Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree122Likes

Am I Crazy to Want the New Erevo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

If you file for patent for basic RC components then yes you do it to shut down competition of weaker companys that don't have the money to take a legal battle. That is what traxxas is doing, why shouldn't they? It has worked in the past and it works now but most hobbyists don't like it.

As it is now, traxxas can pretty much claim patent for any RC item that has not yet been granted patent from another company and get it because they have the resources to do so. But that doesn't mean traxxas did it first or was the first one to use that item in such a way. Anybody expect the competitors to fight against traxxas? They can't, traxxas is too big and they will just keep on appealing untill the competitors can't pay the lawyers anymore that is how your legal system in US works. Plenty of people get their ideas stolen and get patented by others but since they have less money that can't do so much. Traxxas knows this of course, they have planned this all along to shut down competition.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
It's not often that huge innovations, such as brushless power and LiPo batteries, come around. Those were invented and perfected outside of RC anyway. So, by your standards, brushless motors and LiPo batteries aren't RC innovations since they came from elsewhere. Correct?

Tamiya had unlocking diffs long before Traxxas if you want to get nitpicky.

The TRX-4 put everything together and made it the total package that worked well. I don't know of any RC that has every feature on your list and put them together to make them work so well. That, to me, is innovation.

But, you'r right, innovation comes in various levels from ground breaking to little tweaks.
You are correct, most of the real big gains come from outside the hobby and we get the benefit on our toys. I also think I may be guilty of grading Traxxas on a curve, which may or may not be fair I'll let others decide.

I think of it like this. My condo has A/C, wi-fi, electronic locks and usb connections on the electrical outlets. I'd never call my condo innovative. I think of A/C and wi-fi as the innovations and the people that created (iterated) on those thing were innovative. Seeing other people make things and thinking "I'd like those things in my thing" isn't IMHO an innovation.

Either way, if they update the Summit, I'd buy another. I love that thing.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Hey, just add "for RC use" of any hardware and only traxxas will be the ones than can sell their items in US. Because this is what is happening and it needs to stop, otherwise they will suck the market dry of competition. Again, the proline mt 4x4 can't be sold with waterproof reciever box and wheely bar, totally absurd thanks to traxxas.
DRTMI likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

so the market dries up from all these patent thief's .if your warned for years to stop.and you don't .sued.. no ch11 will stop a patent suit..pay to ply or steal
Old 03-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I think what we can conclude is:

The new E-Revo is better than the old one, and you're not crazy for wanting one if that's the kind of vehicle you like, but half of RCTech will hate you for BS ideological reasons.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

if anyone wants 1 get 1 who cares about 1/2 of whatever ..hate lol
Old 03-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Nobody has hated on the e-revo 2.0, we are just exposing the evil within hehe.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Biz73
It's legal for them to do, but to they certainly didn't invent a box with a rubber gasket that makes it waterproof, they just added "for RC use" to the end. They sued HPI for using one. They got the patent because no one had applied for one, not because they innovated anything. Their patents on things they truly did invent isn't the problem.

If you like Traxxas, cool, I have no problem with it. I'm just pointing out why some people have issues with their business practices.
In that case hate lots of companies even outside of RC. When you acquire patents you have the right to defend them.

And patents can be fought if you can prove you invented something before somebody else patented it.

The whole patent system is complicated and only patent lawyers fully understand it.

I just don't understand why you'd hate Traxxas for doing what companies, in and out of RC, do.

