Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Cost to build up a monster truck? >

Cost to build up a monster truck?

Like Tree7Likes

Cost to build up a monster truck?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is very difficult to make a big heavy RC truck that can survive a long time with the amount of unsprung weight that solid axles have. Every time the wheels hit a bump, more than half the drivetrain gets kicked up into the air.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
It is very difficult to make a big heavy RC truck that can survive a long time with the amount of unsprung weight that solid axles have. Every time the wheels hit a bump, more than half the drivetrain gets kicked up into the air.
indeed ! but that unsprung weight is what make solid axles monster truck so unique ! they are bouncy ! my homemade monster truck made jumps that no other RC could do !

the problem is that no solid axles truck on the market can take some abuse !
Old 06-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

There are solid axles more than strong enough, but because they are optimized for rock crawling, they add even more unsprung weight. Check out Vanquish Products, they have very strong axles for the Wraith/AX10/SMT10.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I've actually heard some Clod Buster racers say that the aftermarket for them is so expansive that you can build one entirely from aftermarket parts without ever owning the actual truck it's based on. Kinda neat, and it makes me want to try just that some day. I've seen that you can even get entire solid axle/diff housings made from aluminum, the only part I figured you would at least HAVE to had used from a donor kit/sprue order from Tamiya.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

For Clodbusters, the aftermarket needs to be that expansive, because none of the OEM parts can hold up to rough driving.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Will have to disagree with stock clod parts not holding up. Only after market parts I use is aluminum knuckles.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

once again it always depends on what you do with your RC guys ! some drifts, some jumps, some make silly tricks, some are simply unlucky !! the best thing is to show a video of what YOU call bashing ! thanks 2018, youtube is free, headcams are cheap !
Billy Kelly likes this.

Last edited by werner sline; 07-23-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
For Clodbusters, the aftermarket needs to be that expansive, because none of the OEM parts can hold up to rough driving.
Not true at all.

To the OP's question it depends on how extreme you want to go. If you want a high quality chassis with tons of power and durability you're looking at over $1,000. If you want a stock Clod racer or something like that you can get away with half that.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The huge aftermarket is a function of 1) 30 or so years of selling and 2) continued popularity.

I have added a number of small braces to my clod axles (mainly in the knuckles) and the axles have been holding up for months. I grind a gear from time to time but overall the stock parts are decent.