Best new Monster/Basher >

Best new Monster/Basher

Like Tree6Likes

Best new Monster/Basher

Old 03-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Best new Monster/Basher

I can get a new Traxxas XMAXX for $800 . Heard good things about the Losi super rock rey. Not sure what else is out there?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

While I’ve been on a 2 year break from my off road vehicles. I’ve got 2 XMaxx. It’s a blast of a truck. Size lets it run almost anywhere. Yet despite it size it’s still fun in a fairly small area. I’ve been interested in the Super Baja Rey. I’ve got the 1/10. But just don’t have a good place to use the larger version.

Few years ago it looked like large scale was going to become more of a thing. But now it’s shifted to scalers/trail trucks. Unfortunately it’s very hard to predict what could be coming. Hobby is in a strange spot to me. Arrma released 3s versions of their 6s buggy and truck last year. So I don’t expect anything from them. Horizon is still in a spot since the CEO suddenly died last year. Who knows what has been delayed or postponed till that situation is solved. Associated has been unpredictable at best in recent years. They release something then discontinue it. Traxxas just pulled a shocker with the Stampede kit. Could they do a XMaxx kit? They are very good at keeping things secret till they want it out.

There’s a kinda wildcard out there that had a some interest here. Serpent, more known for race vehicles, did a 1/8 monster truck based off their 1/8 Cobra buggy. There’s a thread here. But no one has one. Or has seen one.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have you had any troubles with the xmaxx? I know a guy that has one and the pinion and spur were destroyed. The pinion was loose on the motor shaft, bunch of broken teeth, all the gears were stripped on the spur. Replaced both and broke a tooth on the spur again. Not sure whats up with it. Cool truck though.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Unfortunately itís very hard to predict what could be coming. Traxxas just pulled a shocker with the Stampede kit. Could they do a XMaxx kit? They are very good at keeping things secret till they want it out.
True. I'm somewhat baffled by Traxxas. The E-Maxx has been discontinued since last summer I think (?), and still nothing (hobby shops should have had plenty time selling out old stock by now)!
I'm expecting an E-Maxx 2.0, like they did with the Revo. Only the E-Revo always had a good chassis from start, so I'd expect the E-Maxx 2.0 to be more like a 1/10 X-Maxx (as Trx adress their 8th scale trucks). I think that would be a big hit.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CoryRC View Post
Have you had any troubles with the xmaxx? I know a guy that has one and the pinion and spur were destroyed. The pinion was loose on the motor shaft, bunch of broken teeth, all the gears were stripped on the spur. Replaced both and broke a tooth on the spur again. Not sure whats up with it. Cool truck though.
Between my 2 there wasnít much that I didnít break. There were a few things that were a bit fustrating. But almost every part that broke was due to use. Not the brand.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xirton View Post
True. I'm somewhat baffled by Traxxas. The E-Maxx has been discontinued since last summer I think (?), and still nothing (hobby shops should have had plenty time selling out old stock by now)!
I'm expecting an E-Maxx 2.0, like they did with the Revo. Only the E-Revo always had a good chassis from start, so I'd expect the E-Maxx 2.0 to be more like a 1/10 X-Maxx (as Trx adress their 8th scale trucks). I think that would be a big hit.
E-Maxx was the one truck from them that never interested me. It possible they could do a 2.0. Also possible itís gone away. Of their lineup it was the least sold, and uncommon to see during my time.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:22 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, with no doubt the E-Maxx hasn't been selling well in recent years. It's the best selling monster truck of all time, but its height was 10+ years back. In stock form it's been obsolete for years (some might argue right from start lol)..

I'm pretty confident a 1/10 X-Maxx would make an instant hit and perfect replacement of the E-Maxx. Just surprised it's taking them so long. I'd say Traxxas is missing out on a huge opportunity, if they're solely going to offer the E-Revo in the 1/8 MT BL market (I consider the Stampede true 10th scale and the Summit isn't brushless).

Last edited by xirton; 03-22-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xirton View Post
Yes, with no doubt the E-Maxx hasn't been selling well in recent years. It's the best selling monster truck of all time, but its height was 10+ years back lol. In stock form it's been obsolete for years now.

