome thanks for the information man. Iím gonna Build up the differential tonight, order some lst2 axles, and get everything ready for the lst2 conversion(arms, knuckles, driveshafts and axles, lst2 wheels and tires) and i should theoretically have an almost bulletproof set up with this built, heavy duty Diff plus the lst2 set up. Canít wait to get started
snowman49 likes this.
Losi215 is offline  
Old 07-06-2020, 02:49 PM
  #227  
Tech Adept
 
snowman49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 217
Default

nice! yeah pretty sure i am going to be swapping to LST2 axles/arms etc when one of my LST1 ones break, bit harder to find the LST1 ones, and why not for extra strength.
snowman49 is offline  
Old 07-06-2020, 05:31 PM
  #228  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snowman49 View Post
nice! yeah pretty sure i am going to be swapping to LST2 axles/arms etc when one of my LST1 ones break, bit harder to find the LST1 ones, and why not for extra strength.
exactly my thoughts too, why not? I want to make mine as reliable and strong as can be. I literally love this truck, sit and stare at it everyday planning my next mod in search of reliability for my ďhardcore, drive in a straight line and slowly turn it around, parking lot session bashing goalsĒ lol!
Losi215 is offline  
Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 PM
  #229  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Got my heavy duty differential built:




Specifications:

Losi aluminum diff housing with locktighed screws
New losi 8x 10 bearings all the way around
New ring and pinion
New spiders gears
Heavy duty differential case
Heavy duty hardened outdrives
White lithium grease on ring, pinion, and outdrives
7000 weight diff fluid( all the hobby shop had, figured itís better then just pure grease)

This is the first diff Iíve ever broke into, and built. Seems to spin flawlessly, one strange thing is that I didnít need to use a single shim(besides the thick one that goes between two bearings on the pinion gear shaft) on the outdrives, or the ring gear area. Nothing binds, and it doesnít feel too ďlooseĒ or too tight either. I know every part is machined and made to slightly different tolerances, But is that in the realm of possibility to not have to shima diff built with all new parts? I tried adding one 13 mm shim to the ring gear/ bearing side, and once assembled the diff unit was so tight I couldnít hardly turn the outdrives so I took it out. Anyway, I think my diff is good to go, and should hold up to the gentle thrashing I plan on giving this truck. Thanks for looking everyone, have a great evening.
Losi215 is offline  
Old 07-07-2020, 03:57 PM
  #230  
Tech Adept
 
snowman49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 217
Default

Originally Posted by Losi215 View Post
exactly my thoughts too, why not? I want to make mine as reliable and strong as can be. I literally love this truck, sit and stare at it everyday planning my next mod in search of reliability for my ďhardcore, drive in a straight line and slowly turn it around, parking lot session bashing goalsĒ lol!
exactly, extra strength, and not really any more expensive than replacing with stock parts anyways.
they are a definitely a truck that really deserves admiration for their construction and engineering,

man thats a nice looking diff! it is possible to not have to shim, have had the weird occasion where that happens, very few times, but it does happen.
as long as there is no binding, and as little play as you can get.
snowman49 is offline  
Old 07-07-2020, 07:20 PM
  #231  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snowman49 View Post
exactly, extra strength, and not really any more expensive than replacing with stock parts anyways.
they are a definitely a truck that really deserves admiration for their construction and engineering,

man thats a nice looking diff! it is possible to not have to shim, have had the weird occasion where that happens, very few times, but it does happen.
as long as there is no binding, and as little play as you can get.
alright thanks for the information man, Iím going to assume my diff is correctly assembled then.. it feels and looks good at least. And yes this truck is incredible. It feels good to have a classic, weird to think that in 4 years these lstís will be 20 years old or so. Excellent trucks, and as IĎVe worked on it, I realized itís super well built and easy to work on in the grand scheme of things.


Losi215 is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 03:02 PM
  #232  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys here is a video of the lst up and running. I apologize for the delay and hope you enjoy
snowman49 likes this.
Losi215 is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 10:45 PM
  #233  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,299
Default

