Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
what type of 1/8 monster truck do most people buy and want to buy ? >

what type of 1/8 monster truck do most people buy and want to buy ?

Like Tree7Likes

what type of 1/8 monster truck do most people buy and want to buy ?

Old 07-14-2018, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thumper01 View Post
Fun thread idea! I would say the best selling RC monster truck of all time would be the T-Maxx, without a doubt. The E-Maxx is probably next in line for sales, especially now that electric has taken over in popularity. Back in the nitro MT heyday, I had almost every one of them: LST, T-Maxx, Revo, MGT, GST, Savage. My favorite was easily the LST lineup.

Nowadays it seems large-tired truggys are outselling MT style platforms. Outcast, Kraton, MT410, Pro MT 4x4, MT4G3, etc are all much easier to work on and handle better than trucks like the E Revo, LST 3XLe, Colossus/Reeper, Savage Flux, etc.

I like both styles of MTs for different reasons. I also really dig solid axle MTs. So I guess you could say I like all three types: solid axle, high COG (TVP, or multi-level chassis), and flat pan truggy-style. They each have their own unique driving characteristics, IMO.

I think right now, the Arrma Kraton is my pick for all around fun basher truck. Is it really an MT? - Well, close enough for me. One thing's for sure: They are fast, tough, and a blast to drive no matter what RC category they fall into. That's my $.02
your 0.2 cents are welcome like a shower of 100 dollars bills ! lol ! this monster truck section is way to quiet ! sadness...
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been running my 8T v3 for awhile now getting the engine broken in.. AND getting used to the truggy feels. It’s my first truggy and having come from ST and MT background, it’s been a different experience. True off-road bashing is probably best suited to full-on monster trucks like the LSTs. The traction and ground clearance is so much better than truggy. I’m biased to the LSTs... I’ve had a couple of T-Maxx trucks, which were okay.. but they were nowhere near as rugged at my LST2. Savages seem to break more often and are harder to work on. A friend had one - I could never run with him because his savage (.25 model) would almost always break within the first 5 minutes.

I have my pair of Traxxas stadium trucks, a pair of LST2s, and an 8T truggy. Probably all I’ll ever have for trucks besides boats and planes.

A Nitro rustler is pretty brutal with a 3.3 Engine in it - way overkill.. but with Jato suspension arms and some tall gearing, it’s actually pretty stable at high speed.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
I have been running my 8T v3 for awhile now getting the engine broken in.. AND getting used to the truggy feels. Itís my first truggy and having come from ST and MT background, itís been a different experience. True off-road bashing is probably best suited to full-on monster trucks like the LSTs. The traction and ground clearance is so much better than truggy. Iím biased to the LSTs... Iíve had a couple of T-Maxx trucks, which were okay.. but they were nowhere near as rugged at my LST2. Savages seem to break more often and are harder to work on. A friend had one - I could never run with him because his savage (.25 model) would almost always break within the first 5 minutes.

I have my pair of Traxxas stadium trucks, a pair of LST2s, and an 8T truggy. Probably all Iíll ever have for trucks besides boats and planes.

A Nitro rustler is pretty brutal with a 3.3 Engine in it - way overkill.. but with Jato suspension arms and some tall gearing, itís actually pretty stable at high speed.
Do you have any videos of your 8T yet?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cardiak View Post
Do you have any videos of your 8T yet?
I have taken a couple vids, but because Iíve been working on breaking the engine in, I havenít been doing much other than just putzing around. Once I get a little more time on the engine, Iíll lean it down and give it a beat down. I am also waiting for my new manifold to come in from Planet Hobby. After the manifold comes, Iíll definitely get some videos up. It should make this P5 really shred.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here’s a shorty video testing my custom top plate on the bump box firing up the P5. I took the video for Karl who sold me the truggy, but I figured I may as well post it. I’m sure the experts will pick on me about something, so I might as well put it out there.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Thumper01 View Post
Fun thread idea! I would say the best selling RC monster truck of all time would be the T-Maxx, without a doubt. The E-Maxx is probably next in line for sales, especially now that electric has taken over in popularity. Back in the nitro MT heyday, I had almost every one of them: LST, T-Maxx, Revo, MGT, GST, Savage. My favorite was easily the LST lineup.

Nowadays it seems large-tired truggys are outselling MT style platforms. Outcast, Kraton, MT410, Pro MT 4x4, MT4G3, etc are all much easier to work on and handle better than trucks like the E Revo, LST 3XLe, Colossus/Reeper, Savage Flux, etc.

I like both styles of MTs for different reasons. I also really dig solid axle MTs. So I guess you could say I like all three types: solid axle, high COG (TVP, or multi-level chassis), and flat pan truggy-style. They each have their own unique driving characteristics, IMO.