I'm pretty confident a 1/10 X-Maxx would be an instant hit and perfect replacement of the E-Maxx. Just surprised it's taking them so long. I'd say Traxxas is missing out on a huge opportunity, if they're solely going to offer the E-Revo in the 1/8 MT BL market (I consider the Stampede true 10th scale and the Summit isn't brushless).
With the power of their marketing and research departments. They have probably looked at the current state of the hobby. And know more what sells and whatís in demand. Iíve always considered the Summit as itís own class. Thereís nothing else like it. Trying to squeeze in a 1/8 Version of the XMaxx, or an updated Emaxx might not be in demand as we think.

Iíve heard the stories of how popular the EMaxx was. And how it changed the hobby. That was before me. The ERevo and Savage Flux were hot trucks.

I keep thinking that until the next big improvement in electronics and batteries. The hobby is kinda stuck. At least for the monster truck side. 10-12s systems should be common by now. 4-5 years ago Castle offers a 12s motor with the hints of a 12s esc. Then scrapes the 12s idea and holds at 8s. And still nothing since. Itís just my thought that current systems are holding things back.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, the T/E-Maxx era was crazy! Nothing even comes close, not even the hot crawler/scale segment.
The market was much larger back then. Not surprising to see the industry struggling these days. Sad but true.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

how about the
LOSI XXL3E

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...k-rtr-los04015
Old 03-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

Aussie RC Playground had the head of Arrma on for an interview recently and he said there's some "Big" things to come in 2019 and that everybody should save their money and or sell their older rc's so they can get in on what Arrma has coming soon. To me that says they're coming out with a large scale truck. A lot of people are asking Arrma to come up with an X-Maxx competitor and I think they're going to do it.

scottc and xirton like this.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Backyard RC View Post
Aussie RC Playground had the head of Arrma on for an interview recently and he said there's some "Big" things to come in 2019 and that everybody should save their money and or sell their older rc's so they can get in on what Arrma has coming soon. To me that says they're coming out with a large scale truck. A lot of people are asking Arrma to come up with an X-Maxx competitor and I think they're going to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwSg5Y5r98
When did Vas start doing videos again? Last time a saw anything from him he was quitting again, then he got a bunch of donations. Nice job with product placement for the shelves

Well it was in May that the ďgame changingĒ but disappointing Nero was announced years back. Iíll be curious what they have. But Iím a bit, well more the a bit, skeptical as to what Horizon will allow Arrma to do. And considering Horizon situation with the passing of the CEO. Have to wait and see
Micah78 likes this.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Looking at his videos list it seems like he took two months off then started back up again four months ago. It's good to have him back.

I used to be concerned that Horizon would affect Arrma's future designs but after watching the interview I think the only things affected are the radio and some of the electronics. I'm excited to see what they come out with. He mentioned the possibility of having a smaller scale vehicle as well.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Tech Rookie

I love my X-Maxx. It is the only truck I drive nowadays.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:24 PM
RCB
Tech Rookie

I love the Xmaxx but really dislike traxxas now after the drama so im ignoring new traxxas stuff and using used or 3rd party on our two 1/10 scales.

So I'm going with the Tekno Mt410 as most popular its a thin line with xmaxx though but still way out in front of most.

Proline pro mt 4x4 mayb as the 1/10

I was getting the xmaxx but saw the drama when i was ready to start shopping saving for a year. But deceided MT410. But then i realised just how expensive the build is.

Here £415 then more now. I thought that included body and wheels lol. I found out no wheels. Forgave that then found out there's no shell either so i was out.

I ended up copying them though taking a buggy and truggy from one brand and mashing them togethet as a truck. I did a d8mt and i think its awesome i wish i just did this years ago. I want to mash a pair of losi's or something together next. Whatever is cheap.

Hot bodies D8T tessman have an epic spec but sell for nothing on ebay its like they are crazy old. But the newest D8T still shares most parts. I think the newest nitro D8T is the exact same thing as the tessman spec. But it sells as roller for around $150 i brought two of them one already converted to brushless. Plus other stuff needed and still cheaper than the Mt410 bare kit.

overall prices ive saved atleast 200 but have a full spare roller plus box of spares. The stuff is ignored on ebay ive been snapping it up cheap.

Just a pair of new hubs costs half of a used roller lol. Gd condition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service