Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Cvd excessive vibration - in phase vs out of phase? >

Cvd excessive vibration - in phase vs out of phase?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Overdriven
  • 1 Post By BJoe

Cvd excessive vibration - in phase vs out of phase?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Cvd excessive vibration - in phase vs out of phase?

I have been having problems with excessive vibration with my MIP cvds. I came across some posts talking about “in phase” and “out of phase” alignment. Can someone explain this? I was not aware of this before.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:23 PM
JC3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've got a bit of a vibration issue on my touring car. I'm interested to hear about this also.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The “in phase” refers to u joints on a shaft and how the u joint on one end should be oriented to the one on the other end. If the joints on both ends aren’t oriented correctly to each other the joints on each end of the shaft will try to turn at different speeds resulting in binding possibly broken parts.

If your phasing is correct check the shafts to make sure they are straight.

Edit: I’m not sure if this applies to cvd joints, it may only apply to universal joints. CVD stands for Constant Velocity so the joints on either end will be spinning at the same speed regardless of their orientation. Couldn’t hurt to line up the forks and crosspins in the cvd though. That’s assuming it’s even possible to clock the cvd’s differently which is usually only possible on telescoping shafts that can be separated.
JatoTheRipper and BJoe like this.

Last edited by Overdriven; 10-10-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:08 PM
JC3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Okay, I see now that this does not apply to me. lol
Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

Hi

If I remember right the MIP CVD's need to be setup opposite of what is shown in the picture.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AJ DRAGON View Post
Hi

If I remember right the MIP CVD's need to be setup opposite of what is shown in the picture.
I don't think that's correct.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:58 PM
KMN
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Only time I've had problems with MIP's or really CVD's is when they are either bent, have a bent crosspin (even slightly), a bent stub axle (again, even slightly), or if the bearings are starting to go. In phase and out of phase refers to the illustration above, which is a double universal style joint. MIP C-Splines will suffer this same issue, but not CVD's. If you're running CVD's with a locked differential, make sure the diff is set so that both sides rotate at the same angle and you're good.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
The “in phase” refers to u joints on a shaft and how the u joint on one end should be oriented to the one on the other end. If the joints on both ends aren’t oriented correctly to each other the joints on each end of the shaft will try to turn at different speeds resulting in binding possibly broken parts.

If your phasing is correct check the shafts to make sure they are straight.

Edit: I’m not sure if this applies to cvd joints, it may only apply to universal joints. CVD stands for Constant Velocity so the joints on either end will be spinning at the same speed regardless of their orientation. Couldn’t hurt to line up the forks and crosspins in the cvd though. That’s assuming it’s even possible to clock the cvd’s differently which is usually only possible on telescoping shafts that can be separated.
If you have CVD's with the joints at both ends, they need to be in phase, just like a u-joint does. I've seen an out of phase MIP for a SCX10 cause some nasty axle wrap like movements until I corrected it for him. Even when the shaft and joints are all in the same plane, you can get vibrations bad enough to make the equipment nearly unusable until fixed.

If it has the more traditional CVD's with a CV at the wheel end and a bone at the other end, it could be bent or some other issue.
JatoTheRipper likes this.