I think right now, the Arrma Kraton is my pick for all around fun basher truck. Is it really an MT? - Well, close enough for me. One thing's for sure: They are fast, tough, and a blast to drive no matter what RC category they fall into. That's my $.02
well said, i've said it before but who remembers the maxxtraxx forums back in the day? moved so fast you couldnt find your thread after a couple hours.
oh and to answer your question "Is the kraton really an mt" no its a truggy
Micah78 likes this.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
well said, i've said it before but who remembers the maxxtraxx forums back in the day? moved so fast you couldnt find your thread after a couple hours.
oh and to answer your question "Is the kraton really an mt" no its a truggy
Yeah, those forums were hoppin' back during the nitro MT craze! And yes, the Kraton is a truggy - but it's a MONSTER of an RC!
Old 08-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Ive made my way back into the monster madness. my first rc being a t-maxx I've always had a soft spot for the HCG beasts. I've currently built up a savage xl flux and a e-maxx, they are both fun trucks but the savage takes the crown in my opinion. it takes every obstacle you throw at it and asks for more, both trucks are great trucks. The only thing that worries me is parts for both are getting difficult to find, the MT market isn't what it used to be.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

today, car manufacturers are using truggy rtr masking them as monster trucks the truggys are giant buggy, balanced simple maintenance, but do not have those particular characteristics of monster trucks in monster trucks losi type xxl, savage flux etc ... the considerable traction is discharged to the ground with little effort to the full advantage of the engines is the advantage of the central reducers that these models use this is what differentiates monster trucks from the various categories buggy, truggy etc ..., but all means must be subject to the same law (maintenance)

I personally never buy an electric truggy 1/8 to 4s 6S because not having central reducers that greatly reduce the effort of the engines in the long run I would find myself with an unreliable vehicle. The 1/8 truggys are heavy enough to overheat the best BL combos kyosho was the only one to propose a 6s electronics with a 1500kv BL engine (psycho kruyser truggy 1/8 st-r) that could not be used for competitions nor for driving

Last edited by marco70; 08-05-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Like it has been said here, the E Maxx is definitely the biggest all time sale record for MT's but its about the dumpiest thing still sold in stores today. For those who aren't just traxxas fan boys, who are researching things at all, they are going to Arrma now. As far as true monster trucks, Arrma really just does the Nero, which isn't really the greatest out of the box. The Losi LST is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, they just went nuts with it, especially the new one, the savage flux has been the classic, tried and true, durable monster truck but its design is old and boring. The X Maxx is the new buzz worth truck, everyone that is into this stuff seems to have one and they love them, they are all over and a guaranteed hit on social media.

The new E Revo could be a top seller, Traxxas just kind of buys all their sales through ridiculous amounts of marketing but they need to be a bit more brave and abandon some of their old stuff for much improved, completely redesigned models. I am torn when I saw this because I love that I can still take my 15 year old rustler to any hobby shop in the country and get any parts I want but in the spirit of advancement, they need to move on.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hated my Savage (worst RC I've ever owned). Hate my T-Maxx. The only monster truck I'd even consider now it a MT410. Truggy with monster truck front and rear clips.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
Hated my Savage (worst RC I've ever owned). Hate my T-Maxx. The only monster truck I'd even consider now it a MT410. Truggy with monster truck front and rear clips.
why did you hate you savage ?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline View Post
why did you hate you savage ?
Anything that I needed to fix, have to tear the whole truck apart. I can't even count on one hand how many times I had to take a TVP off. Roto-Start on a 5.9 engine? Guess what, that engine is so big a roto-start ain't turning it. Just a complete money pit. Glad I got rid of it.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
Anything that I needed to fix, have to tear the whole truck apart. I can't even count on one hand how many times I had to take a TVP off. Roto-Start on a 5.9 engine? Guess what, that engine is so big a roto-start ain't turning it. Just a complete money pit. Glad I got rid of it.
yeah indeed, i understand that ! i was pissed of by hpi long shocks : any type of savage HPI shocks are terrible !!
Old 09-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Tech Initiate

This is a great thread. This is a subject that I can relate to. I have recently decided to get a new truck for bashing so I researched for hours and hours. This is what I came up with...

Since this is going to be strictly a basher my main concerns were durability and badassness. This immediately took Traxxas out of the running. Not bashing them (no pun intended), I own two but they are not rock solid like I want. Lot of fun and easy to fix, but not what I was looking for. I have no interest in nitro so my choice had to be electric. If I want the most fun and reliability it needs to be a 1/8 scale. This narrows it down considerably. I am very impressed with the Tekno MT410. It may be the greatest basher on the market. The problem with that is I just don't see the value for the money. I don't mind spending a little more for quality but I'm going to be beating it up. For me the price is way out of line. Tekno is out. The kits are nice but way to pricey for what you get, and don't get. So now i was looking for the greatest RTR basher on the planet. There was only one road to go down here and that is Arrma. I checked them all out and every one is a winner. It all depends on your driving style. The outcast is great but the short wheelbase makes it out for me. The front comes up way too easily. The Talion is unbelievably fast and durable but it is not the most stable at high speed on rough ground. I am not looking for a buggy so the Typhon is out. I believe I have now found the best RTR 1/8 scale truck made (for me).. Now I am the proud new owner of an Arrma Kraton. I doubt I will regret it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.