Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Snowman's LST1 #2 >

Snowman's LST1 #2

Snowman's LST1 #2

Old 02-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Snowman's LST1 #2

Hello everyone, recently took on another project and wanted to do a build write up on it.
on one of the FB RC groups I'm on i ran into a gentleman that had a bunch of parts to build a Losi LST, and being that i have 2 of mostly all my other Nitro trucks i decided i wanted to continue with that.

he had a slider or pretty much bags of parts, given i really enjoy the build process, i decided to go for the parts and to build up as if it were a kit.
received the parts, and got to work cleaning the pieces:

after assessing what all i would need next i started putting it together, most of the items are mocked up at this point, there were a few pieces that i needed to hold things together, and i have very few screws at the moment. for now i have my old HPI S25 engine mocked up on it, compression is low on the engine, so i am kind of torn on what to do with it.
either
A) send out to get a repinching service on it,
B) find new piston /sleeve, and bearings and rebuild,
C) get a new engine entirely, thinking maybe a "Big Red", Dynamite .26 mach 2 "truggy", possibly if i can afford it, a Novarossi legend 28, or maybe even try to find a Losi/Dynamite Mach .26 from the original. (other ideas/recommendations welcome.)
it has been a really really long time since I've ran that engine (13 years give or take?), and dont honestly know how much power those had or really much of anything, i got it on my first MGT, and realized the compression was weak early on so got a new one engine and put this in storage.

ordered some of the chassis parts when i had received it.

for some reason my parts bag was missing a single hinge pin brace, but really not too worried about it, my LHS has a parts bag with that piece in stock, and the parts bag had a bunch of other pieces that i was missing, and was a really cheap buy.

Got everything that i could installed at the time. screws came in about a week after, ordered a bulk buy from Ace lol, using as much Metric as possible, bought a 3mm tap and die set as i need it to convert from 4-40 thread to 3mm.

at the moment i have 14mm hexes on the truck/slider, but i do also have a set of 17mm adapters for my MGT that may work with shims, problem is i have nothing of the 17mm variety.
i have the losi 420 series kingpins and TL dish rims on my other LST, i think those are what came on the muggy, and seem to do well, that mach .26 rips them around anyways.
i dont mind the look of the stock losi LST, and LST2 tires, but looking at them all i can think is "those things have got to be heavy"
going to be using some 40 series big joes for now, initially only had a set of v-tread t-maxx wheels tires, until i decide if i want to go pin type or stick with the Big Joes.got the upper hinge pin brace from my LHS, a stub axle, some misc hardware (5-40 screws are a PITA to find), and some clutch shoes and springs for the clutchbell. its really weird being able to get parts ordered through my LHS like the shock hardware set and steering bellcrank assembly, instead of everything being online only or NOS if they have it.

ordered the flywheel kit (i had the flywheel with the purchase, but did not receive the nut), the missing turnbuckle, and the throttle brake linkage.
down to needing:
- diffs front
- servos (for now going to be using a Hitec HS645mg, might be ordering a second if i feel i need it (stock servos are only 85oz/in torque and with two of them really pull the wheels around.)
- wanting to upgrade to RC Raven Springs probably order 2 sets.
found a transmission online for quite cheap, it included everything on it, including the FOC, Brake assembly, and 2 speed/slipper assembly. was kinda cool because it had the TiNi Gears on it, but they are pretty rusted. will probably put plastic spurs on it as i dont seem to have problems with the stock ones, and i wont have to get the TiNi clutchbell as well. kind of cool to have though imo!

down to only needing a few parts,gear covers, front differential. my LHS has an assembled one i believe for right around 50$, and i can buy a aluminum case for it, (still have a plastic case from when i swapped my other LSTs diff case out to Alu. after i broke one). or i could go to Jenny's RC and get one with driveshaft and case for right around the same price, but not supporting locally...
i do already have a driveshaft, but a spare would be nice.

side note: the one diff i did buy online through ebay (think it came from an RC chop shop as it was brand new) was really tight, i noticed as soon as i got it, so i tore it down but even with the shimms pushing the teeth away from each other as far as possible, it is still tight. bearings are good, just can't space the mesh far enough, hoping it might "break in" and loosen up maybe?
pretty worried about that.

for now i am also probably just going to run it 2wd, life is kinda preventing buying a new front diff at this time.
ordering some more FlySky receivers before long, so i can at least get that all tested and trimmed, probably gonna rob from one of my others for now though.

Thanks for following along!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

new receiver should be in tomorrow, ended up getting about 4-5 inches of snow, so dont know if im going to be able to run it right away or not, cant run right at my house anymore, might be able to at work though.
might have a lead on a HPI 4.6 engine that may be getting transplanted into this in lieu of the HPI .25.
hoping to have electronics set up tomorrow!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

receiver came in last night.
test fitted the first servo, had to sand down the servo mounts to get the servos to fit beneath the steering bellcranks, they clear now but are very close and i think do touch, so might send down some more. (sanded down .5-.75mm already.)
tested the electronics and noted the single Hitec HS645 servo might not be quite enough, i was on carpet though with PL Big Joes, so kind of skewed results, but then also realized i had another Hitec HS645mg in one of my evaders, ended up pulling that one out of that truck for now, and repairing one of my other servos that had chewed wires and put that back in the evader for now (shortened the wires too so not miles of wire in the RX box.)

need a servo splitter cable now to test, and trying to figure out linkage, might just need to bite the bullet and get the OEM style linkage, but will see if it will work how i have it now.
worried about un-synchronized servos fighting each other.
I did order a 20kg 0.14sec/60Degree servo along with a few more RXs off amazon i might swap in and revert back to single servo steering depending how much i like the new servo and if it seems to be fast/strong enough. might swap my Hitec HS645s over to my other LST with OEM linkages and see how i like that. depending on accuracy of the amazon listing, will be similar specs between the two different setups. i really dont trust cheap electronics though, so this will be my first experience with cheap servos. supposed to be around 30$, but was on sale for 18$. time will tell.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

was able to get the Y-harness last night for the servo, hooked it up, then set my horns on the servos and surprisingly only had to one of the links one full turn and no binding/fighting among the servos. seems to be plenty of power now with dual Hitec HS645s! should be 260oz/in torque.

i am using true servo horns in lieu of the servo savers, and using traxxas turnbuckle ends shortened down with a 15mm long grub screw threaded between them on both bellcranks. seems to be a really sturdy setup, very little play etc. i did get some items to make one more easily adjustable if need be but as the servos are not fighting at the moment i think it should be ok.

will try to get a picture.

i actually didn't have any standard servo horns, so i used an X-horn, and cut off 3 sides of the X. needs a little cleanup but hoping this works for now.

still need to swap spur gears though, dont want to mess up the clutchbell from the hardened spurs.

now just to wait on the weather to clear up a little and then can take it for a test run.