Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Team losi lst project >

Team losi lst project

Like Tree34Likes

Team losi lst project

Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

hey man found this on ebay, missing 2 axles, but has mostly everything you would need to convert to LST2 arms.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-2035-F...EAAOSwmFdewZXK
Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by snowman49 View Post
hey man found this on ebay, missing 2 axles, but has mostly everything you would need to convert to LST2 arms.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-2035-F...EAAOSwmFdewZXK
dude we must be in the same wavelength, was just looking at that listing lol! Not sure if I told you or not but I actually have all 4 lst2 arms and hubs completely with bearings, purchased from a prior listing. It also came with a dynamite tuned pipe, slightly better condition header then mine, all bottom skids, random screws, bulkheads, and I believe all the hinge pins I would need. Or at least most of them. Gotta check on that. Only thing I believe I would need would be the driveshafts, axles, and 20mm hex set(or 17mm) good find though brother thank you. might just scoop it up anyway for the axles and hexes alone...at least Iíd be half way there.

edit: buying this tomorrow, didnít realize it had all 4 driveshafts, and was just missing two axles. I use ďaxleĒ and ďdriveshaftĒ interchangeably but they are not the same haha

Last edited by Losi215; 05-20-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, not much action on the lst lately. But I did have a little something come in:

Nova .28 tuned by an Italian guy name Ielasi. This one is a 3 port as opposed to the 28-8port model. I figured this would be a little more tame and controllable, but I literally canít find a single review or feedback on this engine. So Iím taking a gamble and hope it works out better then my prior experience

Quick question for you fine folks... in terms of the high speed needle housing( not the needle itself but the brass fitting in which it resides), does the fuel nipple banjo hole have to line up perfectly with the brass high speed housing hole when changing location of the fuel banjo? This carb comes installed the opposite orientation needed for the LST, I already switched it, I already replaced the aluminum high speed needle washers that seal the banjo and housing together, and to the carb( a must when changing banjo placement per novarossi). Am I overthinking things? I must be because I donít see how you would even have the ability to move the fuel nipple banjo for each particular vehicle application if it only had one correct orientation. I hope this question makes sense. canít wait to try this again. I didnít realize this engine had a long low speed needle, which apparently tunes completely different then a short low speed needle carb. Found a group of youtubers struggling to get tunes on their 28-8 truggy motor and other long low speed needle nova; they all literally had the exact same issues i was having, to a tee. Wish me luck guys , hopefully break in on Saturday.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

the banjo fitting is hollow, you can rotate it however you like. it will fill and act pneumatically pressured no matter the orientation.
in the FB group im in one or two of the guys love thoseLelasi tuned engines, but the ones they were talking about were small blocks.
check out: Ielasi Tuned USA on FB if you have one.
not a clue on long needle carbs though man sorry.
sucks to hear others are having that issue, hope it was just a bad batch.
i have re-used those washers with good luck, but typically very little to no use at the time.
(did fine on one or two that were used a bit before i had removed them, but if possible i would swap them.)
really hope that engine works out for you so you can actually enjoy your truck.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Losi215 View Post
dude we must be in the same wavelength, was just looking at that listing lol! Not sure if I told you or not but I actually have all 4 lst2 arms and hubs completely with bearings, purchased from a prior listing. It also came with a dynamite tuned pipe, slightly better condition header then mine, all bottom skids, random screws, bulkheads, and I believe all the hinge pins I would need. Or at least most of them. Gotta check on that. Only thing I believe I would need would be the driveshafts, axles, and 20mm hex set(or 17mm) good find though brother thank you. might just scoop it up anyway for the axles and hexes alone...at least Iíd be half way there.

