• 1 Post By xirton
  • 1 Post By marco70
  • 1 Post By SlowLST2

TYRE CHANGE

Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TYRE CHANGE

Hello all,
I've bought some second/hand wheels with tyres, I want to spray the wheels so I want to remove the tyres, is there any particular way this should be done ?
e.g. do you cut the tyres off, bearing in mind I want to re-use them, & must they be glued back on, also should tyres be 'airtight' when squeezed ?
Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the tires are glued with CA or Tire glue, you will have a difficult time removing the tires without destroying the wheels or tires. I’ve done it, but it’s painstaking work with a Dremel, Xacto knife, utility knife, and some acetone.

Acetone will dissolve the glue, but it will also dissolve most plastic wheels. So because of that, I recommend the hard way which is mechanical removal. It’s a pain in the ass, but it’s the only way to save the wheels from total destruction.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For best result, and easiest way, is to bake them in an oven. Watch this video and it shouldn't be too hard.
Mechanical removal is not recommended, nor is boiling.

the rc guy likes this.

Last edited by xirton; 03-17-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

The oven method works everytime for me.
250 for 15 mins. If that doesnt do it I increase the temp by 20 degrees and do it again, repeat until theyre all done.
Do NOT attempt to pull the tires loose until everything cools, hot wheels are soft and deform if you try to remove the tires while theyre still hot.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

I’ve never had luck with using the oven for removing tires. Or rather, I should say I’ve never gone through with it completely because of the smell. I’ve baked Engines and tires and neither one makes my wife very happy. So I resort to other means. So if you don’t care if your home May stink afterward, then go for it. Otherwise mechanical removal works well but is time consuming. Usually pre-glued aftermarket tires aren’t glued as well as if you’d done it yourself and often (at least for me using pre-mounted proline tires/wheels) come apart easier. YMMV.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

the wheels in a steel pot with water, boil them until they come unglued, it takes about 10 to 20 minutes
Micah78 likes this.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Iíve boiled tires many times and it worked every time.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
Iíve boiled tires many times and it worked every time.
How was the smell? Thatís my question. The couple times I tried it, it smelled like I was boiling swamp water and it stunk my kitchen up for 2 days. The wife was less than thrilled needless to say.

I had a couple sets of foams get pretty wet though - they got dunked in the Mississippi cesspool for a few minutes. Despite my efforts to dry them, Iím sure a little Mississippi funk was left behind.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:15 AM
Tech Addict

It stinks. Either way bake or boil, youve gotta ventilate the house.
In my experience, not every glue will let go at boiling temps. Hence why I now bake all my tires.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

If I was taking off glued tires Id use a toaster oven on my back porch no smell in house .
Old 03-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I spend a half hour with an Xacto knife and Dremel. Same result, no smell.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
How was the smell? Thatís my question. The couple times I tried it, it smelled like I was boiling swamp water and it stunk my kitchen up for 2 days. The wife was less than thrilled needless to say.

I had a couple sets of foams get pretty wet though - they got dunked in the Mississippi cesspool for a few minutes. Despite my efforts to dry them, Iím sure a little Mississippi funk was left behind.
I use a turkey fryer and do it outside. Just fill the pot with water instead of oil. Fire up the burner and boil those tires. I realize not everyone has one of these. Itís better than putting them in my oven and stinking the house up.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post

I use a turkey fryer and do it outside. Just fill the pot with water instead of oil. Fire up the burner and boil those tires. I realize not everyone has one of these. Itís better than putting them in my oven and stinking the house up.
Yep. Thatís how a real modeler will do it if they have the necessary hardware. I use a crockpot and antifreeze for cleaning gunky engines, but a crockpot wonít boil water. Itís all good - I usually only run two sets of tires to one set of wheels because the wheels are usually too rashed up to be able to glue well enough to anyway. If I know Iím gonna switch wheels/tires at some point, I donít glue as heavy so the tires can be removed easier. If Iím going for permanence, Iíll glue the crap out of them. Iíll be doing new tires on older wheels (pre-glued prolines) for my crackhead Jato soon.
Micah78 likes this.