Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
3.5 trophy hpi differential help >

3.5 trophy hpi differential help

3.5 trophy hpi differential help

Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 3.5 trophy hpi differential help

so I was curious if itís required to oil the differertials in these cars . I mean the manual says nothing about adding or filling it with oil as a maintenance type thing. So I assume the stock grease they use in there is good for awhile ?? Someone shine some light on this for me cause I donít even see a way to add or fill the differentials anyways ....
Old 01-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone ?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Very few are familiar with this car, but if it’s similar to the D8.... you can add oil as a tuning option...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have no clue on this car, but from the looks of it you should be able to use Diff oil with no issues.

They even have a gasket for the diffs

#101028 DIFFERENTIAL PADS

Make sure you have some extra gaskets just in case you open the diff and the original ones are no good.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Hey bro letís just go over your car, your buggy is easily disassembled with some tools so I would try to understand the places you are focused on improving. Your diffs. On the bottom of the chassis is 4 big (probably black) screws that hold in the front end and 6 smaller screws to take out that will detach your entire front end, then probably 4-6 screws in the front to disassemble the diff case and retrieve your diff, from there all you have to do is take out 4 screws from the ring gear to take it off and either empty or refil (not suggested just replace oil) the oils) ( 5 thousand weight front 7 thousand center 3 thousand rear) try and clean bearings with toothbrush and wd40 and clean all places that anything comes together on diff and diff cases. Put together and test. Heavier center oil makes the car more punchy and fast, heavier oils rear do the same and help rotation. Fronts are weird so test. I feel heavier front makes the car turn Smoother and less edgy.

Your engine, get someone to get it close cause nitro engines take awhile to understand completely and most engines are different. My opinion is your engine may be toast but who knows what u meant by melted.

Any questioms just message the Ge the people who respond nicely. We will help u out. Starting multiple threads will bring out the trolls.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Redheadrcguy View Post
so I was curious if it’s required to oil the differertials in these cars . I mean the manual says nothing about adding or filling it with oil as a maintenance type thing. So I assume the stock grease they use in there is good for awhile ?? Someone shine some light on this for me cause I don’t even see a way to add or fill the differentials anyways ....
if you do not have to do competitions I advise you to use the factory grease the silicone oil has no lubricating power, it is used in competitions (off-road) based on the hardness used it is able to increase both the front and rear traction according to the different driving styles of professional pilots

the 1/8 scale buggy in kit or in the RTR version have an exceptional traction even without the use of these oils (silicone) if you use the model in (on-road) with the differentials filled with silicone oil you would decrease the life of the gears

the maintenance of the differentials of a RTR model must be performed after 15/20 days of use (amateur) not competitions in the future for planetary, satellites and bevel gears, using white grease, it controls the operating temperatures of gears very well

Last edited by marco70; 01-05-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Any recommendations as to what white grease will work for the 3 differentials . Thanks
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Tech Adept

you can use any high performance white lithium grease these are the features:

Applications

All models of ball and roller bearings, even if large and working at high speed, for industrial lubrication and machines (earth moving, building, gardening, agricultural, etc.).

Recommended for moving parts of machinery, driven cables, guides, couplings, threaded spindles, splined shafts, drive chains and gears and motorcycle chains.

Advantages

Usable at temperatures between -40 and + 300 į C.

Maximum resistance to very high loads (EP)

High anti-corrosion and anti-wear properties (AW).

Technical features

NLGI Consistency: Class 2.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Is it ok if that grease gets on the orings?
Old 01-06-2019, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

you have to grease gears, planes and satellites that you do not have to fill the plastic case of the differential periodically maintained o-rings you have to in any case be replaced to take advantage of the used silicone or lithium grease

Last edited by marco70; 01-06-2019 at 01:11 AM.