edit: buying this tomorrow, didnít realize it had all 4 driveshafts, and was just missing two axles. I use ďaxleĒ and ďdriveshaftĒ interchangeably but they are not the same haha
that is really funny! glad you were able to find a good parts lot! extra parts are never a bad thing. though still have yet to break an a-arm, though im also using an engine with less power.
wow i guess i should have looked at the next picture XD the driveshafts were hiding lol.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:37 AM
Tech Adept

the banjo fitting is hollow, you can rotate it however you like. it will fill and act pneumatically pressured no matter the orientation.
in the FB group im in one or two of the guys love thoseLelasi tuned engines, but the ones they were talking about were small blocks.
check out: Ielasi Tuned USA on FB if you have one.
not a clue on long needle carbs though man sorry.
sucks to hear others are having that issue, hope it was just a bad batch.
i have re-used those washers with good luck, but typically very little to no use at the time.
(did fine on one or two that were used a bit before i had removed them, but if possible i would swap them.)
really hope that engine works out for you so you can actually enjoy your truck.
alright buddy thank you for the info. I figured I was over thinking the banjo orientation. And Iím glad to hear about the washers being reusable. I figured if they were unused, they would be fine to use again after tightening and setting the fuel nipple banjo position. Luckily, novarossi includes two spares so I just reinstalled the new ones, and saved the original washers just in case. In terms of the low speed needle design, itís not really a flaw, and from what I gather they just tune differently then any other sport engine or even a race grade engine. Most carbs have short low speed needles, that pull completely out of the throttle slide at say 50 percent throttle. The long low speed needle design never actually pulls completely out of the throttle slide, and to make it even more confusing the low speed is apparently responsible for fuel duties almost up to 75% throttle or more, and has a direct impact on the high speed needle setting. From what I gather, Iím supposed to set the low speed first, then barely lean the high speed needle after setting the low. Then after all that I go back and fine tune the idle speed needle to get a steady, consistent idle. Most engines(and the way I always tunes), requires you to set the high speed needle first, dial in the low speed second, then just fine tune your idle screw after all those are set. Basically, your supposed to tune this engine backwards which has been throwing everyone through a loop. Not sure why they would make a pull start/truggy engine with such a backwards, complicated carb design that completely reverses the standard tuning principles, but they did. Everyone on YouTube has made strides though in tuning the low speed first, getting a nice steady(but high as well) idle, then lowering the idle screw a touch, then tuning the high speed beedle(barely since nova likes rich high speed needle settings, almost flush with the high speed housing), and then after setting that they revisit the low speed, since leaning the high will 100% lean your previously set low speed needle, since they are literally always ďconnectedĒ in the throttle slide. Thanks for the kind words man, i have way more faith this time getting this engine tuned now that I know how I have to tune it. And also, hopefully it doesnít blow oil out of the head button, I know that was an issue with my previous engine, and this engine seems to have a different head button, and cooling head then the other at first glance. Wish me luck
snowman49 likes this.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

long needle novas are the easiest engines to tune IMO set the high speed so its close, adjust the lsn until the idle is stable for 30 seconds but you still get a pile of smoke when you clean it out after that 30 seconds. and re adjust the hsn slightly. from there it should only be 1 or two hours you will need to tune the motor unless either the temp or elevation changes drastically. the only engines nova makes that use a short needle carb are the onroad motors and stuff like the karma.
set the idle gap to about 0.7mm the hsn to 1/4 to half turn in from flush and the lsn 1-1.5 turns in from flush and go from there
Old 05-22-2020, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
long needle novas are the easiest engines to tune IMO set the high speed so its close, adjust the lsn until the idle is stable for 30 seconds but you still get a pile of smoke when you clean it out after that 30 seconds. and re adjust the hsn slightly. from there it should only be 1 or two hours you will need to tune the motor unless either the temp or elevation changes drastically. the only engines nova makes that use a short needle carb are the onroad motors and stuff like the karma.
set the idle gap to about 0.7mm the hsn to 1/4 to half turn in from flush and the lsn 1-1.5 turns in from flush and go from there
awesome haulingbass, thank you so much for the info. So generally, Iím still going to start with the HSN and then move on to the low speed, afterwards revisiting the Hsn ? And Iím about to start break in on my engine this weekend, my needles are set from the factory( both flush which Iím assuming will have it running insanely rich). Should I lean them out a bit per your instructions before running in? Or wait until after break in. I obviously know not to start tuning my engine like crazy during break in, but will the factory settings be too rich?