Nice! Looks good.. Weird to see and hear a nitro after running my brushless trucks so much recently. Might have to go get mine out..
Herrsavage is offline  
Old 07-12-2020, 12:50 PM
  #234  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Nice! Looks good.. Weird to see and hear a nitro after running my brushless trucks so much recently. Might have to go get mine out..
hey thanks buddy, appreciate it. Got it set up pretty good I feel like. . Take out the nitro man! I will say though, my fiancť found an exceed madbash 1/8 scale electric short course truck for 10 bucks(no joke) and ended up selling it to her brother. Anyway, I drove it on 4s and I cannot believe the power the thing had. So fast, ripping through the grass like nothing. It was my first time ever driving a brushless lip set up.Super smooth too. I get electric, I didnít before but now I understand the appeal. I will never, ever stop running nitro, but when my pullstart basically quit recoiling halfway through my losi lst run today(truck still ran great and I have a replacement already), stuff like that certainly could lead me to have a nice decent electric truck to just run, no fuss and no tinkering.
Losi215 is offline  
Old 07-14-2020, 11:13 AM
  #235  
Tech Adept
 
snowman49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 217
Default

Originally Posted by Losi215 View Post
Hey guys here is a video of the lst up and running. I apologize for the delay and hope you enjoy
https://youtu.be/ZRLwQqZ_JzE
that truck looks like its running great! glad to see you able to take it out and run it, pretty damn fast, that engine definitely screams and gets that truck moving.
brushless is definitely fun, and the ease of it is definitely nice, but to me it just feels like its missing something. great for nitro downtime though, and when you only have a few minutes, or need to mind the volume lol
definitely looking forward to seeing more vids of it man!
snowman49 is offline  
Old 07-14-2020, 11:24 AM
  #236  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,299
Default

I got my first brushless truck - an MT4 G3 - probably five years ago. I always just ran it on 4S, and honestly it felt pretty fast and I was always happy with its speed. But yes, I always preferred the thrill of nitro.. And I still do. I can have fun in a parking lot with a nitro - not so much with a brushless...

I must say though, going to 6S is a whole other ballgame... It's pretty mental. Just keeping it straight on a narrow road is a kind of exhilerating challenge..(you punch the throttle, see the tires pizza out, and you kind of just hold on and hope it goes sort of straight.. ) So far I guess the Kraton is holding up pretty well... Back in the day I was always worried 6S would just blow up drivetrains. Now, even if the power doesn't destroy it from the inside out, the degree of carnage in the event of a crash at WOT would be significantly higher...

I used to argue about nitro vs. electric a lot - but I think I just let myself get baited by people who complained about nitro in the wrong way.. Now I'm more laid back about it - both are fun... But yes, electric is easier for a quick scratch of an itchy throttle finger...
Herrsavage is offline  
Old 07-14-2020, 06:34 PM
  #237  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snowman49 View Post
that truck looks like its running great! glad to see you able to take it out and run it, pretty damn fast, that engine definitely screams and gets that truck moving.
brushless is definitely fun, and the ease of it is definitely nice, but to me it just feels like its missing something. great for nitro downtime though, and when you only have a few minutes, or need to mind the volume lol
definitely looking forward to seeing more vids of it man!
thanks man appreciate it. This thing is fast, definitely has more top end then my losi 8ight truggy for sure. Iím afraid to beat the hell out of it until I Install the new rear diff and do the lst2 conversion lol. Probably going to install a new pullstart on it later tonight since Iím having issues with mine. Itís actually been funky since the moment I first started it, sometimes it recoils and sometimes it doesnít. With patience Iíve always gotten it started but still, I should have gotten a roto start version but itís all good. Just got red rc raven dual rate springs in today too, might install them later tonight. Iíll be sure to post more whenever I get the chance!
snowman49 likes this.
Losi215 is offline  
Old 07-15-2020, 02:30 PM
  #238  
Tech Adept
 
snowman49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 217
Default

definitely let me know how you like them shocks man! curious on something with that pullstart, if you back off the screws like 1/4 to 1/2 turn or so, does it recoil then? wondering if the knot in the string is rubbing against the backplate. or pinching the OWB or spool.
definitely looking forward ot updates!
snowman49 is offline  
Old 07-15-2020, 05:14 PM
  #239  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snowman49 View Post
definitely let me know how you like them shocks man! curious on something with that pullstart, if you back off the screws like 1/4 to 1/2 turn or so, does it recoil then? wondering if the knot in the string is rubbing against the backplate. or pinching the OWB or spool.
definitely looking forward ot updates!
thats crazy you bring that up. I was actually thinking of that last night. I ordered a new pullstart a few weeks ago and didnít even check the bolts. Iím gonna try that right now
Losi215 is offline  
Old 07-15-2020, 07:27 PM
  #240  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Losi215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys so Iím doing some maintenance on my truck, specifically the thrust bearing and washers and stuff for the slipper clutch. Anyway, the thrust washer(little tiny black circle with 7 tiny tiny silver balls in it). Does it matter which direction it faces? It looks different from the front and the back slightly, and Iím not sure which direction it goes. Thanks in advance
Losi215 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.