Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
what type of 1/8 monster truck do most people buy and want to buy ? >

what type of 1/8 monster truck do most people buy and want to buy ?

Like Tree7Likes

what type of 1/8 monster truck do most people buy and want to buy ?

Old 06-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default what type of 1/8 monster truck do most people buy and want to buy ?

i was wondering what 1/8 monster truck has the best sells ever and what buyers actually want ! i mean bigger trucks, not the 1/10th lighter trucks

i think the most sold 1/8 monster trucks EVER are :
1 hpi savage
2 arrma kraton
3 traxxas xmaxx

so it seems that, for example people don't care much about a center diff ! what do you think ?

but what do people actually buy and actually want ? i mean from the point of view of a manufacturer, what should they do to sell those bigger trucks ?
Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

come on folks i need some point of views !
Old 06-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My one and only MT pick is a Losi LST2. It’s been called “Stupidly Overbuilt” and I think it lives up to that label.. It might be “outdated”, but someone would have to pry mine from my cold dead hands. LoL.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
My one and only MT pick is a Losi LST2. It’s been called “Stupidly Overbuilt” and I think it lives up to that label.. It might be “outdated”, but someone would have to pry mine from my cold dead hands. LoL.
interesting ! i always liked the beffy double suspension arms on this truck. did you ever break some ?

what would you want/expect from a new truck ?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My personal favourites are still the Savage, E-Maxx and LST2/Muggy. When custom built they're all bulletproof. Very fun trucks. I've found 1/8 to be the perfect size, as X-Maxx is just too big for my likings (cool but inconvinient). E-maxx is advertised as 1/10, but is the same size as Savage Flux.

I haven't seen numbers, but I'd guess t/e-maxx to be the best selling mt of all time, with Savage and Revo taking the rest of the podium. Although popular in recent years, I don't think the Kraton is even close yet. The market for hobby grade offroad trucks has seen a significant declain in recent years, as compared to the golden years of the 2000s.

Micah78 likes this.

Last edited by xirton; 06-02-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline View Post
interesting ! i always liked the beffy double suspension arms on this truck. did you ever break some ?

what would you want/expect from a new truck ?
I have broken 3 arms in the 10 years I’ve ran Losi MTs. Those breakages were due to hitting things like mailbox posts and such.

I would want a strong rig that can handle being beat on. I would also only consider Nitro/Methanol burning engines. NO gas and NO electric. I would want the truck to come with a better engine. The cheap RTR engines don’t do it for me.

That’s the start of my list anyway.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Nitro - LST2.

Electric - truggy with big tires. I.e. Arrma Karton and co.

What I personally want is something that has a decent price and does not require a ton of upgrades and mods to be durable. So for me to Traxxas is out of the question for that reason.

I am not a “purist” about having a “real“ MT as opposed to a truggy for example. What I want is performance and durability. Also, a broad range of sources for parts.

For that reason and others, I am also not interested in Tekno, though I believe they are top quality etc. But I don’t believe the difference in price corresponds to the increase in durability and performance. OK, if you already have the components to put in, then OK. But building from scratch, the cost would just be too high. So I would basically take a Kraton.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

I have a Pro-Line Pro MT 4x4 and yesterday I got the new Arrma Outcast v3. They are both awesome!
Old 06-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

They want and buy those RCs that social media stars are promoting.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FunnieKid View Post
They want and buy those RCs that social media stars are promoting.
stars like rc adventures, aussie rc playground and such ?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HighLifeMT View Post
I have a Pro-Line Pro MT 4x4 and yesterday I got the new Arrma Outcast v3. They are both awesome!
isn't the outcast a bit too much wheely happy ?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Nitro - LST2.

Electric - truggy with big tires. I.e. Arrma Karton and co.

What I personally want is something that has a decent price and does not require a ton of upgrades and mods to be durable. So for me to Traxxas is out of the question for that reason.

I am not a “purist” about having a “real“ MT as opposed to a truggy for example. What I want is performance and durability. Also, a broad range of sources for parts.

For that reason and others, I am also not interested in Tekno, though I believe they are top quality etc. But I don’t believe the difference in price corresponds to the increase in durability and performance. OK, if you already have the components to put in, then OK. But building from scratch, the cost would just be too high. So I would basically take a Kraton.
i know what you mean. i'm also willing to give any brand a chance as long as the thing is good and durable out of the box.
the CEN reeper truck i choose lately seems alright except that is is known for its leaking shocks. i will change them anyway. i can't wait to see if this thing is durable
what do you think of this truck ?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xirton View Post
My personal favourites are still the Savage, E-Maxx and LST2/Muggy. When custom built they're all bulletproof. Very fun trucks. I've found 1/8 to be the perfect size, as X-Maxx is just too big for my likings (cool but inconvinient). E-maxx is advertised as 1/10, but is the same size as Savage Flux.
I haven't seen numbers, but I'd guess t/e-maxx to be the best selling mt of all time, with Savage and Revo taking the rest of the podium. Although popular in recent years, I don't think the Kraton is even close yet. The market for hobby grade offroad trucks has seen a significant declain in recent years, as compared to the golden years of the 2000s.
yeah you're right, i forgot the t/e-maxx
why do you think that the market is smaller now ? isn't there more choice than ever ?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Your list is good but missing the LST platform, once you go Losi you never go back

my xmaxx will probably never break a part, but just chasing my dogs around the yard is not much of a test...

and ive said in the past the kraton is a truggy/buggy so it shouldn't be in a monster truck list, it should be compared to other truggys and it would win on price, i bet some of the top guys could take home wins with it easy...

every center diff i have usually gets 500k or higher, I hate watching my front wheels spinning in the air.

good topic by the way sometimes the forum gets a little boring ..
Old 06-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
Your list is good but missing the LST platform, once you go Losi you never go back

my xmaxx will probably never break a part, but just chasing my dogs around the yard is not much of a test...

and ive said in the past the kraton is a truggy/buggy so it shouldn't be in a monster truck list, it should be compared to other truggys and it would win on price, i bet some of the top guys could take home wins with it easy...

every center diff i have usually gets 500k or higher, I hate watching my front wheels spinning in the air.

good topic by the way sometimes the forum gets a little boring ..
i agree with the term monster truck : but for most people, RC monster truck = xmaxx/kraton/tmaxx and no more clod buster !

anyway, i mostly wanted to know what monster truck are the most sold and what people want

did you run a truck like the savage who had no center diff ? isn't it frustrating after a while ?

when i think monster truck, i like this kind of picture

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service