Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Nitro Revo Steering >

Nitro Revo Steering

Nitro Revo Steering

Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Nitro Revo Steering

Finally got my throttle and steering servos, yet I'm running into a few issues.

1. I need a servo horn to fit my hitec 7955sh that isn't off my rustler and plastic, not to mention cut to fit

2. I'd have to check my endpoints but it seems that I can't turn to the left as much as I can to the right. I did go from a 2.5r chassis to the 3.3 chassis so I have the stock shorter chassis steering link, and it's set up for only 1 servo - could this be my problem?

3. I purchased a protek caliper to setup camber and what not, but am I supposed to do that with or without the tires on?

4. My pull start is a bit more difficult than I remember. If I remove the glow plug it becomes pullable but still very tight. Nevertheless, it's been sitting for a few years and want to make sure I cover my bases.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

1. Thereís lots of options in aluminum servo horns and thick plastic ď1/8Ē servo horns out there. Traxxas also has their own stock style servo horns with diferent splines for aftermarket servos.

2. The steering link (from servo horn to servo saver arm) is specific to the chassis with the 3.3 link being longer. The Traxxas manual for the Revo used to have the length in the instructions and manuals are available on the traxxas website. If you have a long enough screw just cut the head off and screw on some rod ends until itís the length specified in the manual instead of buying the turnbuckle style link that isnít needed because youíll never touch it again.

Heres what I recommend. Make your steering link to the length specified in the manual. If you have a Traxxas servo horn thatíll fit your servo just assemble the link to the horn, use sub trim until the servo saver arm is at 90 degrees to the chassis centerline. Your servo and steering is now centered, adjust tie rods to set the alignment at the wheels. If you have a non Traxxas servo horn, just use the hole that matches the stock horn and use sub trim until the servo saver arm is at 90 degrees to the chassis centerline. Donít have a stock servo horn? Donít attach the link to the servo horn only the servo saver arm. Put servo saver arm at 90 degrees to chassis centerline, place steering link (at traxxas spec length) over the servo horn and adjust trim until everything looks square, the hole to use in the horn should be obvious.

Last edited by Overdriven; 05-16-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

3. Setup is most accurately done with either wheels with no tires mounted or “setup wheels” installed on the vehicle. The tiny drive hex doesn’t provide much of a surface to measure accurately and tires flex or aren’t formed perfectly for accurate measurement. You’ll also want some thick cardboard, wood or similar material (or a setup board) with straight lines drawn on it to measure from and determine your settings.

4. The first thing that comes to mind is the engine is gummed up or rusty inside since it sounds like it has sat unused for awhile. Even after run oil can gum up over time. Pop the backplate and carb off to check for signs of rust. If none is found you can try using a solvent to dissolve any gummy residue. I’m sure there are special solvents available but some guys just use wd40 or acetone, letting it soak then slowly rotating, rinse repeat until it’s nice and free. Dump the solvent out, rotate the engine while dumping and finally getting some new oil in there.