Traxxas Maxx 1/10th 4WD monster truck >

Traxxas Maxx 1/10th 4WD monster truck

Like Tree41Likes

Traxxas Maxx 1/10th 4WD monster truck

Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Its stoutness is what sold me on it. Those shocks and a-arms are no joke.
Iím definitely considering it now a bit more.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Traxxas tells me it will do 40 on 3S with stock gearing. I am sure parts would last a lot longer on 3S.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

I'm sure they would too. But if I believe the rednecks on the Traxxas forums, you're not a man if you don't completely smash your truck to pieces on every run. I think they may have anger issues.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

Iím definitely considering it now a bit more.
Don't you already have a X-Maxx? What would be the point of getting the same truck in a smaller size?
Old 10-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Don't you already have a X-Maxx? What would be the point of getting the same truck in a smaller size?
Really have to ask.

I had the Savage Flux and and Savage XS.
Erevo and 1/16 revo.
Actually I have 2 XMaxx.

Iím not rushing to buy. Store should have gotten them in this afternoon. Store still has my deposit from the Arrma truck. Iím going to hold off on that possibility till spring. So Iíve basically got over 1/2 truck paid for.

Iím very curious how the Max will work. Will a scaled down version have similar issues, or could this be something. Thereís a few vehicles Iím considering.

Once finish basement track. Then Iíll start to consider buying or using that deposit on multiple small things. Other winter to try to learn soldering perhaps.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

I've always been disappointed with the performance of smaller-size versions of RCs I already own. However, since the X-Maxx is too large for me in the first place, I don't anticipate that happening with the Maxx. I have other things I have to buy first though, like a toddler car seat and Christmas presents.

Regarding soldering in general: Oxygen is your enemy. This is problematic since air is full of it. When in doubt, run the soldering iron too hot rather than too cold, so the soldering will happen faster with less time for the solder to oxidize; however, this will require holding the parts together longer while the solder cools and solidifies, so you'll want a glove on your off-hand to keep from burning yourself. Also, slather every solder joint with flux paste; when heated it will dissolve the oxidation off the metal surfaces, allowing the solder to adhere, and it also forms a physical barrier preventing fresh oxygen from touching the metal. You can clean off the flux with rubbing alcohol later. It really is one of those skills that seems so damn simple once you finally get it to work.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

I've always been disappointed with the performance of smaller-size versions of RCs I already own. However, since the X-Maxx is too large for me in the first place, I don't anticipate that happening with the Maxx. I have other things I have to buy first though, like a toddler car seat and Christmas presents.

Regarding soldering in general: Oxygen is your enemy. This is problematic since air is full of it. When in doubt, run the soldering iron too hot rather than too cold, so the soldering will happen faster with less time for the solder to oxidize; however, this will require holding the parts together longer while the solder cools and solidifies, so you'll want a glove on your off-hand to keep from burning yourself. Also, slather every solder joint with flux paste; when heated it will dissolve the oxidation off the metal surfaces, allowing the solder to adhere, and it also forms a physical barrier preventing fresh oxygen from touching the metal. You can clean off the flux with rubbing alcohol later. It really is one of those skills that seems so damn simple once you finally get it to work.
Iíve said that for few years about soldering. Itís one of those things that once you get it, it will seem easy. But till then itís just annoyingly fustrating.

Iíve still got my SavageXS. The larger Flux was just a parts destroyer.

Your other purchases are bit more important. And that selfish side has to be, or should be suppressed once kids are in the picture. Fortunately for me, I can still be on the selfish side.

Iím trying, and mostly succeeding, in being more rational about vehicle purchases. Few years ago Iíd have just bought everything I could.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Well I got it today. I think its going to be a blast. Wont have the Traxxas charger till about Tuesday or Wednesday so I just have to look at it until then.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

What a piece of crap! That thing looks like it couldn't even survive a dodecatuple-backflip off a 5-story building, much less the 10-story buildings that I jump all my RCs off of! This proves my RC dick is bigger than yours is!

Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-11-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

On a more serious note, that steering servo has a weird mounting setup. I've never seen a servo with mounting tabs like that before. Why do I suddenly get the feeling replacing the stock steering servo is going to be a huge pain?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On a more serious note, that steering servo has a weird mounting setup. I've never seen a servo with mounting tabs like that before. Why do I suddenly get the feeling replacing the stock steering servo is going to be a huge pain?
At about the 4:30 mark they go into servo replacement.

https://youtu.be/LzUC7c_R2G8
Old 10-12-2019, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

Ah, I see. I was hoping there was some trick that would carry over from the X-Maxx, but I've never examined an X-Maxx in-person except to look at the exterior, so I didn't know for sure if there was a ready-made solution.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Tech Rookie

I was full of hype and excitement when I first heard about the MAXX. But after looking it over at a LHS I can't bring myself to buy a 10lb 1/10th scale RC with plastic axles and such a small motor. I have already built a Monster 4x4 Slash with a Castle 1512 motor and Mamba Monster X esc but in a 5.5lb 1/10th scale. I like my RC activity to be more to scale so no need for me to have a vehicle I can send 20ft in the air. I am much happier watching others do it and pay the price. I admit it is an awesome looking vehicle and I will enjoy the youtube videos of it.

Last edited by zedorda; 10-13-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Why do you think it weighs 10 pounds? My aluminum-framed, steel-axled T-Maxx weighs less than 10 pounds. Also, if you're cool with building a vehicle to your custom specs, plastic axles should be no big deal. The aftermarket will probably have steel replacements within a month of the truck's launch.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM
Tech Rookie

The 10 lb figure came from traxxas website

the Maxx launch has divided opinions even on Traxxas forum. I think it will be one of those you can’t please everyone kind of thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service