Last edited by Losi215; 05-22-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Nova installed.

Another angle.

.28 3 port sleeve. Iím hoping that it will be a little more tame then an equivalent 28-8 port. Really trying to just enjoy this truck and rip it back and forth on the street or some grass. Even though itís kind of been a pain in the behind, I would hate to see this beauty become damaged in any way.

If you look at the fuel line, I installed a Traxxas fiberglass heat shield in between the line and the engine mount. Not sure if itís going to do anything, but in my original set up a few weeks ago, I just had the fuel line sitting right next to the engine mount unprotected. Started thinking more about it and, well...Iím pretty sure that wasnít helping in my previous engine trying to get it tuned and such. This was before I had noticed the defective head button but still.

Anyway, super excited to retry things with this engine. Iím still 99.9 sure my other engine had a defective headbutton that was a major source of my Woes, and I fully expect this one to seal properly. During this whole saga, Iíve replaced numerous parts including a brand new NOS fuel tank, new losi fuel tubing, basically all new transmission with the forward only conversion, new output shaft, greased with white lithium grease, brand new spurs, brand new high and low speed hubs with bearings, fiberglass heat shield for fuel tubing,and brand new avid exhaust gaskets. I feel much more prepared, and I feel the truck overall is in much better shape then before. Weather is supposed to be garbage this weekend, but if for some reason itís sunny for 3-4 hours and it dries up enough, I will do the first break in tank. Thanks again to all you nitro heads. Take care
snowman49 likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Hello there everyone. So not many updates, I did start break in on my new novarossi last Saturday. I ran 4 sessions at three minutes a piece with a head wrap. Temps were between 200 and 210. I preheated the engine each time, and put it at bottom dead center each to heat cycle it and cool down. Everything went very well, I can tell this engine is going to be completely different then my other one. Something was seriously wrong with the other engine, and I feel better knowing my tuning skills were not that bad and it must have been those terrible leaks causing the previous engine to run so erratically.

anyway quick question for you guys. I have a brand new reds 2104 tuned pipe Iím thinking about installing. Do you guys think it would be a decent match for the novarossi, or at least better then the stock losi lst2 pipe I have on? Also, the pressure nipple on this reds is in the opposite direction of the factory pipe, is that going to be a problem or would I just have to make my pressure line an inch longer or so to account for the opposite direction in which it would be attatched? Thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

I wouldn't bother. Wait til you've got the engine broken in and see how it goes with the stock pipe... That would be my advice...

I always kind of thought the stock pipe was quite good, and that the weird LST header might reduce or diminish any advantages of running other pipes.. Though the JP-4 I put on mine goes quite well I must say...

ps I am assuming you have the HD pipe from the LST2? The Aftershock pipe was notoriously poor... Not sure what the LST1 had...
Old 05-26-2020, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I wouldn't bother. Wait til you've got the engine broken in and see how it goes with the stock pipe... That would be my advice...

I always kind of thought the stock pipe was quite good, and that the weird LST header might reduce or diminish any advantages of running other pipes.. Though the JP-4 I put on mine goes quite well I must say...