Originally Posted by FunnieKid
Nobody has hated on the e-revo 2.0, we are just exposing the evil within hehe.
There's no evil. It's just business. That's the point.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Wow guys yall got this way off topic maybe take it somewhere else?
On topic I got to see one the other day. While the upgrades are welcomed. I don't know if it was because I forgot to eat me wheaties that morning, but it felt heavier than my Summit. I'm still undecided if I'm going to get one. Starting to lean towards another truck.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It was inevitable. There's a corollary to Godwin's Law that states: All threads about Traxxas products will eventually resort to comparing Traxxas to Hitler.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
It was inevitable. There's a corollary to Godwin's Law that states: All threads about Traxxas products will eventually resort to comparing Traxxas to Hitler.
Look man. I spent my hard earned money on an Arrma Nero. Well before the Traxxas lawsuit. I have a couple Traxxas vehicles. It makes me sick to think Traxxas is suing Arrma over the lay down shocks. There are lots of Chinese copy's of RC's everywhere. I just don't think the Nero is one of them. So what if the shocks are lay down. The chassis is completely different. The Revo doesn't have locking diffs. That's different. It leaves me and anyone else who purchased a Nero/Big Rock screwed. If any of you guys can't understand that, I don't know what to say. I'm pooched. I now have a $700 RC with no parts support or future. Why? Because Traxxas had the money to patent lay down shocks. How stupid. I guess maybe next they should patent using shock towers and sue everyone with shock towers. I don't have unlimited funds for RC. Obviously I made a huge mistake buying a Nero. Everything would be fine for me if Traxxas would just leave well enough alone. Now I own an expensive RC with no available parts or support. So that's why I and many others hate Traxxas. I just love RC but hate the bullcrap Traxxas is creating. Kyosho, Tamiya, and other old brands never sued each other over this stupid poo. Now Traxxas is making it an issue because other companies are coming out with stuff that's better and cheaper. Go ahead and defend it, your the idiot.
DRTMI and FunnieKid like this.

Last edited by DRTMI; 03-09-2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: language
Old 03-09-2018, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, all I did was point out that they didn't "invent" a lot of what they have patented and all of a sudden I'm in some Traxxas haters club. Whatever. Do they taste salty?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Make a backflip and all problems will go awai...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78
Look man. I spent my hard earned money on an Arrma Nero. Well before the Traxxas lawsuit. I have a couple Traxxas vehicles. It makes me sick to think Traxxas is suing Arrma over the lay down shocks. There are lots of Chinese copy's of RC's everywhere. I just don't think the Nero is one of them. So what if the shocks are lay down. The chassis is completely different. The Revo doesn't have locking diffs. That's different. It leaves me and anyone else who purchased a Nero/Big Rock screwed. If any of you guys can't understand that, I don't know what to say. I'm pooched. I now have a $700 RC with no parts support or future. Why? Because Traxxas had the money to patent lay down shocks. How stupid. I guess maybe next they should patent using shock towers and sue everyone with shock towers. I don't have unlimited funds for RC. Obviously I made a huge mistake buying a Nero. Everything would be fine for me if Traxxas would just leave well enough alone. Now I own an expensive RC with no available parts or support. So that's why I and many others hate Traxxas. I just love RC but hate the bullcrap Traxxas is creating. Kyosho, Tamiya, and other old brands never sued each other over this stupid poo. Now Traxxas is making it an issue because other companies are coming out with stuff that's better and cheaper. Go ahead and defend it, your the idiot.
Give it up. You continually spew misinformation and it shows you simply do not understand the Traxxas vs Arrma patent lawsuit. It's not simply about laydown suspension and never was.

There was a Traxxas vs Vaterra lawsuit, or at least a threat of one. Vaterra changed one single part on the Twin Hammers and re-released it. It still has laydown suspension. No patent has been infringed. How does that not prove, to people like you, that the patent lawsuit is not about generic laydown suspension?

Don't hate Traxxas for protecting their property. Hate Arrma for being unimaginative and not having the ingenuity to design their own truck. They copied the Revo. If it was a simple fix to avoid patent infringement, like it was on the Twin Hammers, Arrma would have already done it. But in Arrma's case they shamelessly copied the Revo and obviously the fixes required to avoid patent infringement aren't cheap nor easy.

Also blame yourself for buying the copy instead of the original.
BJoe likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

until we see all papers sent both ways if any on all this Traxxas v Hobbico(arrma) stuff we all can guess but its Done.. Bu I do enjoy a Great court battle of the running away B4.when a company wont pay there Bills ..lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.