Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
homemade 1/10th monster truck with steel solid axles, proline devastator tires >

homemade 1/10th monster truck with steel solid axles, proline devastator tires

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

homemade 1/10th monster truck with steel solid axles, proline devastator tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default homemade 1/10th monster truck with steel solid axles, proline devastator tires

Here some details about how i built my 1/10th monster truck

well i wanted to use the nice 2.6 tires proline devastor !

as usually, i want a strong driveline, strong axles and linking arms. So i choose the mugen mbx7r eco front and rear diff with the diff box. i will built the axles and arms

i wanted to share how i do it. note that i'm an amateur, i learned to arc weld by myself for RC ! i also now weld tables and shelves for my home.

those are my power tools. i use 2 grinders with adjustable speed ( basic ones turn too fast ! ) : 1 grinder to cut , 1 grinder to smooth the surface
i also have a good old dremel too

for this truck i use a small tube 20x20x1.5mm, cheap stuff, zing coated ( not the galvanized version where you need to remove the galvanization )

i made a aluminium part because the diff crown sticks out. the lower steel diff holder is 2 mm thick

JatoTheRipper and Jcharger13 like this.

Last edited by werner sline; 01-17-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

SUBSCRIBED! Now this sized truck is perfect. I love the 2.6 sized tires!!! Very scale. What sized motor and batteries are you going to run in this truck? What are you going to use for a chassis? What will the wheelbase ultimately be? Any idea?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MaX-D
SUBSCRIBED! Now this sized truck is perfect. I love the 2.6 sized tires!!! Very scale. What sized motor and batteries are you going to run in this truck? What are you going to use for a chassis? What will the wheelbase ultimately be? Any idea?
thank you, i wanted to have a truck similar to the ones in the "trigger king" videos.

wheelbase will be 32cm, might be a bit short, but i want a agile truck to flip !

motor will be 1/8 sized 2350kv trackstar, or maybe even 2200kv neu motor running on 4s ( because the truck will be heavy )

chassis will be the one from my older monster truck. but i will not keep the cantilever suspension.
i will no re-use the old axles because back then, i used the weak hobao hyper 9e transmission ( it had weak 12x8x4mm ball bearing all over )

i like this kind of simple chassis to save weight.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

That's a cool chassis. It reminds me of Max-D's chassis. I would pay you to build me a truck like this! I don't have the time nor the resources.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

That's a cool chassis. It reminds me of Max-D's chassis. I would pay you to build me a truck like this! I don't have the time nor the resources.
i always make the same reply : i'm short of time too and would not have the time to built it for somebody else ! days don't have enough hours !! i got many things going on and i wish i could do more !
Old 10-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Holy cow! This is awesome. Nice work on those axles.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by werner sline
i'm short of time too and would not have the time to built it for somebody else ! days don't have enough hours !!
We are in the same boat. I'm anxiously looking forward to this build.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

We are in the same boat. I'm anxiously looking forward to this build.
thanks for your understanding man, any welder could do the job, just show him those picture. the rest requires more work : the steering knuckles are more complicated : there are more parts
holding the ball bearings and those are not easy to adjust perfectly. i 'm far from perfection and had to file and cheat a bit to get a nice free steering !

i got many projects that i want to do ASAP !! it looks like this :

- 1/10th homemade MT + stunts/freestyle video with various bodies
- 1/5th homemade MT +stunts video
- 1/7 cen reeper truggy on 6s + some jumps video then on 8s + speed video
- arrma notorious with some mods + full stunts video
- 1/8th buggy decaflip attemp + video
- 1/8 xray stunt truck seven flip backflip personal record attempt + video
- 1/7 cen reeper rebuild with longer suspension arms
- xray truggy rebuilt ?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

a bit more details about the steering knuckles. note i let a pro mill the basic ball bearing receiver. he didn't know that RC baalbearing are soft and don't like to be squizzed in to tight ! i had to drill the holes to widen them !

i chosse to weld the round baal bearing receiver to a square tube for many reasons :
- it's easier to weld to 1 piece than to 2 separate parts !
- i'm sure than the upper and lower "deck" are parallel !
- it hides a bit the universal joint, i like it

JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 AM
Tech Addict

Looking good!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Looking good!
honestly , it does not look that good lol ! but i like the fact that it is basic and that i will bash the heck of it !

so built it AND bash it really hard !!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trucks should be built like this so you can bash the snot out of them without something breaking every other run. Kudos to you my friend, I always enjoy your builds and videos!
Old 10-13-2018, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trucks should be built like this so you can bash the snot out of them without something breaking every other run. Kudos to you my friend, I always enjoy your builds and videos!
thank you , i appreciate. i hope RC monter trucks's durability will evolve as it did for the real monster truck !

i could work more and to get a first look

front axle : i changed the servo holder to a lower position to use a low profile servo : this cheap one from hobbyking has 12kg of torque and it worked OK on my previous MT.
i can use a single upper arm thanks to my design : it's the lower arms who keep the axle centered.
i use a redcat 1/5th upper arm i had laying around !

this is a close up of the steering knuckles and their parts

i will try those savage shocks even if they use only 3mm shafts : i like the look they give to the truck and their low weight. i use the same shocks on my 1/8th monster truck and their's fragile plastic rod ends broke sometimes.
As i don't need all the 55mm of suspension travel, i will add the soft rubber block to help the plastic rod end to get less stress on crashes.

the truck might look ab bit too wide, i will see how the proline wheels + devastator tires will look to adjust the width ( with hex extensions )
Old 10-17-2018, 08:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by werner sline
thanks for your understanding man, any welder could do the job, just show him those picture. the rest requires more work : the steering knuckles are more complicated : there are more parts
holding the ball bearings and those are not easy to adjust perfectly. i 'm far from perfection and had to file and cheat a bit to get a nice free steering !

i got many projects that i want to do ASAP !! it looks like this :

- 1/10th homemade MT + stunts/freestyle video with various bodies
- 1/5th homemade MT +stunts video
- 1/7 cen reeper truggy on 6s + some jumps video then on 8s + speed video
- arrma notorious with some mods + full stunts video
- 1/8th buggy decaflip attemp + video
- 1/8 xray stunt truck seven flip backflip personal record attempt + video
- 1/7 cen reeper rebuild with longer suspension arms
- xray truggy rebuilt ?
That' s a long list of projects !
This 1/10 MT look good. Il like your style of building.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

i received my proline devastator tires and the brawler rims : nice tires ! it's cool to touch them after seing them for so long on youtube ! they are small and soft !

I use a mugen 1/8 buggy transmission and 17mm hex so i modified the brawler rims !
i took an old 17mm hex old buggy rim and cut it to screw it on the brawler rim using 3mm nuts : it's not finished yet but it works !

to be continued..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.