ps I am assuming you have the HD pipe from the LST2? The Aftershock pipe was notoriously poor... Not sure what the LST1 had...
Thats what I heard too man. I am running the decent HD pipe. or losi sport pipe, not the terrible looking Aftershock pipe that everyone got rid of back in the day. Everything seems to be fine with my stock pipe and I have read the crazy header really does diminish any gains from aftermarket pipes. Iíve also though about ordering the novarossi 41017 on road header to get a little better performance out of the nova once itís broken in. Honestly the only reason I even brought up about a possible pipe change was because I sort of got paranoid that my stock pipe might be clogged with oil in the pressure nipple. Like I said, the new engine has been running so much better at this point but I did notice moderate oil build up in the pressure line, and started thinking there might be a back pressure problem that that caused my original nova 28-8 to run so badly and spew oil out of the head. Sorry for rambling, Iím probably overthinking things and should just run the stock pipe, which is most likely perfectly fine.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Losi215 View Post
Hello there everyone. So not many updates, I did start break in on my new novarossi last Saturday. I ran 4 sessions at three minutes a piece with a head wrap. Temps were between 200 and 210. I preheated the engine each time, and put it at bottom dead center each to heat cycle it and cool down. Everything went very well, I can tell this engine is going to be completely different then my other one. Something was seriously wrong with the other engine, and I feel better knowing my tuning skills were not that bad and it must have been those terrible leaks causing the previous engine to run so erratically.

anyway quick question for you guys. I have a brand new reds 2104 tuned pipe Iím thinking about installing. Do you guys think it would be a decent match for the novarossi, or at least better then the stock losi lst2 pipe I have on? Also, the pressure nipple on this reds is in the opposite direction of the factory pipe, is that going to be a problem or would I just have to make my pressure line an inch longer or so to account for the opposite direction in which it would be attatched? Thanks in advance
glad it is going so much smoother for you, and not chasing your tail on a tune/break in.
i am unsure of that pipe, i do agree though i would run with stock get the feel for it, then try swapping the pipe and see if it runs better or has a better feel than the stock.
the LST1 had a more standard "Tuned" pipe, not quite like the LST2, shape was very similar,
LST1 Pipe:
Losi: Tuned Pipe: LST, LST2, AFT, MGB: Losi (LOSB5055)
LST2 pipe there is a little stamp in white letters that should say "HT" for "high torque" on it at the bottom right corner of the badging:
Losi: HT Tuned Pipe: LST2, AFT: Losi (LOSB5059)

so far i have not yet had a "HT" pipe, only the LST1 pipes, so far no complaints, i want to compare it to my Jammin JP-3 pipe though as far as power comparison.
my JP-3 does have the pressure inlet the opposite direction too, i just used a longer pipe and there is a 180* bend to go back to the tank. little looser install than id like, but didn't seem to cause issues.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

glad it is going so much smoother for you, and not chasing your tail on a tune/break in.
i am unsure of that pipe, i do agree though i would run with stock get the feel for it, then try swapping the pipe and see if it runs better or has a better feel than the stock.
the LST1 had a more standard "Tuned" pipe, not quite like the LST2, shape was very similar,
LST1 Pipe:
Losi: Tuned Pipe: LST, LST2, AFT, MGB: Losi (LOSB5055)
LST2 pipe there is a little stamp in white letters that should say "HT" for "high torque" on it at the bottom right corner of the badging:
Losi: HT Tuned Pipe: LST2, AFT: Losi (LOSB5059)

so far i have not yet had a "HT" pipe, only the LST1 pipes, so far no complaints, i want to compare it to my Jammin JP-3 pipe though as far as power comparison.
my JP-3 does have the pressure inlet the opposite direction too, i just used a longer pipe and there is a 180* bend to go back to the tank. little looser install than id like, but didn't seem to cause issues.
thanks man itís a good feeling. I still have it super rich obviously, it idles longer right off the rip then my other engine was able to idle through 4 tanks of break in. Iím glad that mini nightmare is a thing of the past. Thank you for the info on the pipes, I was mistaken then in My previous post and I definitely have the LST1 pipe, which always looked pretty good to me. I might just get a novarossi header after break in, my thoughts on that is that Iíve heard the novarossi is timed quite a bit higher then a standard rtr engine of most brands. I always heard the stock header at least really holds back the performance and possibly even the tune from becoming as good as it can be. I will say that I am pleased so far with the factory set up, Iíll get through break in and reevaluate from their. Thanks again for the information snowman and herrsavage you guys rock
snowman49 likes this.